OT: Line-in sharing on Mackie mixer

UlfLaursen wrote on 1/13/2012, 9:12 AM
Hi

I have this mixer, the Mackie 802 VLz3:

http://www.zikinf.com/_gfx/matos/dyn/large/mackie-802-vlz3.jpg

I have a problem, I have run out of line-in's...

Line 3 & 4 is for DVD
Line 5 & 6 is for Capture card output
Line 7 & 8 is for PC speaker out

The problem is that I have another PC spekaer out I would like to put on the mixer. I can of course use Line 1 & 2, but they are not on the same port, so I have to adjust the volume individually, and I don't like that.

Does anybody know if it is possible to get some kind of "line splitter" where I could put 2 devices on the same lines, if I did not use the two devices at the same time.

Any other suggestions are welcome as well :)

Thanks.

/Ulf

Comments

Chienworks wrote on 1/13/2012, 9:21 AM
RadioShack sells A/B switch boxes that you could use for this purpose. You could even build one yourself out of a few parts for probably 1/3 the cost of an preassembled box. Even an A/V switchbox would do the job though you'd only be using the audio connectors.

You can use Y connectors to plug both PC outs into the same mixer input and it may work since both are starting from the same device, but in general this is frowned upon. The switchbox is a much better solution.
UlfLaursen wrote on 1/13/2012, 9:29 AM
Thanks Kelly - I think I'll go for the switch box

/Ulf
rraud wrote on 1/13/2012, 9:49 AM
How about the Stereo (effects) Return? No EQ though, if that's an issue. Or, you could use the 'Tape in' if you just need to playback.
John_Cline wrote on 1/13/2012, 11:27 AM
You can generally "Y" outputs but never inputs. The switchbox is your best solution.
Radio Guy wrote on 1/13/2012, 11:49 AM
I second

How about the Stereo (effects) Return?

Use it all the time on this great little mixer. Use the Alt outs/mute for recording too like having an extra bus
UlfLaursen wrote on 1/13/2012, 12:36 PM
Thanks guys - will try the stereo return too :)

Ulf
Chienworks wrote on 1/13/2012, 1:09 PM
If two outputs share a common ground and power source, and are similar level, then they can usually be "Y"ed together without much issue. This would most likely be the case from the situation posited.

If they've got different levels then they won't blend well. If they've got different power sources then they can skew each other badly. If they have different grounds then you get a ground loop and it sounds like you're miking the inside of a high voltage power transformer. Generally it's better to avoid even trying.
musicvid10 wrote on 1/13/2012, 7:18 PM
+1 John Cline
Y-ing two outputs to one is not something I would do. The least that will happen is nonlinear distortion. The worst that will happen, . . . well I know a young man who lost three paychecks to pay for the result of doing just that (he actually turned out to be a pretty decent audio tech).
Geoff_Wood wrote on 1/13/2012, 11:03 PM
Being a tech, I would advise that commoning two outputs, or even two channels, is totally undesirable. A bit like tyting two cars together and driving separately !

Commoning two inputs is NO problem, unless the source is very load-impedence concious.

geoff
musicvid10 wrote on 1/14/2012, 9:53 AM
And one must never parallel a speaker output unless you are sure the amp can handle the lower net impedance.
UlfLaursen wrote on 1/14/2012, 1:54 PM
Got a switchbox today - great litle box. Thanks for all input.

Ulf