OT: BBB membership?

Randy Brown wrote on 6/15/2005, 11:55 AM
Howdy,
Just wanted to do a quick survey to find out if you are a member of the Better Business Bureau and if you think it is important to be a member.
I ask because a rep just left here (the guy's credentials checked out) telling me that I've had over 12 inquiries since May (when my phone book ad was finally delivered) and some of the "hits" were corporations and even one from a federal government agency. Since I don't have any full time employees it would "only" cost me $245 year. Since I'm paying more than $200/month for my ads, I'm having a hard time deciding if I should invest any more. BTW, I haven't had any calls from government agencies and only one corporation since the ad came out...I wonder if some companies/agencies just won't bother calling if you're not a member.
TIA,
Randy

Comments

Coursedesign wrote on 6/15/2005, 12:13 PM
I used to be a member of the BBB, including paying extra for their online seal that gives you the right to post on your own web site that you are a member. Total nearly $500 in my case.

After two years of this, I cancelled. I have no customer complaints ever (because I take very good care of my customers), and when people who don't know my company call their local BBB they are told that BBB has no complaints on file, and I get the business.

The basic value proposal for a prospective customer is that if you are a member, then any disputes will be taken care of in an agreed fashion.

Nice, but not necessarily worth the money, especially if you stay out of trouble.
Jimmy_W wrote on 6/15/2005, 12:16 PM
Don't waste your money Randy . They call me every year or two with the same pitch.
Jimmy
DVDeviations wrote on 6/15/2005, 12:22 PM
I was also approached by my local BBB a few months ago. I didn't have the money at the time to register, so luckily I did not register. I told them to call me back a few months later. By that time, I had spoken with a few business people and based on what they told me, I decided it was not worth the money.

Randy Brown wrote on 6/16/2005, 8:04 AM
Okay, based on your comments and my research I have decided not to join; however I would definitely suggest to anyone reading this to make sure you are listed and what your status is!
I did a (BBB)search for video production in my area and I'm not even listed. The BBB rep told me that the city is supposed to give you this "BBB business profile" to fill out when you renew your business license (they never have for me). Anyway, in my search I found like 20 companies (but not one member; hence my decision that being a member isn't necessary) most stating that either the bureau has had no complaints in the last 3 years or that they have had one but it was resolved or complaints and not resolved.
A lot of potential clients could very well be basing there decision of using you or not based on this report (or lack thereof) so to repeat myself, it is definitely worth your time to go to BBB.com to see where your company stands...unless of course you're one of my competitors : )

Randy
boomhower wrote on 6/16/2005, 10:09 AM
I don't think the BBB is that great for bringing in business (advertising). I see them more as a place someone looks after they find out about you to see if you have a habit of regularly screwing your customer base.

But if you have a good Chamber of Commerce in your area they can be a fairly decent source of contacts (if they are really active). The one in this area puts a link to your site on their web and publishes your company in new information provided to prospective industry/new business etc.

FWIW

Keith
Randy Brown wrote on 6/16/2005, 12:04 PM
I don't think the BBB is that great for bringing in business (advertising).
I don't either and didn't mean to imply anything about advertising. However if a prospective customer goes to the BBB (or calls) and searches for video production in your area and you're not listed then you are non-existent to them if that's where they started there search for a company. If it's after they decide they like your bid and your company isn't listed but others are...?
I see them more as a place someone looks after they find out about you to see if you have a habit of regularly screwing your customer base.
I agree, I recently had a corporate job that was down to signing a contract. They went with someone else and I feel it was due to their policy of having to check any vendor's record with the BBB...especially if it's over a certain amount. Up until now (or actually a couple of weeks when it goes into the system) my company didn't even show up...just like Uncle Bob's Videoh Survis that doesn't even have a business license or pay taxes.
So all I'm suggesting is that you check your status (someone might have even filed a complaint on you that you resolved long ago but "no resolution" is showing).
If you're not listed you can fill out there "Business Profile" form for free...or take my advice with a grain of salt : )
FWIW,
Randy
boomhower wrote on 6/16/2005, 1:35 PM
I hear 'ya now Randy....I misunderstood part of your initial post.

Keith

[edit: by the way, on the gvt issue have you listed yourself with the database they use for bids etc? They generally are chained to "the list" when it comes to looking for goods and services (with some exceptions).
Randy Brown wrote on 6/16/2005, 2:59 PM
by the way, on the gvt issue have you listed yourself with the database they use for bids etc?
Keith, please elaborate on this; do you mean going to various government agency websites and submitting my company as being interested in bidding on their projects?
Thanks,
Randy
boomhower wrote on 6/16/2005, 9:06 PM
Randy:

I was mainly talking about Federal Gvt contracts. I have some info at the office I'll pull it out tmw and send/post some links etc. It can be ...no actually it is...a pain in the you know what. But then what isn't when dealing with Uncle Sugar?!

Coursedesign wrote on 6/16/2005, 9:37 PM
Do you mean the GSA Schedule?