Comments

Jay Gladwell wrote on 4/1/2010, 4:38 AM

Uhhh... that's not a camera. It's an app for an iPhone.

apit34356 wrote on 4/1/2010, 6:26 AM
"This is not an April Fool's joke." actually it is...... no where does it show you buying a serious camera from Panavision, just you pushing Apple products and apps. ;-( which is the joke! ;-)
Coursedesign wrote on 4/1/2010, 8:38 AM
Uhhh... that's not a camera. It's an app for an iPhone.

It's a very serious camera app for location scouts and DPs, and it can shoot the top aspect ratios up to 2.35:1, with automatic metadata.

This will be a monster hit in Hollywood, because it is simple, serious, and effective.

The underlying "Apple product" is just a facilitator.

Anyone thinking of getting one, don't!

That's right. Don't.

Why not?

Because there are unusually strong indications that their next category killer iPhone will be released June 22, after being announced at Apple's WWDC (World Wide Developer Conference) just before that. Features talked about include a completely new UI where the phone sees your finger movements, 2-way video calls, close to one-week battery life, and more.

[The big teutonic shift in mobile phones right now is in Blackberry users, where a recent poll showed the vast majority looking to blow out their "Crackberries" as being too boring, and they were looking to switch to iPhones and 'Roids because of all the apps that make these phones much more broadly useable.]

Anyone contemplating a phone purchase before then based on the higher resolution of the 'Roid/Nexus screen, needs to consider their new OLED PenTile pixel layout. It provides lower resolution for text than the numerically inferior iPhone screen:

Jay Gladwell wrote on 4/1/2010, 8:50 AM

"... it can shoot the top aspect ratios up to 2.35:1..."

No, it can't. It masks the phone's image indicating aspect ratios. Look at the pics on the site you provided earlier.

I'm honestly curious. Why do you insist on beating Apple's drum here in the Vegas forum?

Guy S. wrote on 4/1/2010, 9:15 AM
<<Panavision's new camera, released yesterday>>

Interesting app., thanks for posting.

Guy
Coursedesign wrote on 4/1/2010, 10:03 AM
It masks the phone's image indicating aspect ratios.

You mean like when shooting 35 mm film where several formats are cropped in post? DPs are quite familiar with this, and ARRI's new Alexa camera is adding this as a feature, with about 10% extra sensor around all sides of the frame, so that the camera operator can see for example a boom moving into the shot.

Why do you insist on beating Apple's drum here in the Vegas forum?

I'm curious. Why do you think this has anything to do with Apple?

If this had been an Android app, or a Blackberry app, or a whatever app, it would have been just as useful.

It's about the app in the same way that Vegas is about editing, not about the version of Windows it runs on.

I expect Panavision chose the platform after seeing the majority of their customers already owning this particular platform.

Next year, it could be Nexus or Blackberry II or whatever, and the app will have the same functionality (at least as long as the phone has built-in GPS and electronic flux compass).
Jay Gladwell wrote on 4/1/2010, 10:16 AM

"You mean like when shooting 35 mm film where several formats are cropped in post? DPs are quite familiar with this, and ARRI's new Alexa camera is adding this as a feature, with about 10% extra sensor around all sides of the frame, so that the camera operator can see for example a boom moving into the shot."

That does not provide a response to my original comment. You said, "it can shoot the top aspect ratios up to 2.35:1" when it, the app, doesn't shoot anything. Your posts in this thread have been somewhat misleading from the very beginning. Although I'm not entirely sure it was meant to be, it does make one wonder.

Once more you assume the rest of us are totally ignorant of how Hollywood films are made, when you post such non-responsive responses.

"Why do you think this has anything to do with Apple?"

Could it be because the app is for the iPhone--an Apple product? "Panavise your iPhone...".

You're free to keep posting Apple related topics, one would think you'd be tired of flack you get as a result of doing so.

rmack350 wrote on 4/1/2010, 10:36 AM
Great idea for scouting. Another nice feature might be to record 10 minutes of audio and have some analysis features. Was there a steady hum or drone? Were there periodic interruptions (cars, jets)? People who scout sometimes don't come back with information about the ambient noise.

