OT - M-Audio Firewire 410 and its competition

TorS wrote on 8/29/2007, 3:03 AM
There are now several boxes in this market, Echo AudioFire 4 and Edirol FA-66, to mention just two. On the surface, the M-Audio Firewire looks very satisfying, and is the only one with dual headphone outputs. But it is getting old, isn't it? Does anyone know a good technical reason to choose one or the other.
My main use of the box will be recording live choir/church music on a laptop.

Tor

Comments

rs170a wrote on 8/29/2007, 4:02 AM
As good as the 410 is, I've found the mic preamps to be a bit weak.
Take a look at the Presonus FP10 (formerly the Firepod) with 8 mic ins.
A buddy of mine has one that he uses with his laptop for gigs similar to yours and loves it.
It also works quite well with Vegas.
Inputs one and two can be switched between microphone or instrument level while inputs three through eight can be switched between microphone or line input.
Phantom power (+48V) is available on every channel in groups of four.
List price is $800 but B&H has it for $500.
It only has a single headphone output but Presonus has the HP4 4-ch. headphone DA. It's $100 at B&H.

Mike
farss wrote on 8/29/2007, 5:27 AM
If you want the Firepod Sweetwater has it for $399.
TGS wrote on 8/29/2007, 1:04 PM
How bad are the Phonix Helix mixers compared to these? I've heard they're really good for the price.
TorS wrote on 8/30/2007, 7:23 AM
I looked at the FP10, even read the manual. It seems very good. Just hear what they say about the pot'meter for the headphone out: Notice the volume indicator goes to 11 (loud).!
When I read up on the headphone box it was pointed out that its pots go all the way to 12! How can you beat that?
- - -
Dolphin (UK) has an extremely good price on it, but it is not on stock, so the price will most likely change when they get it. Rose Morris may be a better bet. I am going to London in October so I can probably make them reserve me one so I can pick it up in Denmark Street. Unless Grazie wants to lend me his mail address for a while?
Imagine, all the way to 12!
Tor