OT: HELP!!! Flicker removal 8mm film

pb wrote on 10/30/2004, 3:38 PM
Header says it all. I urgently need to get rid of the residual flicker I have from a film transfer. No time to buy a telecine (it is Saturday and we live waaay up north). Shot with DSR 500WS using shutter to get rid of most of the 16 fps casued flicker.

What software can I buy/download to simulate a 5 blade shutter or whatever it takes to get rid of the flicking?

This is for one of our best customers and failure is not an option.

I know this has nothing to do with Vegas tips and tricks but I am terribly desperate.

Peter
psburn@shaw.ca

Comments

BJ_M wrote on 10/30/2004, 4:10 PM
use the virtualdub deflicker filter or MSU deflicker filter in vegas (using WAX and v-dub plug-ins) or in virtualdub standalone ...

the msu filter for v-dub is very good - though not super fast .. http://www.compression.ru/video/deflicker/index_en.html

the virtualdub deflicker filter is on the v-dub web site ...
johnmeyer wrote on 10/30/2004, 4:18 PM
VirtualDub Deflicker

Another VirtualDub Deflicker Filter

And here's the original anti-flicker filter, upon which the Russian versions (above) are based:

Anti-Flicker VirtualDub Filter
DmitriyV wrote on 10/31/2004, 1:04 PM
> And here's the original anti-flicker filter, upon which the Russian versions (above) are based:

Russian version is fully 1-pass original and did not based on 2-pass Graft's filter.

With regards! ;)

D.
johnmeyer wrote on 10/31/2004, 2:20 PM
Dmitiri,

I am sorry for the confusion. One of the Russian plug-ins made a reference to Donald Graft's filter. I guess I didn't read it carefully. Again, my apologies.
pb wrote on 10/31/2004, 2:31 PM
The Russian variant appears to work the best but for the life of me I could not figure out how to get the plug in into Vegas. I ended up using the Virtual Dub stand alone prgram and the MSU filter. Thnak you for all the help and if you can give some direction regarding using this filter from within Vegas I will be even happier.

thanks again,

Peter Burn
johnmeyer wrote on 10/31/2004, 3:09 PM
for the life of me I could not figure out how to get the plug in into Vegas.

I just tried (using Wax) and while the filter loaded and it slowed down the frame rate of the playback, I didn't see anything happening on the screen. It eventually crashed Wax, and then Vegas.

You could ask Satish over in the debugmode.com forum. He has already acknowledged that some VD filters cannot be loaded successfully in Wax. Perhaps this is one of them.

Also, I just tried it on some flicker from a football game that was lit with generator lights that pulsed with a period of 1/3 of a second. This sort of flicker appears to be outside the range of the filter's parameters.
farss wrote on 10/31/2004, 4:13 PM
John,
just a thought on your flicker lights problem, maybe if you used say the cookie cutter to cut out just that part of the frame and rendered that portion out and took that into DeFlicker it would then see a larger variation and you may get it to trigger better.
If that doesn;t do it you could zoom in the cutout portion, render that and try DeFlicker then bring that back into Vegas and zoom it back to the correct size and composite it back in, maybe.
As to the other comments, I've never quite understood the urgency of getting these things to work inside Vegas, what's wrong with rendering out to a new avi and havinf VD work on and bringing that back in, even if you have to render to uncompressed, heck, big drives aren;t that expensive these days.

Bob.
HPV wrote on 10/31/2004, 4:55 PM
A bit of strobe? Event undersample (right click propertis) might let you dial in something that will work. Be sure to test with preview quality at good/full on ext. moitor to see a true interlace signal. Play a region loop and finetune. It's not R/T, but will jump back to playing when you ok the prefs window.
The waveform will let you realy see the flicker and what you are doing to fix it. Good luck.

Craig H.