OT: farewell to guitar legend Les Paul

rs170a wrote on 8/13/2009, 2:50 PM
I just read this sad news online a few moments ago.

Les Paul, who pioneered the solid-body electric guitar later wielded by a legion of rock 'n' roll greats, died today of complications from pneumonia. He was 94.
As an inventor, Paul also helped bring about the rise of rock 'n' roll with multi-track recording, which enables artists to record different instruments at different times, sing harmony with themselves, and then carefully balance the tracks in the finished recording.

Mike

Comments

rmack350 wrote on 8/13/2009, 4:04 PM
I was really kicking myself when I read about his death this morning. My partner and I had been talking for the last year about taking a trip to New York to see him play.

Thanks for everything, Les!

Rob Mack
Rory Cooper wrote on 8/13/2009, 10:47 PM
les Paul has finally forgiven you Jimi

Jimi Hendrix went to a hospital with burns to his hands after setting his guitar on fire for the first time at the Astoria theatre in London on 31 March 1967

yes sir thanks for everything
JohnnyRoy wrote on 8/14/2009, 6:33 AM
I was deeply saddened by the news. I'm not sure how many people realize his pioneering work with multi-track recording, the first tape echo, etc. People only associate him with the guitar. Truly a great loss.

> My partner and I had been talking for the last year about taking a trip to New York to see him play.

I am kicking myself even more. I only live about an hour from NYC and my son is just showing interest in the guitar so I bought him an Epiphone Les Paul and it would have been awesome to take him down on a Monday night to see Les play. :(

We should be happy for all that he gave us. Thanks Les.

~jr
cbrillow wrote on 8/17/2009, 3:39 PM
We were lucky to have him around so long, and still capable of playing despite the decades-ago accident that left his right arm virtually immobilized.

He was a true original and an influence on guitar players of every conceivable stripe.
je@on wrote on 8/17/2009, 9:30 PM
After the accident referred to above, Les Paul was told he couldn't play any more due to the inability to flex his elbow. Les suggested they set his arm at a right angle instead of straight. The rest is history.
musicvid10 wrote on 8/22/2009, 2:08 PM
That wonderful PBS documentary on Les Paul is available for viewing on Hulu.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/91100/les-paul---chasing-sound