Comments

apit34356 wrote on 4/3/2010, 9:50 PM
if he owns one of the earlier models, pre-slim, then he has a choice of not updating and keeping the linux option. If he has no interest in linux, then update the system.

But I would suggest that he not update the OS and buy a new slim. The older PS3 will increase in value more because a number of gov. contracts have been awarded using the PS3 cell in computing clusters. Sony has been "pressured" not to sell or market the PS3 as a PC from MS. Intel,Apple, IBM, Toshiba, Acer, HP, etc.... not that Sony cares about most of them but development agreements with IBM and Toshiba does limit PS3 and it's sub-assemblies from being used for super computing projects. IBM has decided 2 yrs ago to fold the cell design and instruction set into the power7+ chip set, so every power7+ does not need an external cell for the supercomputer designs that is being marketed to DARPA, DoD or Energy.

But a power7+ chip is extremely fast and multicore, its also extremely expensive, about +6x the complete cost of the complete PS3. So, one P7+ chip, no memory, no BD, no disk, etc or 6 PS3s........ its easy to see budget minded supercomputing projects choosing the PS3. The PS3 will have a good value.
TheHappyFriar wrote on 4/4/2010, 2:46 AM
if he has linux installed could he even run the update?

It's like a windows XP/Vista/7 update that would remove floppy support or AT keyboard support. 99% of people don't use it.
A. Grandt wrote on 4/4/2010, 4:28 AM
if he has linux installed could he even run the update?

He can, he just can't access the Linux installation again. The disk space it occupied, and the data on it will be lost, until the HDD is reformatted.

It's like a windows XP/Vista/7 update that would remove floppy support or AT keyboard support. 99% of people don't use it.

True, but you'd know that when you buy the XP/Vista/Win7, the difference here is that it's an advertised functionality that is being removed. For no good reason either.
Imagine Sony removed the ProTypeTitler, or the ability to import DV files in the 9.0d update, and forced you to take the 9.0d update, or else you won't be able to render anything above 640x400 on your current installation. That is essentially the situation on the PS3 for those that are not accepting the 3.21 update.
TheHappyFriar wrote on 4/4/2010, 6:48 AM
Sony advertised Linux support on the PS3? I never say that in a commercial or on gamestop.com. :? If they did then an explanation should be given.
busterkeaton wrote on 4/4/2010, 9:01 AM
Bluray movies, Netflix and games will all be available if he runs the update.

Also the PS3 has wifi. Get a tiny pc, like a Dell Zino or a Acer Revo with Windows 7 and you can stream wirelessly to the Playstation
A. Grandt wrote on 4/4/2010, 11:10 AM
Sony advertised Linux support on the PS3?

I seem to recall Sony stating this, maybe not in an advert, but I distinctly remember that it was mentioned, by Sony.
apit34356 wrote on 4/9/2010, 9:40 AM
Here's a rebate data posted on Tom's Hardware site:

----------------------------------REBATE DATA-------------------------------------------------------

The response iapetus got from Amazon is pasted below:

"We are writing to confirm that we have processed your refund in the amount of £84.00 for your Order 666-5327564-4432412.

This refund is for the following item(s):

Item: Sony PlayStation 3 Console (60GB Premium Version)
Quantity: 1
ASIN: B0007SV734
Reason for refund: Account adjustment

The following is the breakdown of your refund for this item:

Item Refund: £71.49
Item Tax Refund: £12.51"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here's the entire article;
or link(for Jay):http://www.tomshardware.com/news/PS3-playstation-Linux-Rebate-Amazon,10140.html

-------------------------------------------ARTICLE-------------------------------------------------------

PS3 Owner Gets $100 Rebate for Losing Linux
10:51 AM - April 9, 2010 by Jane McEntegart - source: Tom's Hardware US

A European PS3 owner has claimed a partial refund because of Sony's decision to axe Linux support.

When we reported that Sony
would be ditching OtherOS support, killing off the ability to run Linux on your console, a lot of you suggested that this couldn't be legal. What about people who purchased the PS3 with this feature in mind? Wouldn't taking it away mean the console no longer performed as advertised?

Well, that's what one European user said when he complained to Amazon. PlayStation University reports that NeoGAF forum moderator "iapetus" received over $100 in credit from Amazon for his original purchase of his PlayStation 3. Iapetus filed a complaint with the etailer on the grounds that removing Linux support violates European Union consumer laws. Amended in 2002 to affect all EU member states, the law states that all goods "must be fit for the purpose which the consumer requires them and which was made known to the seller at the time of purchase."

The response iapetus got from Amazon is pasted below:

"We are writing to confirm that we have processed your refund in the amount of £84.00 for your Order 666-5327564-4432412.

This refund is for the following item(s):

Item: Sony PlayStation 3 Console (60GB Premium Version)
Quantity: 1
ASIN: B0007SV734
Reason for refund: Account adjustment

The following is the breakdown of your refund for this item:

Item Refund: £71.49
Item Tax Refund: £12.51"

PlayStation University reports that because Sony made it known at the time of purchase that you would be able to install an ‘Other OS’ the owner was able to raise this issue with Amazon. Amazon's policy was to offer a partial refund whether the consumer had used that feature or not.

It's not yet clear if Amazon has awarded other PS3 owners similar rebates, or even if anyone else has tried to get a refund.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A. Grandt wrote on 4/9/2010, 11:16 AM
It's not yet clear if Amazon has awarded other PS3 owners similar rebates, or even if anyone else has tried to get a refund.

Oh, I'll bet you that they will now that this detail is out.

Me, I've written a calm letter to the PS support where I mention this, and that it might be an idea to consider returning the Other OS feature to the users, and at least downgrade 3.21 to optional till they've made a decision, so people who haven't applied 3.21 yet can access PSN again without having to rely on Proxy or DNS tricks.

If they refuse, then I think SCS should be happy to know they belong to a different department, and should be outside blasting range of the proverbial detonation :)
There are a lot of PS3 owners in the EU, end now that the flood gates have been pried open, I'm afraid that even the ones who don't care about OtherOS will make inquiries.
apit34356 wrote on 4/9/2010, 6:40 PM
Sony probably will refund or give a Sony credit for their products. I thought $100 was high because of users who just use their systems for BD movies or gaming. If you use the PS3 for research, $100 means nothing and one would be foolish to update/upgrade the OS, (because its not being use for serious gaming anyway).
A. Grandt wrote on 4/10/2010, 6:38 AM
I would dearly like to know what prompted Amazon to settle on 20% of the purchase price.
apit34356 wrote on 4/10/2010, 9:59 AM
Guessing here but maybe there's an early Amazon ad promotion with the PS3 and Red Dog Linux as a package.or with Linux as an option. So, avoiding a class action resettlement ( very costly) by using a rebate, which history has shown is rarely used and will be a fraction of cost compared to a class action settlement.

Or Amazon is trying to one-up other retailers with a "we are a better store" with this rebate..... which would be smart! Plus puts pressure on BestBuy and Walmart on future big display and games sales.