OT: Anyone else using Dropbox?

CClub wrote on 6/30/2010, 7:17 PM
I collaborated with an audio technician a few weeks ago on a concert, and he said that he would send me the files via ftp. Next thing I know, he sends me an email and says the audio files are at www.dropbox.com. Not another website account, I'm thinking. So I reluctantly open an account at dropbox.com, but I'm really liking it. He just throws the file in his "Dropbox" on his desktop, and then they automatically show up in my Dropbox icon on my desktop. Up to 2 GB storage for free; it seems like a great way to get customers relatively small trial files. Anyone using this resource and having problems?

Comments

John_Cline wrote on 6/30/2010, 7:35 PM
I'm using it and it works really well. Very convenient.

For those that are unfamiliar, you set up a folder on one (or more) machines and any time a file gets copied (or modified) in that folder, it is automatically copied to a web folder as well as to the local drives on all the machines. I just did a project for a client in Los Angeles. He copied the files into a folder on his hard drive and Dropbox automatically copied them to a folder on my hard drive. I worked on the project, which involved modifying some audio and video files and generating some new media files. It all showed up on his drive without having to do anything. Of course, it takes a while to transfer the files over the Internet, but Dropbox indicates what files are in the process of updating and then indicates when all the files are completely synced.
jeff-beardall wrote on 6/30/2010, 7:36 PM
I use it all the time for collaborating on edits, etc. I have a 50gb account...love the fact that I can send links to files from my iphone dropbox app as well.
ceejay7777 wrote on 6/30/2010, 8:17 PM
Yep, using it to transfer audio files on a regular project. Works well.
fldave wrote on 6/30/2010, 8:30 PM
Can you have multiple projects, and keep them separate from each other via password or similar?
John_Cline wrote on 6/30/2010, 8:47 PM
You can create many folders but only share certain folders with certain people (or groups of people), thus keeping the projects separate. You must specifically invite someone or specifically be invited to share the folder.
fldave wrote on 7/1/2010, 5:27 AM
Great! I'll go check it out!
TeetimeNC wrote on 7/1/2010, 8:41 AM
Great find - I just signed up.

SCS should take a look at their votebox for a nice sane approach to get product improvement input from customers. I'm submitting this idea to the lame SCS suggestion black hole.

/jerry
John_Cline wrote on 7/1/2010, 9:08 AM
"I'm submitting this idea to the lame SCS suggestion black hole."

Are you saying you know for a fact that no one reads or acts upon suggestions submitted to SCS?
bStro wrote on 7/1/2010, 10:05 AM
Also note that his is a great way to easily sync files between your computers. The Internet has some great tips for less obvious ways to use Dropbox and ways to improve its effectiveness. Just search for "Dropbox tips."

For the record, you don't have to create a Dropbox account in order to receive files form someone using it. Just tell them to send you a link to the file instead of sharing it with you. Downside is that one can't link to a whole folder, only individual files.

Rob
TeetimeNC wrote on 7/1/2010, 11:24 AM
>Are you saying you know for a fact that no one reads or acts upon suggestions submitted to SCS?

John, let me rephrase it.

I did submit this idea to the SCS suggestion web page which is probably reviewed but unfortunately offers no visibility into the process for SCS customers, and probably little insight for SCS regarding overall priority from the Customers' perspective.

My basis for that is there seems to be dozens of discussions here about seemingly simple bugs or improvements that have been submitted to SCS repeatedly over the years. I think dropbox.com offers a refreshing alternatie approach that at least allows customers to see what has been submitted, vote on the ones they think are most pressing, and view each item's relative importance from the perspective of the customer community.

Ok, stepping off soapbox now.

/jerry
Grazie wrote on 2/4/2011, 10:06 AM
I've needed to use this Dropbox option. Marvellous! It IS official, it IS "Grazie-Proof".

