OT: Hot Air Balloons and the BMCC

JasonATL wrote on 4/30/2013, 8:09 AM
Here's my first video with my Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera.

http://vimeo.com/65110668

I rendered out the raw files to a flat image from Resolve in an MXF format. I had tried DNxHD Quicktime files, but Vegas would hang and only show a black preview after getting a large number (~50) of DNxHD files on the timeline. MXF files, without audio, worked fine in VP12. I used Magic Bullet Looks for color correction/grading.

The BMCC files are just a dream to work with in terms of pushing the color. The detail/resolution, dynamic range, and color are just amazing.

This is a fairly rough cut, as I don't have time this week to do more. But, I'd appreciate any critique/comments/feedback so that I can learn what works and what doesn't.

Comments

Laurence wrote on 4/30/2013, 10:54 AM
That looks really good! Love how it reigns in the dynamic range!
farss wrote on 4/30/2013, 5:40 PM
Looks fantastic.

I would have preferred less of the getting the balloons out if their bags.
Cut them to one shot only, then lots of shots of burners firing up, that poses the question, "will they all be OK?". Then the shots of them all taking off which answers the question. Somewhere in there shot of timekeeper, stop watches etc. That poses the "who will win?" question. Posing questions gives the viewer a reason to keep watching.

Bob.
Barry W. Hull wrote on 4/30/2013, 7:17 PM
What a great video (even though people who go up in balloons have a screw loose)
JasonATL wrote on 4/30/2013, 8:21 PM
Bob - Thank you for comments and the suggestion. I truly appreciate them. Excellent idea! I need something to convey a sense of suspense and the race. I'll see what footage I've got. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get to the "finish line" for the conclusion of a the race. I agree, it needs something more to move the story along.

It would be especially nice if I had that footage, as it would really tell the story of this particular balloon race. Many people don't realize that this balloon race (perhaps others) is a "hound and hare" style race. The hare balloon (shown in one of my shots in the distance between two on-the-ground balloons) takes off ahead of the hounds. When it finds a location suitable to set down (unplanned, as the wind takes you where it takes you), it puts out an X on the ground. The hounds chase the hare, trying to drop a marker (a bag of Kentucky Bluegrass seed, in this race) as close to the center of the X as possible. The winner of the "race" is the marker closest. Amazingly, the winner threw a marker down 14 inches from center of the X.

Alas, I didn't get any footage of this due to the traffic jam getting off the takeoff field. I'll try to do better next year!

Barry - Thank you. That means a lot. I agree! In fact, I never had a desire to fly with them... until now. I'm just thinking that the shots from the sky would be great! And yes, I have a screw loose, too. More than one, according to my wife!
Ron Windeyer wrote on 4/30/2013, 11:11 PM
Hi Jason - lovely video indeed! I agree that maybe a bit less of the preparation/inflating would be good; otherwise marvelous visuals.

I admit also to having a screw loose - my son & daughter-in-law gave me a voucher for a balloon ride for my 60th. Don't know whether they were hoping for the inheritance (Hehe) but it was an awesome experience. Floating along in total silence (except for when the pilot gives it a burst of flame) and we got up to 4000 feet, as well as brushing along the wheat crops and treetops.

The whole ride lasted about 45 minutes, and it is an unforgettable experience. You must try it!!