OT: free 2D animation software

rs170a wrote on 3/20/2016, 11:40 AM
I know nothing about this software. It was posted to a student animation page I subscribe to and thought some folks on here might find it interesting.
From the press release:
Toonz, the software used by Studio Ghibli to produce films like The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, Howl’s Moving Castle, Ponyo and The Wind Rises, will be made free and open source to the animation community beginning March 26, 2016.

Toonz Software Used by Studio Ghibli and ‘Futurama’ Being Made Free and Open Source

Mike

Comments

set wrote on 3/22/2016, 7:34 PM
Interesting... looking forward for this tool soon...

Seems fit for 2D complex animation needs.

Set

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

Rory Cooper wrote on 3/23/2016, 9:52 AM
thanks for the heads up Mike

these applications are very good for text because they allow you to manipulate text on all levels.
from layer, text line and character nodes = took a few minutes

Red Prince wrote on 3/26/2016, 11:29 AM
And before you download the free version, you need to agree to the terms of use. Does anyone here understand what it is we are supposed to agree to?

And if you just download it anyway, then run the setup program, and choose English, you still have to select I accept the agreement to be able to continue. In Japanese!

He who knows does not speak; he who speaks does not know.
                    — Lao Tze in Tao Te Ching

Can you imagine the silence if everyone only said what he knows?
                    — Karel Čapek (The guy who gave us the word “robot” in R.U.R.)

Red Prince wrote on 3/26/2016, 11:36 AM
Anyway, here is where you can download it from: https://opentoonz.github.io/e/index.html

He who knows does not speak; he who speaks does not know.
                    — Lao Tze in Tao Te Ching

Can you imagine the silence if everyone only said what he knows?
                    — Karel Čapek (The guy who gave us the word “robot” in R.U.R.)

Byron K wrote on 3/26/2016, 4:10 PM
Thanks Mike for sharing this.
I've watched a lot of Futurerama and seen Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle which is a great anime and to find out the software that make these is now available.. wow!

Here's some additional information I found. http://www.toonz.com/
They basically will be making their money by offering commissioning, installation & configuration, training and support customization services of their Toonz Premium product.

Rory, That's a really neat text animation! You did that in a couple of minutes? I was watching the tutorials and it would have taken me a couple hours to do that! ((:

Maybe Adobe Flash animators will jump ship and start using Toonz.. (;

Looks like it has kind of a steep learning curve and not too many tutorials but I'm sure there will be some popping up soon.