I like that it can get the compass heading, GPS coords, and time of day. I guess you need an A.T.&T phone account, though, which is limiting.

Rob
John_Cline wrote on 4/1/2010, 10:49 AM
"The big teutonic shift in mobile phones right now is in Blackberry users"

Does a "teutonic shift" mean that all Teutonic peoples such as Germans, Scandinavians and British will be dumping their Blackberries?

By the way, it's a Droid not a 'Roid. I know at least a dozen people that have dumped their iPhones for Droids. The Droid screen displays text perfectly well.

My problem with Apple products is that you are forced to do things their way on their timetable. I don't happen to care for their way of doing things. Open source development for the Android platform is on fire, including the Android OS itself.

I get it, you're an Apple fan. Most people here are not and no amount of evangelizing on your part is going to change their minds. What has always annoyed me most about Apple is not their products so much as it is the arrogant zealots that use them. "Genius Bar", how pompous.
Byron K wrote on 4/1/2010, 11:03 AM
Reply by: Coursedesign, Date: 4/1/2010 6:38:41 AM
[The big teutonic shift in mobile phones right now is in Blackberry users, where a recent poll showed the vast majority looking to blow out their "Crackberries" as being too boring, and they were looking to switch to iPhones and 'Roids because of all the apps that make these phones much more broadly useable.]

From an IT perspective, though the iPhones are much more hip, Blackberries still have a security advantage. As an IT engineer in the financial firm we are under heavy scrutiny by the financial AND security auditors and the iPhone (as of now) just doesn't have the security that meets audit requirements. As a matter of fact the management was going to issue us techs iPhones to test the remote applications and email but security was such an issue that the plug was pulled. ):
Coursedesign wrote on 4/1/2010, 11:26 AM
Well, that was a Teutonic mistake.

My undercaffeinated brain had a tectonic event.

So let me see if I get this right. If developers all over the U.S. and the world develop professional video and film apps that save time and increase income, you will refuse to use them until they are available for the Android?

That is fine of course, but please don't think too badly of those who choose otherwise.

Open source development for the Android is indeed on fire, with some apps being able to run only on some phone models due to resolution differences, carrier phone UI differentiation, and differences between the 1.5., 1.6 and 2.0 versions of the OS, all of which are provided in phones sold today.

For support, when you have a problem you call the handset reseller for help; they say "Sorry, we don't support this phone, you need to call the manufacturer." The manufacturer says, "Oh no, we don't support software problems or end customers, you need to call Google," so you call Google, and they say "Sorry, find a geek to tweak your open source, or wait 2-3 days for someone here to possibly help you."

With an iPhone, you call Apple for free support of anything hardware or OS-related, or you go to your pompous Genius Bar where the problem, if any, is solved in minutes usually. What these guys do is well thought out, and the service is outstanding.

To a geek, this is of course a matter of pride. The phone is not a tool for telephony, e-mail or for running professional tool applications.

It is a Personal Computer with file folders and process listings, with the owner spending 90% of his time tweaking every nook and cranny of the OS routines to personal satisfaction, and if there is any time left, doing a bit of non-computer-related work.

And support is not an issue, because you're running your own version of the code, and you support it with love and weekly patches, dealing with the following (excerpt):

Issues concerning application development

Your choice is as valid as that of someone making a different choice because they are more interested in what a tool can do than in how it does it.

I'm a geek too, but I find myself increasingly preferring to spend more time on creating content rather than digging under the hood just for the digging's sake.

This DP and location scout tool has nothing whatsoever to do with Apple, other than that the developer chose the iPhone as their first platform because they saw the majority of their customers using this platform.

They have not ruled out supporting other platforms.

Coursedesign wrote on 4/1/2010, 11:35 AM
As an IT engineer in the financial firm we are under heavy scrutiny by the financial AND security auditors and the iPhone (as of now) just doesn't have the security that meets audit requirements.

Definitely true.

