Comments

john-beale wrote on 2/15/2008, 10:26 AM
I think that's a good price for what you get. I believe the different PS3 models are mainly differentiated by the size of the hard drive, and 20 GB is the smallest one. But it's a standard 2.5" SATA hard drive, same as used in laptops, you can upgrade it yourself if you want: http://www.gamersreports.com/article/43/

I got a 40 GB PS3 a few weeks ago just as a blu-ray player, but I discovered it has another useful ability I didn't even know about. You can stream HD video to it from your PC, without burning a disc! All you need to do is have your PC and PS3 on the same network, and run DLNA UPnP compatible server software on the PC such as TVersity, TwonkyVision, WMP11 etc. From your PS3 you can then browse video files over the network, and view them on your HDTV.

http://www.tversity.com/home
http://www.twonkymedia.com
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/default.aspx

The PS3 can play MPEG1, MPEG2 and MPEG4 AVC/H.264 video natively, at resolutions up to 1080p. If you have an unsupported format, your server needs to transcode it.
FrigidNDEditing wrote on 2/15/2008, 12:07 PM
I think it'd be pretty nice if we could use PS3's as a network renderer for Vegas.

Dave
john-beale wrote on 2/15/2008, 1:42 PM
The PS3 is a fairly powerful computer for some tasks, but due to the very different internal architecture, software has to be built from the ground up to run on it. As far as I know, there are no "trivial" ports of existing code, that really take advantage of the 8-way Cell architecture.

Actually, is anyone using "network rendering" with Vegas in a useful way? From what I've read in this forum, distributed "encoding" to the commonly used distribution formats like MPEG2 or MPEG4 will not work over the network, due to problems both legal (MPEGLA licensing) and technical (split GOP reassembly). And distributed rendering doesn't work in real time, and that's all I'd use it for (live playback).
Kennymusicman wrote on 2/15/2008, 2:12 PM
To answer the bit about network rendering - if you are working on several projects, or have stuff that's going to take a while to render - then using network rendering is really useful as you can simply setup a slave(or more) to render, and leave the production machine to work on editing.
Also, it depends on what you are doing as a project - as something with lots of fx will benefit a lot, whereas a simple edit won't..
fldave wrote on 2/15/2008, 3:01 PM
The 40GB and 20GB models are dumbed down versions of the 80GB model, I believe.

Only the 80GB is compatible with PS1 and PS2 games, and I am pretty sure there are other limitations.

I went ahead with the 80GB.
craftech wrote on 2/15/2008, 4:58 PM
The 40GB and 20GB models are dumbed down versions of the 80GB model, I believe.

Only the 80GB is compatible with PS1 and PS2 games, and I am pretty sure there are other limitations.

I went ahead with the 80GB.
============
I posted it because I figured it was a reasonably priced Blu-Ray player (compared to current high priced players).

John
Houston Haynes wrote on 2/15/2008, 5:10 PM
The head of PS3 development has already hinted that emulation *could* be accomodated with a software emulator, so everyone is assuming that it will happen at some point for the units that don't have hardware emulation. But at the end of the day, who cares? The broader market is looking for a media platform that also plays games, not a game platform with legacy support.

Besides, there are a lot of PS1 and PS2 games that are being ported to PS3 directly and sold on the Playstation online store. Some of them are pretty fun, too. :) If you don't already have a slew of PS2 games, this should not be a deciding factor since those same people would own a PS2 (and they're still selling well). And if you do, then you can always hook up your PS2 to another port on your TV and play that way. I don't see how that's such a big deal, and the market is bearing that out.

Toys'R'Us is just blowing out PS3s to get people into their stores - it's about the only thing on the shelf that *doesn't* have leaded Chinese paint on it.
craftech wrote on 2/16/2008, 11:20 AM
Toys'R'Us is just blowing out PS3s to get people into their stores - it's about the only thing on the shelf that *doesn't* have leaded Chinese paint on it.
=========
Just so you know, I watched the hearings on that issue live on C-Span. That would be the only way you would find out what was going on because the regular network news media covers it up for Republicans every day.

The Democrats who insisted upon the hearings showed the slides of the abandoned Nike missle base that this administration moved the US product safety inspectors to after they cut funding for it through Republican majority vote (closed rule with no amendments). Then the Democrats showed slides of the toy safety inspection area.

