OT: A quick "Thumbs up or down" to this...

B.Verlik wrote on 10/22/2005, 9:38 PM
Sorry to entertain this here, but it's slow on weekends and I need a quick answer. A friend has called asking my advice about a sound card he has a chance to pick up, used. The information I found on it was sketchy.
It's called Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96 with some kind of break out box. While the break out box appears to have 10 inputs total,(UPDATE: 4 Inputs and 6 outs) I got the impression that you could only record 4 at a time but couldn't find that info in print.
Since so many here have decent equipment, I'd like a real opinion from those who may have tried it or at least know about it.
Anyway, just a quick 'It's good" or "Stay away" is good enough for me. (bonus points for "why")
TIA

Comments

PipelineAudio wrote on 10/23/2005, 3:48 AM
Aardvark TDIF was my first multichannel card

I had to go to Soundscape Mixtreme because Aardvark was so slow in updating their stuff but they were always really cool about support.

I think theyre gone now

looks like the driver for xp is available here http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=325970

I grudgingly say "stay away", if the company is toast, the future could be bleak

Alex_Talionas wrote on 10/23/2005, 9:06 AM
There's been a few complaints with the Aardvark cards having conflicts with the Sony apps. I would do a search on these forums using the word "Aardvark" and you'll probably get lots of info. The main thing is like PipelineAudio mentions is that Aardvark went belly up, which means if you do run across any problems then you can't expect any driver updates to address them. Maybe all the problems have been worked out by now from the time I've read them last, but remember WinXP Pro 64 is the next OS knocking on our door and if you decide to ever go to that OS and your apps go with that OS, then you might be stuck with a boat anchor having a sound card without supported drivers. That's probably a good reason why you can get a great deal on an Aardvark sound card right about now.
B.Verlik wrote on 10/23/2005, 8:16 PM
Thank you for your replies. I'll advise him to stay away.