OT: New video market

Coursedesign wrote on 3/18/2010, 6:38 PM
A new kind of "print magazine" that uses video...

Check out both videos and think for a moment while taking a few deep breaths, because this truly is different.

It is a wild concept but it actually makes sense as a new presentation paradigm.

No doubt someone will say, "So what, anyone can do that. There is nothing new here."

I think they'll be proven wrong, as it will be a more effective way to present certain kinds of content.

OK, start your flamethrowers!

Don't disappoint me now. I know you can slam this!

:O)

Comments

Jay Gladwell wrote on 3/18/2010, 7:22 PM

Looks interesting to me, a high ticket item to be sure.

richard-courtney wrote on 3/18/2010, 8:15 PM
I was contacted by a local paper that IS moving from print to internet subscription
to do a commercial spot. While I don't think each issue will be as "glossy" as the
example you linked, there was a sample where the stories come to life. Can't
say too much more. Our mass transit system has onboard internet so you can
guess the potential.
Laurence wrote on 3/18/2010, 8:40 PM
You are absolutely right. This is going to be huge.
Jim H wrote on 3/18/2010, 10:18 PM
The people looked CG as well as the constructed 3D environment. Was that lighting or after effects or both? or were they CG? I think not after the comment about filming with a Red.
ushere wrote on 3/18/2010, 10:24 PM
agree with rc....

it's got great commercial potential, but i don't think we'll see too much at this level of production value.

most (NOT all) companies want the most bang for the least buck, and the internet gives them a huge market at, say, iphone size. many will simply use animation, graphics with v/o, or perhaps studio material, but they aren't going to spend really big, unlike they would for tv or cinema.

still, be interesting to see where it goes.
farss wrote on 3/19/2010, 2:04 AM
I must have missed something. Doesn't seem any different to web pages built with Flash. Great potential that's been abused to death.

What did appeal was shooting at high fps so the viewer can ease motion to a stop.

Bob.
John_Cline wrote on 3/19/2010, 9:00 AM
I should have known that a link from Coursedesign was somehow going to involve Apple.

Interesting eye candy, but I don't see how it made the actual information contained in the text any more useful.
Steve Mann wrote on 3/19/2010, 11:17 PM
Big deal - he is an Apple user, so I would expect him to pass Apple news to us if it involves Video.

The scuttlebutt in the PC trade press says that the iPad is not likely to usher in a lot of pad PC's, just as the eReaders have been lackluster. Why sped $300 on an eReader with proprietary and locked content when a netbook for half that will do more?

farss wrote on 3/20/2010, 12:25 AM
"Why sped $300 on an eReader with proprietary and locked content when a netbook for half that will do more?"

Because the eReaders like the Kindle shite all over a netbook because of the display technology.

Bob.
DJPadre wrote on 3/20/2010, 12:39 AM
its nothing that cannot be done on any average handheld PDA downlaoding a Powerpoint file with embedded video... in fact this is what kind of product i provide my clients to email out to potential clients for sales pitches...

honestly i dont know what the fuss is about in regard to teh ipad, its a frign touchpad capable mac... wooptee doo
DJPadre wrote on 3/20/2010, 12:41 AM
bob in regard to yoru reply, considering the pathetic HD market, i dont think people really care about the dispalys so long as its readable...
farss wrote on 3/20/2010, 1:44 AM
The eInk displays seem much, much nicer for reading.
A fraction of the power consumption, like the things will run for weeks off tiny batteries, power is only used when you turn a page.
Plus it's reflective and matte, just like paper.
I kind of went meh, when I first heard of this, like you I went "but why not buy a netbook" but the heavy book readers I know just love this new tech. One I know bought the Sony unit I think, she reads a couple of fantasy novels a week and loves the reader. She has a laptop as well, hates reading off it, too much eyestrain, too much power consumption etc plus wrong aspect ratio.

Bob.
ushere wrote on 3/20/2010, 3:19 AM
you can buy an awful lot of proper books for $300.

you can lend them to your friends (after writing your name in them of course!)

you can come back to them 10 years later (no drm)

put them on a shelf where people who visit your home can immediately size / sum you up

and most importantly, you can forget them in a taxi and NOT panic.

yes, they're an alternative, but not one either my wife or myself have ever considered seriously - and we're both very heavy readers (though i'm by far the lighter of the two!)

as my wife pointed out, you can't get 'an anatomy of melancholy', or 'the man without qualities' on an ereader....
apit34356 wrote on 3/20/2010, 3:36 AM
"OK, start your flamethrowers!" Oh,PLEASE! Coursedesign.... you known, we only bring out the big toys for you and your love toy Apple! ;-)

This is old/new news recycled for Apple's ipad. If this becomes big, more jobs for the work force in editing....... East and WEST COAST....

farss wrote on 3/20/2010, 3:55 AM
"you can buy an awful lot of proper books for $300."

How long since you bought a book?
I just pulled a paperback at random off the shelf. "Task Force Dagger" $33.00. What about if it's out of print?

Bob.
Rob Franks wrote on 3/20/2010, 8:46 AM
"I should have known that a link from Coursedesign was somehow going to involve Apple. "

Hilarious!
That's the FIRST thing I thought of when I clicked the link.