It consisted of one twelve foot Samsonite folding table piled up halfway to the ceiling with toys. After that the Democrats showed the picture of the safety inspection team. ONE PERSON. That was the entire toy safety inspection team. A single person with a 12 foot table piled with toys to inspect for the entire nation.

The Republicans on the committee who were at the hearings insisted that the focus should be on China and not on domestic safety inspections.
You would need to start watching sessions of Congress live to know that their thing is to let industry regulate itself and to reward their indifference to public safety with tax cuts. Government paid employees are unnecessary and one person inspecting toys for safety paid by the government is one too many. The industry can regulate itself. So after the Republicans got done making the case for China being the problem the news media obediently began their "investigative reports" to show the public that China is the problem and not one single network told the public that there is only one toy safety inspector in the entire United States with a twelve foot table piled with toys to inspect for the entire United States.
The Democratic led committee came to the same conclusion that the committees for port safety and food safety came to. Budget cuts in the last Congress have led to the uninspected food that we consume, the ports being vulnerable to dangerous materials entry, and unsafe toys being sold to the public. None of these conclusions were reported by mainstream network news.

John
blink3times wrote on 2/16/2008, 1:13 PM

Yes.... and pretty much the entire world is getting the chance to swallow the Financial undoings of the American housing mess. Point being... we ALL make our fair share of mistakes.

The PS3 sale must be limited to the USA. I just took my daughter to ToysRus for some paint.... there were no 20 gig PS3's and no $299 sale price.
Houston Haynes wrote on 2/16/2008, 1:37 PM
Where the *heck* did that bit of diatribe come from? "we ?? Are you serious??

Dude - look - I worked in the mortgage industry on the buy and sell side. I worked in Fannie Mae's Multi-family unit and later spent two-plus years in Countrywide's Artificial Intelligence group. I left there back in January 2007 when I saw the train wreck coming. There were puh-lenty of people that saw this impending debacle - and all of the "money people" were too greedy and stupid to change things when they started trending out into unsupportable territory. They were making some radical changes to underwriting guidelines (even mandates on "safe" loans that Freddie and Fannie were buying in the blind) when the analysts on my side were resisting on the grounds that factors such as property valuation and borrower payment shock analysis wasn't sound. These were people with decades of underwriting and loan packaging experience that were complaining vehemently, all of which was falling on deaf ears on *every* front - lending agents, the trading desk, the investors, and the regulators. Mistakes were made, but it was *way* beyond the realm of "fair share" - by a light year or so.
blink3times wrote on 2/16/2008, 1:47 PM
Mistakes were made, but it was *way* beyond the realm of "fair share" - by a light year or so.

I was being very conservative in my wording.

The point is that it has affected everybody. I'm a Canadian in Canada and I have nothing to do with it.... and my bank has felt it.... just a matter of time before they make me feel it.

Chinese toys... American Housing messes... who's screw up is worse is anybody's guess, but it kind of teaches us to be a wee bit more lenient when some body else screws up.... because your/our screw up could be just around the corner... don't you think?
Dimes wrote on 2/16/2008, 2:38 PM
Blink

On 1/18/2008, in another thread you stated "I see both sides of this coin. I'm an American living in Canada."

Now you state "I'm a Canadian in Canada ...."

Maybe you could explain ?? Dual citizenship ???

Thanks in advance.
Houston Haynes wrote on 2/16/2008, 2:39 PM
Some people see the lessons coming and get out of the way - still others have to get run over by them before they can pick up the hint. That's the way of the world.

I stayed out of the HD war until our upconverting (standard) DVD player kicked the bucket, and after careful consideration bought my PS3 back in December shortly before the HD DVD house of cards fell. Althewhile friends of mine that worked at Technicolor and Universal were waxing rhapsodic on how HD DVD was going to rule the world some day. I let them rattle on and made my own reasonably well-seasoned determination. Fundamentally sound analysis doesn't know or need luck - good, bad or otherwise.

Using the "sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you" excuse is a cop out for the intellectually undisciplined. It's the same mentality that led so much "dumb money" down the primrose path to begin with. It's the same in the entertainment field and fixed income financial markets - the only difference is the product and the number of zeros to the left of the decimal point.
blink3times wrote on 2/16/2008, 3:35 PM
Now you state "I'm a Canadian in Canada ...."

Dual citizenship. Although I was born in the USA (Hanover, New Hampshire), I became a Canadian many years ago. I completely and totally enjoy it here and will proudly be Canadian till I'm dead.... of course that won't be too long from now if some people on this board have their way :)