OT: iZotopes Rx

farss wrote on 11/15/2011, 6:02 AM
Had this tool for quite a while now. Done quite a bit of work with it and generally very impressed, definately recommended.

Then a couple of days ago another Vegas user rang me with a problem. He'd gotten a "bit of hum" in a recording. He'd taken all the right precautions, tested the gear at home and yet the recordings made elsewhere had "this hum" in them. I put my hand up to help and a DVD with the file on it arrived via snail mail.

The "bit of hum" turned out to be a LOT of hum and not much else, I was having difficulty hearing the dialog under the hum, the meters showed the hum was at least 10dB above the speech, oh dear.

Not holding out much hope at all I tried Rx's Hum Reduction and fed it a sample. It spat it out, too many harmonics and it suggested using the noise removal tool. Holding out even less hope I gave it a go.

I have to say, it performed a miracle, seriously. Watching it work and listening to the outcome this is one very smart box of tricks. Yes, it uses a bunch of very high Q filters but it does so intelligently because they can also have a devasting effect on what is the wanted signal. What Rx does is to backoff the noise reduction based on what is in the wanted part of the spectrum.

So the pauses between words are hum free, if you listen carefully you can still hear quite a bit of the original hum in the words themselves but you have to be listening for it, only geeks like me seem to notice. It did take a lot of processing to finally get the job done. The audio was around 1 hour long, I did two passes of noise reduction in Rx which took over 1 hour each. Then I noticed quite a few annoying clicks in the audio so ran a click removal pass in Rx which took another 2 hours. The result was well worth the wait though.

I held off buying Rx for a long time thinking it couldn't be that much better than the tools in Sound Forge and only finally bought it because it was on special and a few here kept raving about it. I guess I could have done in SF what I did in Rx but as it lacks the smarts of Rx it would have taken ages, well a month at least.

Bob.

Comments

Jay Gladwell wrote on 11/15/2011, 6:23 AM

Bob, would it be possible to hear a "before and after"?

farss wrote on 11/15/2011, 6:39 AM
"Bob, would it be possible to hear a "before and after"?"

It's not my material so I'll have to ask permission. Pretty certain it'll not be a problem but it'll take me around 24 hours to get clearance.

Bob.
Jay Gladwell wrote on 11/15/2011, 7:38 AM

Understood. Thanks!

John_Cline wrote on 11/15/2011, 7:47 AM
Izotope RX is one of the few pieces of software that I own that really is capable of miracles.
Ros wrote on 11/15/2011, 8:14 AM
Amazing piece of software, using declip, I was able to restore a complete interview which had bad digital clipping which SF couldn't restore and I also believed nothing else would of restored it, until I learned about Izotope RX.

I also noticed Ozone 5 is out and since my Mastering Effects Bundle 2 from Izotope doesn't work with Vegas 64-Bit, I might just move on with Ozone 5 mastering system and that would be it for Vegas 32-Bit since I don't know if or when we can expect SF 64-Bit and if it will include a 64-Bit mastering bundle from Izotope.

Rob
johnmeyer wrote on 11/15/2011, 11:12 AM
I'd like to reinforce everything Bob, RoS and others said about RX: it truly works miracles.

Every time I work with it, I remember how I felt when I was introduced to Sonic Foundry's "Sound Forge" and its noise reduction plugin. I couldn't believe how well it removed clicks from records. Then, about a dozen years later, someone posted in a forum somewhere that iZotope RX had this miracle "spectral repair" option that could remove cell phone rings during a music recital without disturbing the music. I tried it and was even more blown away than I had been with the SF noise reduction. The reason I was more blown away is that I could understand how SF was doing its magic, but some of the things the engineers as iZotope did crossed the line into black magic.

However, the thing that has impressed me the most is that, so far, the iZotope engineers have continued to improve the algorithms in RX. Each release does a better job at restoration than its predecessor. By contrast -- unfortunately -- the noise reduction in Sound Forge never progressed after its initial release. As a result, neither its hum nor its noise reduction can even begin to touch some of the "impossible" tasks like the one Bob described. That's a shame because I think we get better products when two or more companies try to outdo their competition. Hopefully, the MIT engineers (iZotope is located on the MIT campus) can continue to advance the state of the art, even as their counterparts in Madison have more or less abandoned the NR plugin.
Grazie wrote on 11/15/2011, 12:04 PM
Izo RX = VooDoo...

