Comments

rs170a wrote on 4/5/2013, 2:11 PM
And it can be yours for only $15 000.00 :(
Too bad it's designed for DSLRs and not full size cameras.

Mike
FilmingPhotoGuy wrote on 4/5/2013, 2:19 PM
Fantastically smooth.

I built a stabilizer using a rose joint on my filming rig but still couldn't run with it and get smooth footage. It is smooth inside a car travelling over rough road surface but nowhere near as smooth as this MoVI rig.

thanks for sharing
Laurence wrote on 4/5/2013, 3:30 PM
Wow! Now how to figure out how to do that with some PVC and a heat gun...

Seriously though, just wow!
craftech wrote on 4/5/2013, 4:42 PM
For $15,000 one can buy a LOT of tranquilizers.

John
John_Cline wrote on 4/5/2013, 6:27 PM
Sure, its $15,000 to purchase but if you really needed to use one for that otherwise impossible shot, I'm sure the rental fee would be fairly reasonable.
farss wrote on 4/5/2013, 6:32 PM
It does look like it might be attractive for a rental company.
We've looked at gyros before (Kenlabs). We were put off as they are not that hard to damage. They also have needed quite a lot of battery power.

This development might be more attractive. Need to keep in mind it needs two people to operate it though.

Bob.
DeadRadioStar wrote on 4/5/2013, 7:32 PM
I don't even want to think about the audio problems that might occur (phasing, stereo imaging) if the mic is really intended to be mounted on that top "handle-bar", as it seems to be in the video. Even if it is designed for DSLRs, wouldn't the viewfinder be so far away as to potentially be an even bigger problem than camera shake?

But then again, you probably wouldn't be able to see it through those shades anyway ....

Is this an April Fool's joke?
MUTTLEY wrote on 4/5/2013, 9:44 PM

Gotta say I agree with two sentiments already expressed, too bad it's only for DSLR's and too bad its 15k. While I'm sure the results wouldn't be as good as this I'd still rather get a Fig Rig for around $300 though I suspect either would kill your arms in very short time.

Regarding audio, most don't use DSLR audio for anything worthwhile, only ever really useful for synch.

And I could be wrong but I think you would only need a second person to pull focus, could still pull off the same moves alone but would either have to shoot with a wide or infinity setting or by carefully pacing yourself to stay the right distance from the subject. That's only a guess, I didn't catch it if they said something else.

- Ray
Underground Planet
Rory Cooper wrote on 4/8/2013, 3:39 AM
That is very interesting about a year ago I tried something similar but getting the imu data to servo you need a PC. NOW with the introduction of the latest Raspberry pi doing the processing all your mechanics can now be the size of a match box
I was looking at using imu’s sending the data to a raspberry pi to servo’s for a jib this would allow you to hold the imu in your left hand and simply point to where you want the jib pan head to view and with your right hand control the height of the jib
The imu, raspberry pi and servo’s are about 250 US.

IMU processing via laptop replace with raspberry
[LINK=