OT:Camera Move Question

royfphoto wrote on 2/28/2016, 7:34 AM
I am shooting UHD on a Pana G4 to output 1080. Tell me what's wrong with this thinking since I don't have a crane or vertical slider? Shoot with the camera in the vertical position, flip 90 degrees in soft ware and use soft ware for the tilt. Seems like a lot smoother, a true crane type rise, more speed control. I am guessing a lot of motion in the scene would mess it up. Thoughts?

Comments

Steve Grisetti wrote on 2/28/2016, 8:00 AM
Flipping 16:9 video 90 degrees would give a 9:16 video -- video that's taller than it is wide. I don't think that's what you're looking for, is it?
JohnnyRoy wrote on 2/28/2016, 8:31 AM
> "Flipping 16:9 video 90 degrees would give a 9:16 video -- video that's taller than it is wide. I don't think that's what you're looking for, is it?"

I think you may have missed the question. It was:

"I am shooting UHD on a Pana G4 "

Shooting vertical UHD to crop to 1080 should allow you to fake a really nice crane shot. I would have never thought of that. Nothing wrong with the idea that I can see.

~jr
PixelStuff wrote on 2/28/2016, 9:30 AM
I guess the only reason I can think of that it might not work well is if you have multiple objects in the scene that would normally give you a parallax effect. In that case something might seem off to the viewer.
Chienworks wrote on 2/28/2016, 9:47 AM
Only issue i can think of is if the camera shoots interlaced. If so, Vegas has to go through a whole lot of processing and interpolation when the output doesn't exactly match the input, and this may result in a slightly softer image.
royfphoto wrote on 2/28/2016, 10:19 AM
shooting 30progressive, don't see how parallax enters into it.. UHD =3840x2160
OldSmoke wrote on 2/28/2016, 10:35 AM
Parallax effect is an issue. What you get with your idea is a 2D flat movement, much like a still image move. In an actuall crane movement, for round objects move differently from background objects.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

Eagle Six wrote on 2/28/2016, 11:31 AM
@ OldSmoke....."Parallax effect is an issue. What you get with your idea is a 2D flat movement, much like a still image move. In an actuall crane movement, for round objects move differently from background objects. "

I agree.....

Although if you don't have a crane and want to get additional movement tilt effect, rotating 90* is an option that may work in some situations, I would think if there was not a lot of subject movement or large detailed subjects. As OldSmoke points out, it's going to look flat.

Best Regards.......George

System Specs......
Corsair Obsidian Series 450D ATX Mid Tower
Asus X99-A II LGA 2011-v3, Intel X99 SATA 6 Gb/s USB 3.1/3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-6800K 15M Broadwell-E, 6 core 3.4 GHz LGA 2011-v3 (overclocked 20%)
64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200
Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX 280mm Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
MSI Radeon R9 390 DirectX 12 8GB Video Card
Corsair RMx Series RM750X 740W 80 Plus Gold power pack
Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 boot drive
Corsair Neutron XT 2.5 480GB SATA III SSD - video work drive
Western Digitial 1TB 7200 RPM SATA - video work drive
Western Digital Black 6TB 7200 RPM SATA 6Bb/s 128MB Cache 3.5 data drive

Bluray Disc burner drive
2x 1080p monitors
Microsoft Window 10 Pro
DaVinci Resolve Studio 16 pb2
SVP13, MVP15, MVP16, SMSP13, MVMS15, MVMSP15, MVMSP16

Chienworks wrote on 2/28/2016, 4:12 PM
Well, what it's going to look like is the camera being panned vertically. It won't look like the camera is changing position at all, so there really won't be any crane effect.
Rainer wrote on 2/29/2016, 3:53 PM
Easily test it for yourself. Put a tape measure against a wall. Shoot what you suggest.
Then shoot moving the camera up the tape, like a crane. Compare. Not the same, is it?
PeterDuke wrote on 2/29/2016, 5:51 PM
If you stand on the footpath (sidewalk?) out the front of the Empire State Building and pan upwards in the normal way, you will see that in the first frame the walls at left and right are parallel. As you pan up, these walls progressively taper in. (The same thing happens with your eyes.)

If you have a very wide angle photo, and then pan the field of view up the photo, you won't get this progressive tapering.

I have wrestled with the reverse issue. How to take a very wide angle photo of the facade of a tall building from close up, using normal view photos stitched together. If you don't allow barrel distortion, you end up with a tapering facade, with people on the footpath on each side leaning in towards the centre.

I have also played with reducing the taper afterwards. If the facade is flat this works fairly well, but if the facade has some depth then it will lead to distortion. For instance, round towers on either side will appear oval.
rmack350 wrote on 3/3/2016, 2:15 PM
Essentially its the same as tracking across a photo except the photo has movement in it.

Yes, it's a move, and you might like it. It's not the same as a pedestal-up, and even farther from a crane-up, but that doesn't mean you won't like it. In some ways this might be more like a tilt up since your camera is always at a single elevation, which is what Peter's pointing out. One help might be to shoot it at a longer focal length to flatten it out a bit and reduce distortion.

It sounds like you won't be able to compensate very easily for vanishing points but the farther away you can get the camera, the less you'll notice it. You would still want foreground objects that can move in and out of the edge of the frame but they shouldn't cross the center.

Try it. Do some test shots.