OT: Dropbox Question

graphic_girl wrote on 3/4/2011, 6:15 PM
Hello!

I got this dropbox thingy based on a recc from you guys... and I LOVE IT... works GREAT for large files... and love the fact that it is on my desktop... verrrry convenient! thanks!

But after dropboxing 11 files to a printer... have learned one or more need revisions....

Question is... Can I OVERWRITE current files in dropbox with revised versions (naming them the SAME thing)... and will the REVISED versions then be retrieved by the printer on Monday...

OR... do I need to send new links... (I would rather not)...

I know I can count on my FAVORITE forum group for the answer to this!

Thank You!

gg (Shelby) :-)

Comments

ChristoC wrote on 3/4/2011, 6:38 PM
I'm pretty sure you can just replace them to exact same Folder / Filename.
graphic_girl wrote on 3/4/2011, 6:48 PM
That is what I thought... but wanted to BE SURE as I do NOT want the wrong the file to be printed...

Thanks

gg :-)
John_Cline wrote on 3/4/2011, 6:58 PM
The files will be updated, in fact DropBox is even smart enough to only update the parts of the file which have changed thus saving transfer time. It's described in more detail here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/8
Laurence wrote on 3/4/2011, 6:58 PM
I would double check it at the printer's end. I've had files not update properly twice now. After you copy your files to your local Dropbox folder, make sure you leave your computer on for a while and connected to the Internet. Updating large files takes a while and what is in the cloud isn't what's on your local drive, at least not right away.