OT: Photoshop Red eye Reduction

Rednroll wrote on 5/1/2004, 3:26 PM
I'm pretty familiar with using Photoshop. I'm currently using v7.0. I know photoshop must have a red eye reduction tool for photographs. I've done some searchs in the help file and on this forum and haven't found it yet. Can someone give me the steps to do red eye reduction/correction using Photoshop? Do I need a special plugin for this?

TIA,
Red

Comments

PAW wrote on 5/1/2004, 3:52 PM

You don't need a plugin, make a selection of the red part of the eyes ive the 0.5 feathr and then use the channel mixer to take the red channel down to get rid of the red.

This gets tedious after a while so the andromeda red eye pro plug in makes it a while lot easier.

ping me a t tothewhites at yahoo.co.uk I have a PDF and a quicktime movie that goes through the steps.

Paul
kentwolf wrote on 5/1/2004, 8:19 PM
>>...use the channel mixer to take the red channel down...

Another way is to:

Use Quick Mask with a soft brush.
Select the red eye.
Back to normal mode
Invert the selection
Use the desaturation sponge [O].
Deselect.
All done.

Personally, I have found the sponge tool slightly nicer looking than the channel mixer, however, I have had many good channel mixer tweaks. It all depends of your photos.

Yes, this is very tedious, but yields very good results.

As much as I liked Paint Shop Pro 8, the one thing that never set right was thier way of handling red-eye; the idea of essentially slapping a fake eye on the photo. Maybe this was the consumer easy way.

Photoshop CS is the king; I love it, but Paint Shop Pro 8 is an excellent program and a tremendous value.
musman wrote on 5/1/2004, 10:43 PM
I belive I just used the clone tool and things turned out pretty good.
RichMacDonald wrote on 5/2/2004, 4:08 AM
A google search with <photoshop "red eye" tutorial> will give you all you need. One favorite approach is shown here. To be honest, I've never looked for a red-eye reduction plugin because I don't find any plugin does as well as manual patching. I usually just use a combination of clone and heal.

OT, but I couldn't resist: Actually, the best cure for red-eye is to use a good camera/flash to avoid them entirely :-) Red-eye is caused when the flash is too close to the lens. A mounted flash is offset from the lens by just a few inches, but its enough. Also, never point the flash directly at the subject unless you actually like harsh lighting and back shadow :-) Aim the flash at the ceiling or wall to "bounce" it off the subject and get even lighting. When you can't trust the ceiling/wall to be conveniently located, get yourself a handheld bounce. I use the lumiquest 80-20 plus accessory kit, shown here. Cost me $50 and the best camera purchase I *ever* made. Gives me control of the lighting and it looks really cool too :-) I struck out finding a really good online tutorial on the subject (here is a quick blurb) but you can find entire books devoted to the subject at your local bookstore in the photography section.
Rednroll wrote on 5/2/2004, 8:11 AM
Thanks, for all the information. I always wondered what caused Red-eye so I could try and avoid it in the first place. Rich did a good job of explaining that. I used the channel mixer and reduced the red channel with the eye selected and it worked perfectly for my needs. I was hoping it would be simple, because I bought my wife a digital camera for Christmas, and a lot of the pictures she took had red-eye and she was asking me if there was a way to fix them. I figured I've used Photoshop for just about everything else over the years and this seems like a pretty common task. She's never used Photoshop, but I was able to give her a few lessons on using the selection, zoom, and working with layers and then adjusting the red in the channel mixer and she was off and running and I was back to more important things, like watching the redwings game. :-)

Thanks for all the advice, I think I'm going to bookmark this post, because there's lot's of good info here that I might need in the future, when I start to do more video work.
BPB wrote on 5/2/2004, 11:15 AM
I have Photoshop and Paint shop Pro and the best red eye plug i've found is in Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition 2.0..a free download. This may be in the newer version of Photoshop (I have an older version).

Drag a box around the eyes hit the button..fixed.
bb
JakeHannam wrote on 5/2/2004, 11:24 AM
Photoshop CS (version 8) supposedly has a red-eye reduction feature but it has never worked right for me. I always get grey pupils when they should be black,

I use the channel-reduction feature others have mentioned above and it works perfectly.

Jake