OT: Lecture/Demo videotaping Advice needed.

bjtap wrote on 5/11/2003, 2:13 PM
I am about to video a lecture/demo (involving audience participation) event with only one camera. Would you suggest just leaving the camcorder on a tripod and shooting all from one angle. (Possibly up to two hours), or hand holding the camera (Canon GL-1) and moving around, or keeping the cam on the tripod and moving it around that way or ????. I do have a steady tracker but I believe 2 hours of that would be out of line. Not sure if the 'action' will all be on a stage or out in the audience. In any case I will want some audience reaciton shots. It will be edited down to about 10-15 minutes.
Thanks,
Barry

Comments

Former user wrote on 5/11/2003, 2:25 PM
Get a second camera. Even if it isn't manned, just locked on a wide shot. Then you can move your camera and cutaway to break it up. Even 10 to 15 minutes is too long for one angle or constant movement.

Dave T2
bjtap wrote on 5/11/2003, 5:52 PM
Woa! I am sorry. I had no idea that my post made it even once as on my computer when I selected post, the blue line would go half way and stop. The screen never changed back to the board. No clue.
Barry
Dave TZ,
Thanks for the advice. I may be able to run a 2nd camera but it would be a Hi8. What are the ramifications of mixing digital and hi8 in editing?
Thanks again.
Barry
Former user wrote on 5/11/2003, 5:56 PM
I have mixed digital 8 and mini dv, but I don't know about HI8 and digital. The biggest difference of course will be the quality, but if there is enough difference in the angles and focal length, it might be accpetable.

Like I said, even that alternative will be better than a single camera IMHO.

Dave T2