Comments

DWhitevidman wrote on 6/20/2010, 6:36 PM
Well, everything looked good to me, let's see what the pro's have to say.

I have to ask, in the last video, in the gondola, you did a good job of keeping the camera level while the boat rolled left and right, mind sharing your technique?
Former user wrote on 6/20/2010, 6:58 PM
Since you asked.

part 1- either do CUTS or longer dissolves. The dissolve lengths, especially between stills, seems jarring.

part 2- I am having a hard time to reference the relationship of the building and places. A class I took taught us to shoot Establishing shot, medium, close-up. This brings you into a story and a location. You seem to start Close and then keep moving back, although I am not sure because I don't have a reference of what I am looking at. And again, less dissolves, more cuts.

part 3- again, I find the dissolves interrupt the flow. Cuts or longer dissolves.

Others may disagree, but a dissolve should be use for two things, a change in time or a change in location. Sometimes a change from live to still or if there is a mood of music or rhythm that a dissolve enhances.

Just my opinion, but looks like it could be an interesting video. HTH and have fun.

Dave T2

dreamlx wrote on 6/20/2010, 9:02 PM
DWhitevidman: In fact I had no special technique, these scenes where simply shot handheld using an HDR-FX1E.

DaveT2 : Thanks for sharing your opinion.
farss wrote on 6/21/2010, 6:07 AM
Didn't have time to watch all of them but I saw nothing that would cause me to disagree with Dave.

At least on the low rent speakers on this PC your VO lady seems to have a lot of sibilence and that would get very hard on the ears. Try getting the mic lower and not pointed straight into her mouth or use a de-essing filter, SF ships with one that also works in Vegas.

Bob.
xberk wrote on 6/21/2010, 9:20 AM
You say that this DVD will show us the "hidden" parts of Venice where tourists don't get a chance to go --- is that the back canals you show in the third video? Certainly it's not the Campanile, San Macro and the Bridge of Sighs.

Everything is solid but frankly it looks like yesterday's travelogue of the highlights and quick history of Venice set to related and familiar classical music. Nothing wrong with that but the concept of showing us those "hidden" places seems to promise us more than you are showing at least in these three parts.

I like the use of "live" sound with the gondolas in open water (if it was sound effects it was perfect) . "Live" sound is hard to handle, but it gives us more a feel of being there. To me in travel related pieces, "live" sound is more documentary -- voice over and music over is standard travelogue. My opinion. Which are you trying for?

Paul B .. PCI Express Video Card: EVGA VCX 10G-P5-3885-KL GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA ,,  Intel Core i9-11900K Desktop Processor ,,  MSI Z590-A PRO Desktop Motherboard LGA-1200 ,, 64GB (2X32GB) XPG GAMMIX D45 DDR4 3200MHz 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-25600 Memory .. Seasonic Power Supply SSR-1000FX Focus Plus 1000W ,, Arctic Liquid Freezer II – 360MM .. Fractal Design case ,, Samsung Solid State Drive MZ-V8P1T0B/AM 980 PRO 1TB PCI Express 4 NVMe M.2 ,, Wundiws 10 .. Vegas Pro 19 Edit

dreamlx wrote on 6/21/2010, 3:19 PM
thanks for sharing your opinions

farss: concerning the voiceovers, their recording was not under my control as they were recorded by a voiceover recording studio. I don't have the possibilty to record them myself as the person doing them is 500km away from here. I think I will try what I can do with them with the de-essing filter.

xberk: concerning hidden parts of Venice, the production has actually 12 parts. Actually the project shows the 6 sestieri (town parts) of Venice and some extra chapters. Acutally it starts with San Marco which is well known and continues with the Campanile which is related to San Marco. The gondola trip should be a little distraction from the typical documentary. I have published part 4 (San Polo) where there are still some known parts as the Rialto bridge is in this siesteri. Dorsoduro, Canareggio, Castello and Santa Croce are less known to tourists except for the known ways always used by them. Part 5 is some historical footage about regata storica. so the real hidden parts start at part 6. Perhaps I should change the order and begin with the not well known sestieris and continue with the known ones. What is your opinion on this ?

Actually I am trying to get a bit a mix between documentary and travelogue.
xberk wrote on 6/21/2010, 8:06 PM
Yes. I'd at least give a brief look at the "hidden" parts of Venice near the beginning or change the narration to fit things better ( if that's possible) .. By the way, I love Venice so naturally the whole thing caught my interest.

Paul B .. PCI Express Video Card: EVGA VCX 10G-P5-3885-KL GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA ,,  Intel Core i9-11900K Desktop Processor ,,  MSI Z590-A PRO Desktop Motherboard LGA-1200 ,, 64GB (2X32GB) XPG GAMMIX D45 DDR4 3200MHz 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-25600 Memory .. Seasonic Power Supply SSR-1000FX Focus Plus 1000W ,, Arctic Liquid Freezer II – 360MM .. Fractal Design case ,, Samsung Solid State Drive MZ-V8P1T0B/AM 980 PRO 1TB PCI Express 4 NVMe M.2 ,, Wundiws 10 .. Vegas Pro 19 Edit