OT Miller DS10 with Solo carbon fibre legs

Grazie wrote on 1/25/2005, 2:37 PM
I haven't done an OT for sometime now - so I'm due one!

OK - what do we think of the Miller DS10 with Solo carbon fiber legs ? - I tihnk I've outgrown my "budget" tripod.

I have a decent price on this setup and would like to hear from my chums here.

Thanks in advance,

Grazie

Comments

epirb wrote on 1/25/2005, 3:02 PM
What? you've got a gammy leg?
Grazie wrote on 1/25/2005, 3:11 PM
Please . . ?

Grazie
farss wrote on 1/25/2005, 3:18 PM
Grazie,
we have one, EXCELLENT tripod. You need a bit of practice to get the knack of driving the legs but once you do you can rig the tripod with one hand.
If you need any 'bits' the factory is only 2 miles from where I live.
If nothing else that's one thing Miller have over the budget stuff, loose a release plate and you can buy another one.
The DS10 head is the way to go. Make certain you get the later one with adjustable counterbalance.

Bob.
Grazie wrote on 1/25/2005, 10:26 PM
THANK YOU BOB! - Great feedback . .. and from somebody 2 miles away from factory outlet too! . . . Yes, I believe it very well maybe the DS10 with Counter Balance.

I need some off-Forum advice .. . writing email at moment!

Grazie

(emailing youse now!)
Jay Gladwell wrote on 1/26/2005, 4:31 AM
Grazie, this may sound odd, but... congratulations! That's a positive sign in my book (not that it matters to a lot people). However, I honestly believe this is an indication of professional and artistic maturity.

It amazes me how often people will talk and talk and talk about cameras and image quality and the importance of both. Then they run out and buy a $3,000 - $5,000 camera and stick on a $150 tripod with a friction head, and it shows in their finished work.

Now before anyone jumps down my throat, I understand the financial side of this dilemma. However, I think more people need to be educated on the concept of the importance of "foundations." The simple truth of the matter is a good, solid set of "sticks" can make or break a shoot.

Someone here, I believe, recently used the analogy of automobile racing. You save up your money any buy a Ferrari, only to take it to K-Mart and have them put on tires that cost $75 a piece.

Jay

farss wrote on 1/26/2005, 5:29 AM
You could look at it another, a camera has a realistic life expectancy of 5 - 10 years, the latter if you really like hanging onto stuff. I've yet to hear of a tripod becoming obsolete, we've still got 2 serviceable Millers that I think were made before I was, and that's a LONG time ago.
Bob.
rs170a wrote on 1/26/2005, 5:48 AM
Just to add to Bob's comments, I'm still using the same Miller 25 (the original model, not the new DS25) that I started with over 30 years ago. It's been back once because the fluid head was sticking a bit (and I've replaced a few lock handles because I broke them) but, other than that, it's been a great piece of gear. Not as good as a Sachtler or an O'Connor, mind you, but still a damn good tripod - and a lot less money.

Mike
AlexB wrote on 1/26/2005, 6:40 AM
Grazie,
just another vote pro-Miller:
Got exactly the tripod you are after - sturdy design, variable, good head - I like it.
Alex
FrigidNDEditing wrote on 1/26/2005, 8:17 AM
What's better about the DS10 head versus something like the Bogen 503 Fluid Head?

Just out of curiousity

Dave
Jay Gladwell wrote on 1/26/2005, 8:58 AM
One way to compare is to pull each up online and read their stats and functional capabilities--next best thing to being there. Asking someone who owns or the other tends toward biased information (not always).

Jay
Coursedesign wrote on 1/26/2005, 10:06 AM
DV Magazine has had reviews of different sticks and heads, including the Miller DS10 in the March 2004 issue.

Bruce Johnson gave it a "5/5" for great legs, and a "3/5" for good head.

See Miller DS10 review. You have to register to access, but it's free (and no junk mail).
rextilleon wrote on 1/26/2005, 10:29 AM
Grazie--Vinten is an English firm and you might wont to try them out before jumping on the Miller---I have been very happy with the head and legs and the service has been spectacular---Just a thought--- you might even save a couple of quid--(isn't that what they call "dough" over there?)
Grazie wrote on 1/26/2005, 2:57 PM
Well, my "own" human legs are pretty worn out from walking around and around the Video forum Show, here in London . . . The Vinten models are super .. . and no mistake . . However, pound-for-pound and £-for-£, with the Miller "Show-Offer" on their carbon legs, the DS10 Solo setup ( yes Bob it is the latest spring counter balance system AND it is switchable AND I felt it! ) the Vinten - which is expensive - couldn't come close to my "budget" . . .

Jay, you are very correct in what you say. As soon as plopped my XM2 and its weight on the tripod, the camera/I, kinda just came alive! I can't express it any other way . .. She just floated! Am I making sense? Just having that solid reassurance let me concentrate 100% on framing. The tripod just vanished from my concerns.

Look, I started this craft a very few years ago .. I will never "catch-up" with those that have 30 years steal on me . . truly, there aint enough time left . . being honest people . . . not morbid here . . . so I guess I started with what I could afford then, 3 years ago, now I have quickly outgrown that which I regarded as "good-enough". Well it was . .. well I thought it was .. and it got me gigs and it paid the bills. But, now having had plenty of time to experiment with loads of tripods - FEEL the design that has/had gone into them AND marvelled at what is possible, I can now recognise the crucial, central importance how "workable" & "substantial" tripods affect capturing DV.

Thanks for all your help, guidance and assistance over this - you KNOW who you are! Thanks AlexB and Rexy and rs170a!

Grazie
farss wrote on 1/26/2005, 3:20 PM
Can I just add one small thing about Miller (and no I don't get a commission!).
They pretty much follow the old Aussie way of thinking. KISS!
Some bits don't look as flash as what you'll find on other gear, if they can use a bit you can buy in a hardware shop anywhere in the world they'll use it.

I'll add a small tip about buying tripods, no matter what you buy, buy a spare release plate. If they can't sell you one walk away. We have quite a collection of release plates from just about every tripod ever made that were left on cameras when they were returned to us. Despite ringing the client mostly they don't come back to get them, odd!
We buy quite a few cheap tripods as well as the Millers but the deal hinges on them delivering say 10 tripods and 3 release plates. Take my word for it, it's amazing how easy they get lost and Sony haven't helped with many of their cameras that require you to take the release plate off to change tapes!
Bob.