Comments

TheHappyFriar wrote on 5/20/2008, 7:20 PM
leave it to NY to figure out how to take as much $$ from people as possible.

and they wonder why the state's out of $$, people flock anywhere else & nobody comes in here. :/

what's the saying? Can't get blood from a turnip. So NY is going after the people who planted the turnip now.
Steve Mann wrote on 5/21/2008, 9:31 PM
I don't see the problem. NY is only clarifying what they consider a "presence" in NY for the purpose of collecting sales tas.

How many of you have purchased equipment over the internet from another state and paid the required use tax for your state?

You are supposed to pay the tax regardless where the vendor is, it just depends on whom is going to collect it for the state.
Chienworks wrote on 5/22/2008, 4:25 AM
It looks like those new taxing laws only apply if you have some sort of agent or representative based in NY. If you're merely selling to someone in NY from your own home state then there are no changes.
kkolbo wrote on 5/22/2008, 6:57 AM
This is a well written and explained policy. My compliments to NY. It is easy to understand and is specific in its intent and scope. They are merely closing a loophole where a company could make sales using an agent located in NY and not pay sales tax on it. They give good examples on what is and is not covered.

KK
TheHappyFriar wrote on 5/22/2008, 7:29 AM
yes, it is explained. i find that they went to that much detail great.

basically what it means: if you have someone actually TRY to sell something for you, YOU are taxable. The only thing that you can't be taxed on is advertisements selling your product, but once a PERSON says "buy this" you're now taxable.

So... whom can I recommend services for so you can be taxed in NYS?
Steve Mann wrote on 5/22/2008, 11:04 AM
YOU are not taxed. The buyer is taxed and the state is expecting you to collect the sales tax for them. (Which is hard to enforce if you don't have a location in the state). If you buy something from another state, YOU *do* owe your state a use tax. Every purchase of tangible products is taxable. Who collects it is the problem that the states are trying to figure out.

At some point we will have states collecting sales/use taxes for other states. It's only a matter of time when this will happen.

Bob Greaves wrote on 5/22/2008, 7:13 PM
To add to the lack of clarity it is incorrectly named "Sales Tax" when in reality it is a Purchase Tax.