OT Out of Action... for awhile

BillyBoy wrote on 6/28/2003, 10:01 PM
A few nights ago I was doing what I'm usually doing, sitting in front of the old PC. As usual I was sipping a beverage. Noticed a couple times in a row more liquor dribbled out of my mouth than I swallowed. Odd, but I just wrote it off as not paying attention. That and a bad case of eye strain (or so I thought) with my eyes tearing up pretty bad.

Phone rings, I answer, start to talk and it becomes obvious I'm slurring my speech. The more I talk, the worse its getting. About an hour before I had a fairly severe pain behind my left ear. You bet, I was starting to panic a little, am I having stroke? I do a quick web search for pain behind ear, some of my other symptoms, and something I haven't heard of before pops up. Bell's Palsy. http://www.bellspalsy.ws/

Among other things, it says usually one side of your face is paralized. Onset is frequently immediate with little or no warning. I go to a mirror, check out symptoms, can't blink or shut one eye, my lips on one side were dropping, couldn't even wiggle my nose or open my mouth straight.

Anyhow my doctor confirmed yesterday that's why I got. Probably some virus caused it. Not common, but not exactly rare either, several thousand people just in the U.S. have their seventh cranial nerve affected this way and it can take 3 months or longer before any noticable improvelment. Geez, I hope not. In my case, effects mostly my left eye (this is taking ten times longer than normal to write) and drat, it also is effecting my eating which also takes lots longer. That may be a good thing. Finally, a diet I'll have to follow.

Anyways, till I can see better and the excessive tearing stops I won't be posting much if at all. So I thought I'd explain what happened to me and why I haven't posted and won't be much for awhile. If I do post, maybe at long last I'll learn to post shorter.

Comments

starixiom wrote on 6/28/2003, 10:07 PM
Sorry to hear that. Takes some time off and away from your computer.

You will be missed during your absence.
PeterWright wrote on 6/28/2003, 10:07 PM
That's bad news BillyBoy - a friend got this last year and I'm happy to say that it cleared up completely, but did take a while - about 8 weeks for him.

Anyway, all the best for getting over it as quickly as possible, and try and stay in touch, even if it is with short posts!

peter
filmy wrote on 6/28/2003, 10:09 PM
Sorry to hear about that BB. A good friend of my wife just had the same thing happen...about a month and a half ago maybe. My wife called from work saying how she had stopped over at her friends house and how she noticed her entire left side of her face was sagging. My wife had to go to work but she was paniced a bit thinking her friend was having a stroke. Turns out to be Bells Palsy.

keep the faith Billy. Be well.
markrad wrote on 6/28/2003, 10:15 PM
BillyBoy,
Not to minimize what you're going through but I think we can ALL agree we're glad you didn't suffer a true stroke! Take care and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Mark
Trichome wrote on 6/28/2003, 10:57 PM
best wishes on a speedy recovery. your tutorials, troubleshooting and inciteful answers are truely respected. get well soon.
Gary
JumboTech wrote on 6/28/2003, 11:59 PM
Apparently, too much Vegas can bring this on and the cure is that you have to give up all your SoFo software and switch to Final Cut Pro. Hmm..., maybe you'd prefer the palsy as using FCP sounds a lot like your symptoms.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery...

Al
craftech wrote on 6/29/2003, 12:10 AM
Bill,

I am really sorry to hear that this happened to you. You have helped me more times than I can count. I wish there were some way I could help you. Please let me know if I can. Here is my e-mail address: craftech@hvc.rr.com
Don't give up on it. I know that if you put your mind to it you will find the right doctors who will help you beat it.

Best Wishes,
John
debbie wrote on 6/29/2003, 1:03 AM
Hi Billy Boy,
I'm sorry to hear about the Bell's Palsy. I know that it's very frustrating not to be able to do the things that you want to do--like post on the forum!

I really appreciate all of the times you've helped me with projects and I'll miss you while you recover! Someone at my husband's office had Bell's and she's fine now. It just takes time and patience.

Take care,
Debbie
Grazie wrote on 6/29/2003, 1:14 AM
Bill - I wondered where you'd been. Keep us informed on how you're getting better. Don't tire yourself out . . .. and take care . . .please!

