OT: Replace cord on Sony MDR-7506 cans?

nolonemo wrote on 10/14/2008, 6:55 AM
I hate the coiled cord on these things. Is it easy to open up the earpiece to replace it with a straight cord? Is the attachment soldered or mechanical? Anyone know of a source for a straight cord terminating in a 1/8" stereo mini-plug? - I'd like to get something premade rather than make up my own.

If this is the case where the solution has to be cutting the cord and attaching a straight cord externally, what type or wire does the cord have - is it "ordinary" wire (twisted bare copper), or is it that wierd wire with the laquered strands that's really hard to solder?

Thanks.

Comments

baysidebas wrote on 10/14/2008, 9:56 AM
While I can't address the specific set of "cans," I can relay some general points based on some 45+ years worth of experience with the beasts.

Generally, once you remove the ear pads, you'll find that the drivers and supporting baffles are held in place by two or more screws. Remove these and the assembly should slip out easily. You'll also find that the wiring is soldered in place. These are usually delicate connections and require low wattage irons and careful handling. Yes, chances are that the original wiring is of the flexible nature you describe that is almost impossible to solder, but you're removing that wire. If the replacement is of more conventional construction you should have no problems in soldering.

A good source for supplies is markertek.com

The usual disclaimers apply.
farss wrote on 10/14/2008, 1:07 PM
The cord on those is close to impossible to replace or repair. That coiled cord has tinsel wire inside it. It's very fine lacquered wire bundled with strands of cotton. Good luck trying to solder it. Most of the Sennheiser cans have leads with plugs on both ends making them a simple task to repair. Even my $50 Shanghai specials have leads with plugs on both ends and they come with a choice of straight or coil cords.

Bob.
nolonemo wrote on 10/14/2008, 1:11 PM
Thanks, Bob, that's what I was afraid of. I have been able to solder connections with that kind of wire in the past, but I wouldn't risk a non-broken item . . . .
rs170a wrote on 10/14/2008, 2:47 PM
Try some fine-grade (200 or so) sandpaper to take off the lacquer coating.

edit: I know you said you want to get rid of the coiled cable but Trew Audio has a replacement cable for $14.95 that comes with the Sony 1/8" stereo mini plug.
Other MDR-7506 replacement parts are available from these folks as well.

Mike