OT: FREE Antics 3D storyboard animation software

vitalforce wrote on 12/7/2007, 3:43 PM
The new version of this interesting animated storyboarding software, Version 3, has been released and the program, normally $595 U.S., is being broken down into a free GUI and separately available content, apparently following the practice of DAZ and Poser 5. The fully functional interface, with a starter set of content, is downloadable (166MB) at no charge. I just downloaded it last night and it's a fascinating program.

It outputs either AVI or QT files.

Here is the link to the store, pick US or UK:

http://www.antics3d.com/buy_antics.php

Comments

Coursedesign wrote on 12/7/2007, 4:22 PM
This is a great program, with a higher quality on the animation and characters than other programs. It is not possible to say that it is "the best," because different people have different needs and for some FrameForge 3D will be more suitable.

I saw an excellent animated short film done by a director to sell his script. This guy had no animation experience whatsoever, but in two weeks he learned Antics 3D and created the entire film.

Amazing intelligence, from simple things like "tell a character to walk to a particular floor mark and stop there, facing your choice of direction" to way beyond.
farss wrote on 12/7/2007, 4:37 PM
Great stuff I'm certain but they sure don't want anyone outside the USA or the UK getting their grubby hands on it!
I managed to get most of the way through the process by using a fake USA address but then they seem to not like the idea that I'm not the right maket segment. I did say "professional film production", maybe they only think their product suitable for amateurs, how wierd.

One thing I really have to take my hat off to SCS for, order something online and they get that the world doesn't end at the borders of the USA, their online store knows the states of every country.

Bob.
farss wrote on 12/7/2007, 4:47 PM
If you live outside the USA use the UK store.

Bob.
vitalforce wrote on 12/8/2007, 2:01 AM
One thing to add to my initial post here: I just spent several hours downloading hundreds of props, characters, etc. from the "Content" page on the Antics site. Apparently you get more than a small starter set of characters and props, if you have the patience to download all that material one group at a time. I'm not sure if this pertains to the first 500 downloaders which is a notice I saw once early on and now can't find it again, or whether you can access most of the "Content Warehouse" until January 8 or so.

Either way, after looking at only a bit of the documentation and no tutorials yet, I am amazed to be able to tell a character to walk to a cupboard and open it with only two mouse clicks. I have Frame Forge 3D for other uses especially facial expressions and major camera angles, but this is going to be an invaluable program for both pre-production storyboarding and even, it seems it me, roughing out storylines for 3D animators.

Some of the best character and prop packs, of course, come only with the paid-for license as well as some significant input and output features to make it compatible with other 3D applications. But what I have so far is knocking my socks off.
farss wrote on 12/8/2007, 3:55 AM
I haven't installed it as yet however I imagine for basic shot planning and blocking you don't really need a lot of props or characters. Either way given the costs of shooting even the cheapest indie narrative the cost of the full blown version should be recovered easily in time saved futzing around during the shoot.

And thanks for the heads up, this could be very timely for me.

Bob.
craftech wrote on 12/8/2007, 4:41 AM
Registered, but no confirmation e-mail sent. Maybe one has to do this during the week.

John
navydoc wrote on 12/8/2007, 4:56 AM
I downloaded the program this am. It took about 15 minutes before I received the confirmation email so I could log in. Once logged in, the process went smoothly.

Looks like a very interesting program.

Doc
craftech wrote on 12/8/2007, 6:54 AM
It's been over an hour and still no e-mail. Can't login - says "awaiting confirmation", yet no confirmation has come.

John
DrLumen wrote on 12/8/2007, 11:19 PM
I found my confirmation in the spam folder.

intel i-4790k / Asus Z97 Pro / 32GB Crucial RAM / Nvidia GTX 560Ti / 500GB Samsung SSD / 256 GB Samsung SSD / 2-WDC 4TB Black HDD's / 2-WDC 1TB HDD's / 2-HP 23" Monitors / Various MIDI gear, controllers and audio interfaces

craftech wrote on 12/9/2007, 7:40 AM
I found my confirmation in the spam folder.
==========
Great. My spam folder automatically empties itself. Guess I have to create a new user name and try again.

John
Coursedesign wrote on 12/9/2007, 8:54 AM
I have Frame Forge 3D for other uses especially facial expressions and major camera angles,

You need to check out the tutes on Antics' web site. No problemo.
craftech wrote on 12/9/2007, 11:02 AM
I checked my "blacklist" to which the spam filter automatically enters addresses and antics wasn't there. So before completely giving up on these people I sent them the following e-mail:

Hello,

I am at a standstill here. I registered a few days ago and never received an e-mail confirmation in order to activate my login. When I try to login it says Your account is not activated. Someone else on the Sony Vegas forum said they found it in their "spam folder". Mine empties automatically, but I didn't see your address in the automatic blacklist my spam folder generates so I can assume you nnever sent an activation.

Then I thought I would be clever and attempt to register under a new name. Not so fast. It told me that someone with that e-mail address is already registered (I assume that is me - IF I can activate which I can't).

Before throwing in towel and declaring your company not worth the effort can you assist me in registering?

My user name is ________
My e-mail address is _____________

Regards,

John

We'll see if that works. If not I have no intention of creating a new e-mail address just for them. Of course, for FREE I can't complain, but if this is any indication of their business efficiency I feel sorry for the paying customers.
Coursedesign wrote on 12/9/2007, 3:47 PM
When checking domains of Auto-Clobbered Spam Folder messages, you can't assume that you can just look for the name of the company.

Many people use third-party services for these things.

What spam filter are you using that you think you can assume a 0% false positive?
craftech wrote on 12/9/2007, 7:21 PM
Many people use third-party services for these things.

What spam filter are you using that you think you can assume a 0% false positive?
=========
I used my Yahoo mail account which has always had automatic spam guard activated. I can't assume a 0% false positive, but I can say this is the first time I have run into this problem. Also, who is to say that it ended up in the spam trash anyway. Only one poster said that the company's activation e-mail ended up in his spam folder so I thought I would look at the blacklist just in case. Personally I think they never bothered to send it leaving me in activation limbo. Let's see if they answer the e-mail I sent them (quoted above).

John

EDIT: UPDATE: I just received an e-mail from a company representative who personally activated my account. Can't ask for better than that. Problem resolved.
ReneH wrote on 12/9/2007, 7:45 PM
I got the program and then I had to download the other files needed to create things like characters, props, buildings, etc. get ready to download yet more files once you get the program.
ReneH wrote on 12/9/2007, 7:46 PM
I got the program and then I had to download the other files needed to create things like characters, props, buildings, etc. get ready to download yet more files once you get the program.
Coursedesign wrote on 12/9/2007, 8:40 PM
I have a commercial Yahoo e-mail account, which is said to have a better Spam Guard than the free accounts. Still there are quite a few false positives and negatives, I am just thoroughly underwhelmed by their filtering.
vitalforce wrote on 12/13/2007, 2:55 AM
Just bumping this so that anyone who might not have seen it before can check it out if interested. This is an absolutely phenomenal free download of Antics 3D animation storyboard, full version (and newest version) and there are amazingly detailed and instructive tutorials on the Antics site.