Best Regards,

Grazie
p_l wrote on 6/29/2003, 1:59 AM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
DavidPJ wrote on 6/29/2003, 6:15 AM
From a former Vegas neophyte and still learning, thanks for your helpful comments. Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Dave
bjtap wrote on 6/29/2003, 6:52 AM
As you can see there are a lot of people here who's prayers and thoughts are with you BillyBoy. Just add mine to the growing list.
Barry
Bill Ravens wrote on 6/29/2003, 7:41 AM
jeeez, that's terrible to hear. wish you the best, take care of yourself.
mikkie wrote on 6/29/2003, 7:48 AM
Don't know if you'll read this or not Bill, but thoughts are sent just the same... maybe they'll get there.

Besides prayers and good wishes, what I would send is hope, for today and those that follow. Each day brings with it good and bad - try to find the good if you can, in the face of all that not good you'll encounter.

Struck a few years back with another illness, in some ways I guess I have been there... Really hard for me to wite (imagine for you to read) platitudes right now, & I'm sure you'll hear your share of often unwelcome advice in the coming days.

Thinking about this for a bit, guess there's 2 things I would say that, well, I wish had been said to me. Don't be afraid to feel: Fear and anger both are powerful stimulants to your immune system, and with an occassional bit of joy each day, where ever you can manage to find it, your spirit and resolve both grow. Try not to live just for the future when you will be well, but live today too.

Do what you can, when you can, to communicate with others whom are ill. Not sure exactly why it helps, might seem the opposite a time or three, but it most often does, especially early on - don't forget to include friends and family if you can. It's hard for others to get a handle on this sort of thing, some won't ever, and it really does help talking to others who deal with someone close being ill, to know they're not alone. Those close are part of this too.

May all our good wishes, thoughts go with you through this...

dat5150 wrote on 6/29/2003, 9:33 AM
Billy...I've only been here a short time and I always appreciate your comments. My thoughts and prayers will be with you during this trying time.

Doug
MadMikey wrote on 6/29/2003, 9:39 AM
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Mike
XOG wrote on 6/29/2003, 10:13 AM
Same here, BillyBoy.

I truly appreciate your expertise, and willingness to share it.

XOG
PAW wrote on 6/29/2003, 10:13 AM

BillyBoy - sorry to hear your news, best of luck with a speedy recovery

PAW
TorS wrote on 6/29/2003, 11:18 AM
I guess your face will be like the Vegas preview window now; one half showing before and one after.
Get well soon, BB.
Tor
winrockpost wrote on 6/29/2003, 11:21 AM
Reading many of your posts it is obvious you go after things head on,, same with this hurdle and I know you will kick its @#$$

Thoughts are with you
JohnnyRoy wrote on 6/29/2003, 12:54 PM
BillyBoy,

Like others, I am very sorry to her this happened to you. You do have to look on the bright side and be thankful it wasn’t a stroke. You’ll be missed around here but you’ll be back before you know it. I will keep you in my prayers and you just remember to keep your spirits up and get well soon. Chicago is a long way from New York but if there is anything I can “virtually” do for ya’, just give a shout. (john_rofrano at hotmail.com)

Just remember: That, which doesn’t kill us... makes us stronger. ;-)

~jr
organism_seven wrote on 6/29/2003, 2:32 PM
Hi,

You probably don't even remember my name, because I am just one of the many people here, who with your help, tutorials and advice have enabled us to overcome the many obstacles that occur when learning how to use Vegas.
Thanks for that, and keep posting even if they are short!

Like others have mentioned, Bells Palsy just takes time and patience to finally go away.
Frustrating I know, but at least you have the comfort of knowing that this is only a temporary ailment.
Best Wishes

Organism Seven

Guy Bruner wrote on 6/29/2003, 8:29 PM
BB,
Like everyone else, I'm sorry to hear about your affliction. I, too, have used your tutorials to improve my V4 skills and will miss even a short period of inactivity. I wish you all the best and hope that you will be back with us soon...

Guy
MyST wrote on 6/29/2003, 8:38 PM
"If I do post, maybe at long last I'll learn to post shorter."

That's OK, your shorter posts will probably still contain more info than other's long ones. ;)

Take care. Read you soon.

M