OT: Newegg for parts...trustworthy?

MyST wrote on 5/23/2004, 5:43 AM
Newegg seems to have really good prices. Even if I figure in the Can/US exchange rate.
They don't seem to ship to Canada, but that's not a problem since I can have the stuff shipped to our company's broker in the US and have it delivered at work.
The Samsung 120gig SATA drives have a perfect rating from the many reviewers. Anybody here have any experience with them?
Two of them set up in a raid config seems like a good plan.
3 year warranty to boot.
I'm also looking at the M-Audio Delta 410 soundcard. NOBODY has a lower price.
Maybe other parts as well.

So, does anyone have good/bad experiences with them?

Thanks

Mario

Comments

JohnnyRoy wrote on 5/23/2004, 6:23 AM
> So, does anyone have good/bad experiences with them?

Mario, Newegg is as solid as a rock! They have got to be the one of the best parts suppliers on the net. Check out the PC Equipment page on my web site where I talk about my positive experience with newegg and recommend a few other places I’ve used when newegg was out of stock. Bottom line: I purchased over $1000 in computer parts from them to build my latest PC and I was very impressed with their service. They are always the first stop on my shopping list and I highly recommend them.

~jr
GmElliott wrote on 5/23/2004, 6:26 AM
Newegg along with Zip Zoom Fly.com are the only two computer parts retailers I order from. Never been dissapointed.
InterceptPoint wrote on 5/23/2004, 6:29 AM
I bought my M-Audio Revolution 7.1 from Newegg. I believe that they are one of the best if not the best of the Internet suppliers. Perfect service. Excellent tracking system. A 5-star supplier in my book.
MyST wrote on 5/23/2004, 6:32 AM
I'm still not convinced! Am I overly paranoid??

Kidding!

Thanks much guys!

Mario
vitamin_D wrote on 5/23/2004, 8:16 AM
Plenty of great experiences with them and with Allstarshop as well...

- jim
shogo wrote on 5/23/2004, 10:18 AM
Absolutely best customer support. I have built 10-15 computers from them for clients by buying all of the parts individually. Built 3 personal computers from there myself not a problem one except a motherboard I blew by overclocking. Even then they refunded my money with no questions asked. Seriously they are a great company and I very seldom buy local computer equipment unless I am in a hurry or something. Go to resellerratings.com up on the top you can search by company and look them up or here is a direct link,
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2121.html

with a lifetime rating of 9.72 and over 6,400 ratings I can't imagine you could not be convinced!
DavidMcKnight wrote on 5/23/2004, 12:31 PM
I've ordered from newegg maybe 4 or 5 times, never been disappointed
johnmeyer wrote on 5/23/2004, 12:57 PM
I've ordered a few things from them and had no problems.
TomE wrote on 5/23/2004, 1:14 PM
I love Newegg.com I have built 3 systems so far with most of the parts coming from them.

I also have had success with Compuplus.com. I have gotten OEM software (WinXP Pro and Office XP Pro) as well as some hard drives. I am still using all of them.

I did have to return a graphics card once to Newegg and they gave me an RMA with no questions asked. They refunded my money and I was able to go out and buy one locally since I needed it in a hurry.

-TomE
bjtap wrote on 5/23/2004, 7:30 PM
I have made 3 orders from New Egg plus one order that was cancelled. EVERYTHING was teriffic! Fast completion of the order, delivery before scheduled time, prompt credit on my cancelled order. New Egg is the first place I look to buy things over the internet.
Barry
Bill Ravens wrote on 5/24/2004, 6:27 AM
INDUBITABLY!
Jsnkc wrote on 5/24/2004, 7:56 AM
I have also ordered thousands of dollars in parts from them. Whenever it comes time for me to upgrade my computer they are always the first place I go. Great Company!
MyST wrote on 5/24/2004, 8:57 AM
Enough already!! I'm convinced! :-)

Actually I've got a sound card, two SATA WD hard-drives, an NEC CD-RW(black) and a floppy drive (black) sitting in the shopping cart. Just waiting for the finances to come together...shouldn't be long now.
That should go well with my Athlon 2800+, Asus mobo, Pioneer 107 drive (black), and Antec Sonata case.

Mario
JakeHannam wrote on 5/24/2004, 12:11 PM
Is New Egg a reconstitution of Egghead? I always loved Egghead and hated to see them go out of business.
cbrillow wrote on 5/25/2004, 11:24 AM
Well, I wasn't gonna add to this, but since you brought up the subject of Egghead --- I've often wondered the same thing. However, I wasn't particularly fond of Egghead, having often been lure into the store by sales items that were "sold out" on the first day of the sale at opening time.

But -- newegg.com, it's just plain outstanding. The very model of what an online company should be. Great prices, fast order processing & delivery, keeping you informed every step of the way, no-hassle customer service. I can't recommend any place more highly.
InterceptPoint wrote on 5/25/2004, 12:58 PM
Re: Egghead vs. Newegg, I picked the following up on epinions.com. It looks like there is no connection between the two, just a like sounding name.

Here is the epinons posting:

I do have one clarification on the review for you. I too thought that Newegg.com was an heir to the Egghead.com company after the debacle of their database being hacked and several million credit card numbers stolen. I had seen differing reports as to whether or not this was true, so I emailed Newegg and asked. Their response was the below:

'Dear Jason,

You are not the first person to question the connection between our two companies. There is no connection between NewEgg.com and the old EggHead Software. You wouldn't believe the volume of customers who write us emails declaring "EggHead is my favorite store!" or "I've been shopping with you since the old EggHead Software days." Huh? But seriously, there isn't any relation other than the fact that our names sound similar and may look so in writing, and that we both cater to computer users. It is evident though that they must have made some of their customers happy because they appear pleased to be shopping with them again, even though we must politely inform them that we are our own entity entirely.

Regards,

William Lazaro'
JakeHannam wrote on 5/25/2004, 1:15 PM
Thanks for the clarifications, guys. I will add Newegg to my list of good businesses to deal with.