The iPhone can run 1Password and a few similar apps that encrypt stored information in a way that is unbreakable for the moment, but the Blackberry has many other security features that makes it safer in the financial world especially.

So you use what you have to use, and hope that the Canucks managing RIM's servers in Toronto don't read the 100% of Blackberry e-mails that go through these servers (when they don't have a single-point-of-failure outage there, as happens every few months :O).

Re the latter, I have heard of financial BB users who carry iPhones for backup use in that situation, and I can certainly appreciate why iPhones cannot be primary for them.

apit34356 wrote on 4/1/2010, 2:33 PM
"hope that the Canucks managing RIM's servers in Toronto don't read the 100% of Blackberry e-mails that go through these servers ", Apple spin, it is apparent that you really know nothing about secured emails and RIM servers or about the Canada and US security agreements in place and "who" manages the servers. Coursedesign, please stop posting this junk, unless you're being funny, because it really a disservice to the real world outside of Appleville. ;-) On a side note, I do regret not buying Apple stock on the it's downside! ;-(
Coursedesign wrote on 4/1/2010, 3:13 PM
Oh, agreements!

Yes, I forgot that there are agreements that say "no-peekee."

That settles it. I feel safer already.

That is like the laws against listening to police radio, which has completely eliminated the ability of criminals to know what the police are saying on the air...

OTOH, if I was working on say seven figure orders that could move markets, I might be still worried.

End-to-end encryption? Sorry, there are tools sold online to open that up completely, based on certificate authority shenanigans (see link below).

Of course, you are mentioning security agreements between Canada and the U.S., so THIS couldn't possibly happen.

Ahem.

Patryk Rebisz wrote on 4/1/2010, 5:33 PM
Um, a pro bring a DSLR (that can shoot with the DoF of the actual Panavision camera) and a compass to a location. You have to be truly unimaginative if you need this app to frame your shots only to get crop marks...
farss wrote on 4/1/2010, 5:43 PM
My thoughts exactly. I know Panavision are in financial trouble but I would have thought even so selling an app for wannabees would be below them.
DoF is not the only issue, you cannot emulate FoV. There's plenty of existing solutions that let the real players in the game do that or even show how the scene would look on any stock or with a grade applied.

Bob.
Coursedesign wrote on 4/1/2010, 7:42 PM
I think you need to look a bit deeper at what this app does.

It is not a replacement for pre-viz.

As its name indicates, it is primarily for location scouting.

It arguably does that job immensely better and faster than a DSLR, a compass, a map, and a notepad.
apit34356 wrote on 4/1/2010, 7:53 PM
"End-to-end encryption? Sorry," ????? so apple iphone security is better...not! ..... you are so funny. Apple is pushing ihtml as the only workable websource...... vs. html or html5....... the Apple spin is security(like your seriously misguided suggestions) , but Apple is/will be/ charging $0.10 for a webpage to be converted from html to ihtml for iphone and ipod...... the new Apple profit center vs. ads.... But Apple can't force google on board and google can truly neutralize this internet scam.regardless if MS joins Apple..... ;-) Apple knows that google hosts over 30% of the big websites, estimates go as high 60% if you count lease outs..... something few known. If Google and IBM join forces on this hosting issue..... ihtml will die before the new iphone can be dialed. Steve can preach but google is better position to control his expansion than he may like.

(check last post about April 1 Apple fools day joke)
PeterWright wrote on 4/1/2010, 8:13 PM
Does the iphone take phone calls?
Patryk Rebisz wrote on 4/1/2010, 8:53 PM
The compass is to know where the east and west is so that you know the trajectory of the sun, not to find your way on the map...
Coursedesign wrote on 4/1/2010, 9:43 PM
Apit,

I'm intrigued by your interpretation of my posts.

I said very clearly that security is not a strong point of the iPhone. If you want max. security, you have to give up a lot and go with something that is more locked down and has specific security features.

I have never seen any security spin from Apple, so I'm not clear what on earth you are talking about.

And Google hosts 30% of the big web sites? What's the source of that factoid?