- g

DavidMcKnight wrote on 11/15/2011, 12:59 PM
I used Forge's NR for a few years and was disappointed that they don't yet have a 64-bit solution. In the last couple of months I bought RX and....wow. Worth every penny.
Former user wrote on 11/15/2011, 3:16 PM
I put RX in the same category as Photoshop's Content-Aware Scale: "it knows."
Woodenmike wrote on 11/15/2011, 5:09 PM
I have had RX and Nector for a while now, but haven't fully utilized them yet, mainly because of my own lack of knowledge in how to use the tools...are there any good tutorials out on these that any of you have found? I do some random live recordings, VO's, and work with students who narrate their art supplements for college and have to try to remove ambient noise, fix mumbles, and occasionally have to deal with poor orchestral recordings for ballets that need general cleaning up. these tools would go a long way to help in many of these tasks (just did an edit where there was a bad camera hum). Some knowledgeable training would be most welcome...
Lyris wrote on 11/15/2011, 6:17 PM
Here's one from me.

http://www.mediafire.com/?knqp3xdbd30d26n

I absolutely love RX.
farss wrote on 11/15/2011, 7:15 PM
Here you go.

Before

After

I shoud mention that I made no effort whatsoever to tweak the presets I used in Rx.
It's quite possible an even better outcome could have been achieved with a few tweaks, in particular turning down or off the amount of broad spectrum noise reduction in the noise reduction passes.

Bob.
PeterDuke wrote on 11/15/2011, 7:26 PM
Spectral repair of sustained music would be easier than for something like speech. The trick is that the waveform must be predictable in the vicinity of the patch. I agree that it works very well in iZotope Rx 2.
PeterWright wrote on 11/15/2011, 10:23 PM
RoS, I was also looking at the new Ozone, and I am also a frequent user of the 32 bit Mastering Effects Bundle. The only word I couldn't find in the Ozone description was "Compressor", or could this be this covered as part of the "Multiband Dynamics" feature?
musicvid10 wrote on 11/15/2011, 10:46 PM
As an audio guy first and video second, I wish I could afford this gem, along with Nugen Audio VisLM!
farss wrote on 11/16/2011, 1:07 AM
"The only word I couldn't find in the Ozone description was "Compressor", or could this be this covered as part of the "Multiband Dynamics" feature? "

Not that I'm RoS but from the description of their Multiband Dynamics:

One of most powerful tools in Ozone is the multiband Dynamics module, which incorporates compression, limiting, expansion and gating. Finely tune the dynamics of your mixes with independent control over up to four frequency bands. With the all-new interactive Threshold control, set threshold points for the Limiter, Compressor, and Gate while never taking your eyes off of the gain reduction meter. Superimposed loudness history (histogram) and input/gain reduction meters provide extra insight while making your detailed Dynamics tweaks

Yes, it covers compression.

Bob.
PeterWright wrote on 11/16/2011, 1:36 AM
Cheers Bob
ChristoC wrote on 11/16/2011, 2:18 AM
Yes I agree iZotopeRX2 is amazing - I recently used it to remove all sorts of weird noises from a multitrack recording of a small ensemble (Grand Piano, Violin, Cello & Voice) playing for a Australia's premier modern Dance Company; the client wanted to tour the show to Europe without musicians, but didn't want to record without dancers or audience due to the spantaneous nature of the music, especially in regards to tempo.

I chose takes from different performances for their musical merit and adherance to desired tempos, but there were still coughs, sneezes, thumps, scrapes, farts and all manner of things going on including rain (yes! they made rain on the stage!), an Ambulance passing and airconditioning.

Celemony's 'Melodyne Editor' looked after any slight pitch blemishes; that is another gobsmacking application.

After carefull processing it sounded like a pristine studio recording ..... but with a distinct 'live' feel (I use the word 'live' loosely, as all the musicians I have ever recorded have been 'not dead' at the time).

ushere wrote on 11/16/2011, 3:05 AM
I use the word 'live' loosely, as all the musicians I have ever recorded have been 'not dead' at the time.

which is more than can be said for some of the pollies and ceo's i've had the misfortune to record....
Ros wrote on 11/16/2011, 7:28 AM
RoS, I was also looking at the new Ozone, and I am also a frequent user of the 32 bit Mastering Effects Bundle.

Peter, I have been testing Ozone 5, that is the standard version and really like having all the mastering plugins open up in one window and then getting started with their general presets and fine tuning afterwards. Will most likely be getting it.

The Mastering plugins were my last issue to resolve in order to move on to Vegas 64-Bit exclusively and luckily Izotope RX is 64-Bit.

Rob
Jay Gladwell wrote on 11/16/2011, 5:42 PM

It just takes one save like that and it's more than paid for itself!