Comments

rtbond wrote on 3/31/2013, 4:22 PM
An interesting April 1st product. :-).

Rob Bond

My System Info:

• Vegas Pro 20 Build 411
  • OS: Windows 11.0 Home (64-bit), Version: 10.0.22621 Build 22621
  • Processor: i9-10940X CPU @ 3.30GHz (14 core)
  • Physical memory: 64GB (Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 memory kit)
  • Motherboard Model: MSI x299 Creator (MS-7B96)
  • GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC ULTRA (Studio Driver Version =  536.40)
  • Storage: Dual Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD (boot and Render); WDC WD4004FZWX, 7200 RPM (media)
  • Primary Display: Dell UltraSharp 27, U2723QE, 4K monitor with 98% DCI-P3 and DisplayHDR 400 with Dell Display Manager
  • Secondary Display: LG 32UK550-B, entry-level 4k/HDR-10 level monitor, @95% DCI-P3 coverage
riredale wrote on 3/31/2013, 8:05 PM
Pretty good.

Actually, one of my projects in college was to design a complete surround methodology. Since we figured the widest stereo speaker spacing a human could tolerate and still get a decent location placement at all points in-between was about 60 degrees, we settled on a duodecahedron arrangement of mics. That's 12 hypercardiod mics, each located on a sphere. As such, each mic was 60 degrees away from any other mic. Never built the thing, though.
musicvid10 wrote on 3/31/2013, 9:01 PM
My prediction: it's never going to fly.
Putting 16 capsules that close together, well . . . ?
PeterWright wrote on 3/31/2013, 10:06 PM
It won a Red Dot product award.

Says it all.
Grazie wrote on 4/1/2013, 2:17 AM
Nice link LA.

So the innovative, if an "expected" evolution of camera-audio, is the bringing together of a semi-hyper cardioid mic, just visible through the mini-blimp & "cage" PLUS a solid state recording module. I suppose that was inevitable.

However, I want to experience an improvement in the handling noise creeping into the business-end of the receptor. I have three Rode on-camera mics and need to be very aware of the isolation. Not so with my comparable Senni kit.

An interesting and potentially situ adaptable piece of kit. It looks like it could also be hand held?

Grazie

craftech wrote on 4/1/2013, 6:46 AM
Putting 16 capsules that close together, well . . . ?
==================================
Hey a circle is a long way around. You never know where you might be standing in those massive 360 degrees.

And look at the compactness of the attachment. My iPhone in one pocket and the Rode 16 channel circular mic in the other. My jock strap will protect me and I might even leave my wallet at home.

John
Chienworks wrote on 4/1/2013, 7:29 AM
Reliving bad memories of fixing up my old Tascam 424 Portastudio with a shoulder strap and a 12V lead acid battery with a shotgun mic in my left hand AND carrying my full size VHS camcorder on my right shoulder to record an important interview with the mayor and a city councilman.

Ugh. Those were the days.
Opampman wrote on 4/1/2013, 8:23 AM
And then there were the 3/4" U-Matic "portable" decks hooked via umbilical cord to the camera!

Kent
musicvid10 wrote on 4/1/2013, 10:47 PM
Another April Fool's, Mike?

At least my skepticism is working at full on, as it is in this thread.
farss wrote on 4/2/2013, 1:13 AM
Just to inject a reality check seeing is how April Fools Day is long over down here.

Surround recording can be done with only 4 microphones and it's quite possible to roll you own quite cheaply. For those on a very limited budget:
http://blog.makezine.com/2009/12/15/diy-ambisonic-microphone/

A Google will find several other DIY projects.

For those with a bit of cash to splash:
http://www.core-sound.com/TetraMic/1.php

For those with a lot of cash to splash:
http://www.soundfield.com/

The odd thing is that Rode haven't made a soundfield mic, the NT5 capsule seems an excellent starting point.

There's also the Holophone which is more of a surround than soundfield mic system.

Bob.
Rory Cooper wrote on 4/2/2013, 2:15 AM
That’s cool recording flies buzzing around you has always been a problem, trying to follow these guys gets you dizzy.