OT: Missing pixels on my JVC HD110 AGG!

goshep wrote on 1/13/2009, 8:35 PM
Hey all,

Just sat down to watch a short family video we made last night that I burned from the timeline to Blu-Ray on a standard DVD. I immediately noticed three white pixels on the screen and panicked. Was it the TV? Or the camera? Or maybe something weird in the encode? I ran back to the editing computer and pulled some footage from a recent project and viewed it on a second TV. Sure enough they were there too in the same spots. I don't know how I (or the client) missed them the first time but when you are looking for them you can see them.

So that narrows it down to the camera but is it the sensor, the lens or something else? Has anyone had a similar problem with any brand of camera? The camera is two years old and is always kept in a pelican case with moisture absorbers. It has never been transported by air or exposed to the TSA. Currently I am freaking out and looking for warranties and receipts. In the meantime, I knew I could seek comfort here. If the prognosis is horrible, I'd rather hear it from one of you than from some some impersonal tech support rep at JVC.

Thanks as always.

Comments

michaelshive wrote on 1/13/2009, 8:59 PM
There is a way to clean the sensor and I believe it is done through the menu system. A guy at work posted a tutorial on this and I don't have it in front of me at the moment. I'll post it tomorrow when I go in.
goshep wrote on 1/13/2009, 9:01 PM
Thanks Michael. I'll check the manual for it as well.
michaelshive wrote on 1/13/2009, 9:07 PM
Found this info. on another forum - give it a try:

Fortunately (which is rather excellent) the hd cams have an in built dead pixel fixer that's very accessible. We pretty much run the pixel comp facility before every shoot with this camera.

Stick your camera in HD24p and let it re-boot

Press User 3 and Focus assist together then at the same time press and hold the status button for longer than a second. (so you are pressing 3 buttons at the same time here).

This will enter the relevant service menu and from here you will see Pixel Comp in the list. Scroll down and hit execute. The camera will (should) repair all of the dead pixels within about 15 seconds then ask you to power the camera off then on again.
goshep wrote on 1/13/2009, 9:12 PM
You are AWESOME! I'm gonna give it a go right now!

Thank you!
goshep wrote on 1/13/2009, 9:24 PM
BINGO!

You rock! This whole forum rocks! I might just come here for EVERYTHING from now on. Car repair, home improvement, etc..

I can't tell you how stressed I was and how relieved I am now.

Time for a beer.

Thank you thank you thank you again!
FrigidNDEditing wrote on 1/13/2009, 9:33 PM
that's something EVERY camera should have at a prosumer level and above.

Dave
Cheno wrote on 1/13/2009, 9:37 PM
If I recall, the HD100 was notorious for pixel issues. I agree though, something like this could in many ways be implemented into a camera via menu. Sure beats sending it back and paying $500 to have service do the same thing.