OT: Auralex Studiofoam tiles for $5 each

JohnnyRoy wrote on 10/3/2008, 4:41 AM
I know some of you have wanted to built a small portable microphone booth like the one Spot shows you how to make on his Now Hear This! training DVD (sample video here) but got stuck at the price of the Auralex foam which is usually only sold in cases of 24 pieces for $100+.

Well... SameDayMusic is selling individual pieces of Auralex 2 Wedgie 12X12 Tile (Gray, Single) for $5 each. I just order 4 pieces this morning. I do a lot of shopping at this web site and these guys are really awesome. They have great prices, ship fast (as the name implies) and I've never had a problem with them.

Just thought some of you might want to re-consider making one again now that you can get the Auralex for $20 and along with the foamcore (~$1 each) that Spot uses you can have a really nice voice over booth for $25! (Note: Spot used 24" squares and these are 12" squares but they work well too and take up less desktop space) ;-)

~jr

Comments

richard-courtney wrote on 10/3/2008, 4:51 AM
Used Auralex before and does make a difference.

Note: Expensive, but don't use non fire rated material as a substitute.
JohnnyRoy wrote on 10/3/2008, 9:36 AM
Yea, not only for the fire rating (which is very important) but regular foam degrades and flakes over time and you don't want small foam flakes in your equipment. I made that mistake with my music keyboard road cases once... i use a regular piece of foam because something didn't fit right and man was I sorry as time wore on. Tiny flakes everywhere. I should have just gotten another piece of foam from the manufacturer.

BTW, I just got a shipping confirmation email for the Auralex Studiofoam I ordered this morning... when they say "SameDay" they aren't kidding. I love these guys!

~jr
nolonemo wrote on 10/3/2008, 1:15 PM
Thanks for the tip! I ordered the foam and also the collapsable fabric cube used in the online tutorial. I did see that Amazon had cheaper no-name acoustical foam, but for the $10 difference or so in price not worth risking low quality.
JohnnyRoy wrote on 10/3/2008, 2:00 PM
Where did you find the collapsible fabric cube? Do you have a link?

[edit: never mind a simply search for "collapsible cube" at Amazon.com showed a few]

~jr
nolonemo wrote on 10/3/2008, 2:34 PM
Yeah, it's the "Whitmor Collapsible Cube"

Here's the link to the article on the portable v/o box:

http://digitalproducer.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=89503