Comments

Coursedesign wrote on 9/17/2009, 12:06 AM
Why do you think I'm shilling for Apple? I have criticized them here many times, too.

I'm here because I love Vegas (and I spread the word about Vegas wherever I go).

Like many many others in this forum (probably thousands), I like Apple's hardware. We run both OS X and Windows on it.

(I do happen to think that both Windows XP & Vista are offensively ugly, but I obviously have to live with that until Windows 7 comes out.)

Those who have to work with outside post people don't have a choice. It's learn other platforms or sink. Those of you who are lonely wolves don't know how good you have it, your lives are so easy.
Grazie wrote on 9/17/2009, 12:39 AM
There are many rooms to visit in Life.

I'm glad I am alive NOW to be part of it all.

Grazie

Grazie wrote on 9/17/2009, 12:43 AM
I always wanted to ask: "What IS a "Shill"?

"One who poses as a satisfied customer or an enthusiastic gambler to dupe bystanders into participating in a swindle." - heavy!!!

Grazie
Rory Cooper wrote on 9/17/2009, 3:42 AM
I had to restrain myself from performing an act of worship
alltheseworlds wrote on 9/17/2009, 5:30 AM
Why do car analogies always get used in computer arguments ?
FilmingPhotoGuy wrote on 9/17/2009, 6:21 AM
I don't get it !!

Do old PC parts work in Apple products?
Laurence wrote on 9/17/2009, 6:58 AM
I've posted this a time or two over the years, but it's so funny that I have to do it again. Stick through the long intro because it's worth listening to the actual song (which starts 2:40 into the video). Here is "Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie" doing their classic hit "Every OS Sucks". Be one of several hundred computer nerds who has actually heard it! This song expains it all:

Coursedesign wrote on 9/17/2009, 9:21 AM
Totally brilliant, that guy did a beautiful job keeping the pacing just right throughout.

Created eight years ago, and it still rings as true as ever.

And it made me nostalgic thinking of sitting in front of a Teletype 33 looking at two lines of text coming in at 110 baud:

>You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

Amazing how great that was at the time, and it still tickles the imagination better than VR 3D immersion with 7.1 channel sound.

Our imagination has 4D vision (at least) and more ways of perception than equipment will ever match.
apit34356 wrote on 9/17/2009, 10:04 AM
"Teletype 33 looking at two lines of text coming in at 110 baud:" OMG...... punch cards..... carrying six to 10 card boxes between buildings(couple miles apart) because of security, fire safety.....thief.... students looking for campfire materials... ;-)

pushing a couple of 360/67s to their operating limits, watching the old water cooling towers mimic a nuclear cooling tower.... ;-) and watch it all be replace with less than 1/100 of the floorspace and no water cooling ...... and increase in computing power 10x at the minimum ....... but fan noise about 1000% increase of general noise but it did not hide the cries of joy from the programming staff.................. ;-)
Coursedesign wrote on 9/17/2009, 10:14 AM
...and the core memory was hand-knitted by little old ladies (really!).

1 MB cost about $1M if I recall correctly, but that was enough for a serious machine. That would be 8 million "little donuts" to be knitted into a copper weave.
Jeff9329 wrote on 9/17/2009, 11:09 AM
It never ceases to amaze me that the folks at Apple don't have to wear arm casts.

From breaking their arms patting themselves on the back?

Jay Gladwell wrote on 9/17/2009, 1:28 PM

Exactly...!

fausseplanete wrote on 9/17/2009, 1:54 PM
It grates...
Jay Gladwell wrote on 9/17/2009, 4:21 PM

... like finger nails on a blackboard.

apit34356 wrote on 9/17/2009, 5:39 PM
"...and the core memory was hand-knitted by little old ladies (really!)." ;-) In fact, Cray, CDC, etc..... secret wiring work force was the same old ladies, no engineering backgrounds but exceptional workers. I was totally floored when Cray gave us the 2cent tour of the cpu assembly, majority of the work force was over 50 and female knitters ....... ;-) I made it a point to read the briefings and fine print before traveling to distant lands..now... ;-)
Ecquillii wrote on 9/17/2009, 6:37 PM
My friends,

While appreciating the wit and humour above, I am disappointed in some of the partisan and derogatory responses in this thread. Apple has done exactly what you would do if you were promoting your product. The repetition of key words in context is a rhetorical strategy which we all use. Taking those words out of context and stringing them together to ridicule the presenters is a cheap trick. There is neither art nor information in this juxtaposition. And while taking team-sides can be lots of fun, over-identification with any one side impoverishes understanding. The aggressive and conflictual nature of many of the above comments would be an embarrassment on a grade-school playground. Surely the members of this forum are capable of more mature analysis.