You do know that Google is well behind Facebook for traffic, right?

And that Facebook is rather Apple-friendly?

ihtml? Are you perhaps referring to the HTML 5 open standard?

My iPhone doesn't need any "ihtml" conversion to view web sites.

It doesn't show Flash, but then Flash is rapidly being taken off major web sites everywhere: CNN, Reuters, New York Times, Vimeo, TIME, Major League Baseball, The White House, Virgin America, Sports Illustrated, Flickr, People Magazine, TED have already switched to HTML5, and I suspect most of the other major sites are working on theirs for replacement within weeks.

Perhaps Google and IBM can persuade them to go back to Flash? <sound of crickets>

Of course, Flash doesn't work well when there are no mouse-overs, because the mouse has been replaced with multi-touch gestures. And Flash has very frequent security issues. And no GPU support unless you embed H.264, in which case you might as well do HTML5. And major CPU and battery suck that would probably cut the iPad battery life from 12 hours of HTML 5 video viewing at a bright level per WSJ review, to perhaps 3 hours.

Mmmm.
Patryk Rebisz wrote on 4/1/2010, 10:53 PM
You really have to be careful about repeating the mantras that big corporations (in this case Apple) is feeding you as they simply present how they want the world to perceive the issue rather then what the issue really is. For Apple it's the greed. They get a huge chunk of each app sold through their iTunes so if they ever allowed Flash on their iphones or ipads pretty much every developer would switch to Flash to save the %30 of each purchase that goes to Apple right now. Very basic math. And of course no company wants to admit "Listen guys, we are greedy, we want to squeeze every dollar we can out of the customers AND the developers" so they come up with bogus statements like "Yeah, Flash has security holes" or some other mumbo-jumbo which yes, might be true but it's not the MAIN reason why none of their devices support Flash.
winrockpost wrote on 4/2/2010, 6:24 AM
thank goodness ,now I don't have to lug around that huge digital cam for scouting..brilliant and for 9.95 I'm a bigshot panavision dude, now all I need is a panny jacket
Coursedesign wrote on 4/2/2010, 7:43 AM
Patryk,

What is Flash?

Mostly it is a way to show irritating blinking ads that people hate, games that need mouse-overs, and a way to encapsulate video.

There are far more memory- and CPU-efficient ways to at least make ads blink, the mouse-overs ain't gonna happen on mobile devices no matter what, and for serving video Flash has not one single advantage that I know of other than that it already makes most computers around the globe less secure.

Yes, it is clear from the business magazines that Apple is the most successful greedy vendor since the East India Company. But, at least so far, I think they have earned their loot.

Perhaps it's the contrarian in me that likes a company that doesn't ask its customers what they want.

They tell them. And mostly they're right.

Oh, there have been some stillborn products that made many people run in the opposite direction upon their birth.

The Newton and the hockey puck mouse where you couldn't tell which way was up, those stand out for me, and the original iMac that looked like it was made by Fisher-Price, and its short-lived "shaving mirror" successor, were kept as far away from me as possible, because I couldn't stand them.

There is nothing special about Flash that would make it possible for developers to bypass the app store, but Adobe has a tool that translates Flash apps to iPhone native code, so anyone can take an existing Flash gadget that runs on desktop computers and have it run on iPhones, iPods, and iPads.

For mobile gaming, Flash is not even a flash-in-the-pan, because its massive bloat is simply not suited for mobile CPUs and limited battery power.

I'm not much of a gamer (although "Plants vs. Zombies" brought me to tears from laughing so hard), but I have seen gamer magazines claim that the iPhone games are the most capable by a very wide margin, thanks to their very powerful hardware graphics support, excellent screens, and best touch interface.

Here's just one comment from a MediaDemo discussion:

Flash does run on the iPhone. There are hundreds of apps in the iPhone App Store right now that were made entirely with Flash, with no involvement at all with Apple's developer tools. In fact, iPhone is the only smartphone OS that currently runs Flash. [...] All of Adobe's iPhone apps were made 100% in Flash.