Grazie

fldave wrote on 2/4/2011, 11:50 AM
Yes, very handy!
amendegw wrote on 2/4/2011, 12:22 PM
"SCS should take a look at their votebox for a nice sane approach to get product improvement input from customers. I'm submitting this idea to the lame SCS suggestion black hole."fwiw, a while back I submitted a bug report that included sample clips that were too big for the "normal" attachment. Apparently, there is an internal Sony tool called "moveit" which performs a similar function as dropbox. Obviously, it is little-known & little-used.

...Jerry

System Model: Alienware Area-51m R2
System: Windows 11 Home
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz, 3792 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Memory: 64.0 GB
Display Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super (8GB), Nvidia Studio Driver 527.56 Dec 2022)
Overclock Off

Display: 1920x1080 144 hertz
Storage (12TB Total):
OS Drive: PM981a NVMe SAMSUNG 2048GB
Data Drive1: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB
Data Drive2: Samsung SSD 870 QVO 8TB

USB: Thunderbolt 3 (USB Type-C) port Supports USB 3.2 Gen 2, DisplayPort 1.2, Thunderbolt 3

Cameras:
Canon R5
Canon R3
Sony A9

Grazie wrote on 2/4/2011, 12:31 PM
And now I've got it on my iPhone which can now sync immediately to my PC.

Where have I been??

This is just the ticket for a client I have at the moment.

Grazie

Grazie wrote on 2/4/2011, 1:08 PM
Still trying with images.

Grazie

Steve Mann wrote on 2/4/2011, 3:30 PM
I've been using Dropbox since it was in beta. Love it.
Anyone who uses this link to get the free version of Dropbox will get both of us an extra 250MB on our accounts.

http://db.tt/KCWoOts

I thank you........
Grazie wrote on 2/5/2011, 12:01 AM
Oooooh, nasty. Thanks for the warning.

Grazie

A. Grandt wrote on 2/5/2011, 1:01 AM
I use it on my PC's as well. I tried it on my Android Phone, but disabled it when someone dropped a 1GB file in the shared folder...while I do have a 10GB/month 3G data plan, too many of those can be a bother...:)
ushere wrote on 2/5/2011, 3:17 AM
another happy user (free) down here......
Grazie wrote on 2/5/2011, 1:43 PM
How can I use DB and the Markup here on the SONY Forum to have a DB link to reveal here, in a post, an image.

TIA

Grazie

amendegw wrote on 2/5/2011, 2:10 PM
"How can I use DB and the Markup here on the SONY Forum to have a DB link to reveal here, in a post, an image."I think the answer lies here: http://www.dropbox.com/help/16

...Jerry

Edit: Right click on the image file in the public dropbox, dropbox->copy public link and create the img pseudo html as follows: [img=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20447760/Flowers-ColorCurves.PNG] which results in:

System Model: Alienware Area-51m R2
System: Windows 11 Home
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz, 3792 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Memory: 64.0 GB
Display Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super (8GB), Nvidia Studio Driver 527.56 Dec 2022)
Overclock Off

Display: 1920x1080 144 hertz
Storage (12TB Total):
OS Drive: PM981a NVMe SAMSUNG 2048GB
Data Drive1: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB
Data Drive2: Samsung SSD 870 QVO 8TB

USB: Thunderbolt 3 (USB Type-C) port Supports USB 3.2 Gen 2, DisplayPort 1.2, Thunderbolt 3

Cameras:
Canon R5
Canon R3
Sony A9

Grazie wrote on 2/5/2011, 2:42 PM
Eh? I don't see anything - yet? And that format looks like what I tried yesterday too.

Grazie
Grazie wrote on 2/5/2011, 2:44 PM
Hah! There it is! Excellent. Looks like I should've been more patient yesterday.

Thanks for your guidance.

Grazie

graphic_girl wrote on 2/5/2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the tip on DropBox... Steve I signed up with your link and got us both an extra 250MB or whatev.... <<< oops corrected to 250MB thanks Randy... it was late (or early) and I misread the numbers...

THANKS

gg
who's liking the drop box already... have large graphic files (and now 1 video :-)) and tired of using yousendit... so can't wait to try dropbox!