Tim Robertson

Desktop:ASUS M32CD

Version of Vegas: VEGAS Pro Version 20.0 (Build 370)
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 21H2 (build 19044.2846)
Cameras: Canon T2i (MOV), Sony HDR-CX405 (MP4), Lumia 950XL, Samsung A8, Panasonic HC-V785 (MP4)
Delivery Destination: YouTube, USB Drive, DVD/BD

Processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-6700
RAM: 16 Gigabytes
Graphics Card 1: AMD Radeon R9 370; Driver Version: 15.200.1065.0
Graphics Card 2: Intel HD Graphics 530; Driver Version: 31.0.101.2111
GPU acceleration of video processing: Optimal - AMD Radeon R9 370
Enable Hardware Decoding for supported formats: 'Enable legacy AVC' is off; 'Enable legacy HEVC' is on
Hardware Decoder to Use: Auto (Off)

Laurence wrote on 9/17/2009, 6:50 PM
Many of us here are artists. Those of us who aren't imagine that we are. There is something about using cliched words like "great", "incredible", "super", and "really nice" that just irritates any artistic sensibilities that we may have. Look, when my 9 year old son shows me his latest super hero drawing, I try to at least describe it as "way cool" or "fantabulous": something that at least has a speck of originality. No I don't begrudge Apple their common adjectives or "super" stock prices, but I certainly don't mind grinning a little at the silliness of it all. Apple may have started off as a fruit, but lately it seems a bit more like high fructose corn sweetener than something you can actually bite into.
apit34356 wrote on 9/17/2009, 8:34 PM
"Those of us who aren't imagine that we are." LOL, you've seen some of my sci-fi sketchbooks, well, their better than my singing...... which is considered a criminal offense in the Western hemisphere. ;-)
FilmingPhotoGuy wrote on 9/17/2009, 9:57 PM
many of the above comments would be an embarrassment on a grade-school playground.

We know who's using apple..... we know who's using apple...we know who's using apple.... ( sang to the tune of "nanny nanny boo boo" )

Lighten up. The guy survived a major operation and so did Apple. Be happy for both of them. Even PC guys rip off Gates, Gheezzz man.

Rory Cooper wrote on 9/17/2009, 10:58 PM
Tim have you and Homer ever heard of Applegate ……hmmmm..... I see a conspiracy theory looming

See……..we are capable of mature analysis
apit34356 wrote on 9/18/2009, 1:32 AM
Thanks xfx for the ideal, using Tim's comments as insight, we can conclude the following;

conspiracy theory - Applegate-

The old tales may be true; An apple keeps the Doctor away,.....
so Steve comes back to Apple,
Apple drains Steve's life force,
Steve leaves Apple to see doctors,
Steve gets better, Apple stumbles little,
Steve comes back to Apple,
Apple starts shining again and fanboys perform
animal mating rituals,
Steve's health is less than ideal.............

Conclusion: having Apple products around can be toxic! Immediately call toxic spill management and report that you have a toxic Apple product! Then go outside, turn on your sprinklers and run thru them naked for about one hour or till you're arrested. If you have an iPhone, you will arrested and beaten by the Green Police for excessive billing paper use, energy use and crazy dancing. The Green Police do routine body cavity searches for iPods, so forgot that ideal unless you're in to that or work for the S.F. DNC. ;-)

kmr wrote on 9/18/2009, 12:30 PM
"I'm more interested in what the termites in the floor are doing than the elephant and tiger in the room. Keep your eyes on Google.

Bob."

Oh, so we can be looking forward to "Google Bob"? I remember MS had a huge hit some years back...
DGates wrote on 9/19/2009, 2:20 AM
Ah yes, the predictable semi-annual Apple rant.

You morons are like the retards on the short bus making fun of the cool kids as you're driven past the schoolyard.

Houston Haynes wrote on 9/19/2009, 2:28 AM
Their marketing chief's surname is "Schiller"

Absolutely incredibly awesomely ironical