OT: Pet Peeve

Comments

B.Verlik wrote on 2/21/2006, 7:47 PM
Oh yeah. My pet peeve. The insistence of using Latin in this day and age.
wolfbass wrote on 2/21/2006, 7:58 PM
In reference to the I never thought I'd see this on the 'net':

I heard this put-down the other day:

'He's the sort of guy that would use "whom" in a text message'!

Funny stuff :)
John_Cline wrote on 2/21/2006, 7:58 PM
Wow, 103 posts on a single thread in just over twelve hours. This may be some sort of record for this forum.

Uh, make that 104...

John
wolfbass wrote on 2/21/2006, 8:02 PM
AND the majority of it good humoured!

Ooops, 105!
johnmeyer wrote on 2/21/2006, 8:51 PM
I never added my pet peeve, courtesy of the late Howard Cosell who would often say, "Joe Namath passed for three touchdowns on the day."

On the day???

Actually, maybe all the mis-use of the English language is his fault.
DrLumen wrote on 2/21/2006, 9:09 PM
Krispy Kreme...

Good doughnuts or donuts or do-nuts or whatever but lousy spelling.

intel i-4790k / Asus Z97 Pro / 32GB Crucial RAM / Nvidia GTX 560Ti / 500GB Samsung SSD / 256 GB Samsung SSD / 2-WDC 4TB Black HDD's / 2-WDC 1TB HDD's / 2-HP 23" Monitors / Various MIDI gear, controllers and audio interfaces

farss wrote on 2/21/2006, 9:52 PM
Man's use of language has been evolving since God created us with the power of speech.

Ooops, sorry, might be the wrong thread :)
Serena wrote on 2/21/2006, 10:36 PM
Bob, your ruse is too transparent: you want to add the two threads so we can get that bottle of champagne awarded for a thread exceeding 200 posts!
VOGuy wrote on 2/21/2006, 10:59 PM
Just last week, I client who produces web video productions (BIG TIME client - A major automobile manufacturer) needed a "sample" for a re-do of a training video. Apparently, the client needed a "different sounding read", because "something was wrong with the previous read." What was wrong was that the script was a mess - the subjects were singular, while the verbs were plural... There were no conjunctions or articles... tenses were all wrong. I had made corrections, and had to re-do the script "as written".

I re-recorded the "samples" using various tones and styles - I also included a corrected version of the script. -I asked to client to check out my reads before forwarding to their client.

Well, I got word that the client chose the version that I had re-written. When I pointed out to my client that I had corrected the English, I got the following back:

"Do not change the script! It has been approved and we do not have the budget to change it. Use the same voice-tone you used in the version they liked. -It is not your job to approve or change the writing.

The "voice-tone" I used was the same as the other version, only the English was closer to being correct, and as a result "easier on the ear".

I re-recorded according to instructions. Don't know how their client liked it.

busterkeaton wrote on 2/21/2006, 11:36 PM
I think Mrs Malaprop got there before Norm Crosby.

I once heard the sportscaster Brent Musberger say, well he's not pretty when he does it, if he was a painting, he'd be a Pollock Jackson."
AlanC wrote on 2/22/2006, 1:01 AM
The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the EU, rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty’s Government conceded that English spelling has some room for improvement and has accepted a 5 year phase-in plan that will be known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, “s” will replace the soft “c”. Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy.

The hard “c” will be dropped in favour of the “k”. This should klear up any konfusion and keyboards kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome “ph” will be replased with “f”. This will make words like “fotograf” 20% shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double leters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent “e”s in the language is disgraseful and they should go away.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing “th” with “z” and “w” with “v”.

During ze fifz year, ze uneseseray “o” kan be dropd from vords kontaining “ou” and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultiz and evrivum vil find it ezi to understand ech ozer.

ZE DREM VIL FINALI KUM TRU AND ZEN VE VIL TAKE OVER ZE VORLD!!!
AlanC wrote on 2/22/2006, 1:24 AM
Another question:

What word has two entries in the English dictionary?

Both are spelt exactly the same, yet mean the opposite of each other (well almost)

Grazie wrote on 2/22/2006, 1:40 AM
Yes Alan, very Cleave-er

. . but then again I cheated!

Grazie
AlanC wrote on 2/22/2006, 3:17 AM
Grazie, that was obviously too, to, two easy for you!

I shall have to think of something better.

Alan
Jay Gladwell wrote on 2/22/2006, 4:59 AM

Sereana said, When checking (before posting) we tend to read what we meant;...

Guilty as charged. This is one of my biggest failings. I can "proof" something I've written 10 times. Great, no mistakes. Then I post it...

... frequently I have to go back in and edit.

... and when I read it after posting, I find all sorts of mistakes. I would be very curious to know what is happening in such cases. (See below.)

LOL -- Good one, Alan!

bw wrote on 2/22/2006, 5:14 AM
What about vulnerable and the common use of vunerable?
AlanC wrote on 2/22/2006, 5:37 AM
Jay

I noticed that you edited your last posting. Was that to rectify a mistake? :~)

Alan
JJKizak wrote on 2/22/2006, 5:37 AM
I kind of like some of the new words---"dingus", "catewompus", "thingy",
"humongus",---not necessarily spelled correctly.
JJK
Jay Gladwell wrote on 2/22/2006, 5:41 AM

I noticed that you edited your last posting. Was that to rectify a mistake?

See? I've proved my own point!

:o)

AlanC wrote on 2/22/2006, 5:59 AM
"See? I've proved my own point!"

Should that not be "proven"?

:~)
Jay Gladwell wrote on 2/22/2006, 6:11 AM

Alan, I debated that, actually.

;o)

GenJerDan wrote on 2/22/2006, 7:46 AM
"nukular" for "nuclear" is a common metathesis. Common as in Clinton, Carter, Ford, Kennedy, and Eisenhower + a whole slew of people from below the Mason-Dixon.

Problem is, "nuclear" is an odd arrangement of sounds. I can't think of any other words that are similar. At least with nukular, right off the top of my head is "avuncular".
Chienworks wrote on 2/22/2006, 7:55 AM
And "avuncular" isn't odd? ;)

Try "circular" instead.
Grazie wrote on 2/22/2006, 7:58 AM

How does the "H" get dropped from the pronunciation of the botanical flavouring, often employed in the culinary arts, when it crosses the Pond and gets pronounced, "erbs" ?!? yuck It's HERBS! HERBS! HERBS - Grazie