Comments

RalphM wrote on 2/27/2010, 6:05 AM
Note to dancers: looking at your feet is a sure path to problems. In this case, there's also the question of who is supposed to lead...
musicvid10 wrote on 2/27/2010, 8:44 AM
Some people just shouldn't dance in public.

I generally wrap crime-scene tape around the legs of my tripod, but I guess it wouldn't have helped in this case . . .
UlfLaursen wrote on 2/27/2010, 10:25 PM
I usually go together with my wife to things like that, and if I bring 2 cams, she stays with one of them at most times. I am so paranoid that something like this would happen.

2 years ago I did a shooting of an "Elvis" concert with 2 cams. People were dancing and drinking all over the place, and I was a bid nervous... The good thing was that the camera my wife supervised was on a platform infront of the audiomixer, so if would not come in contach directly with people, but when the concert was over, some paople spilled bear and a drink on the floor and just grabbed my 2 pelicases to prevent them from being soaked in bear and sticky sugar stuff from drinks.
It can be a real nightmare when people drink and dance near your stuff.

/Ulf
ushere wrote on 2/27/2010, 11:06 PM
many, many years ago i had a gig recording bands at a venue where, thankfully, i was under reasonable lighting, in a corner.

i bought a couple of plastic 'technicolour yawns' from a joke shop and placed them just in front of my forward tripod leg.

when anyone got too close a quick nod to them had them moving away at a fair pace.

worked for weeks.

leslie
PeterWright wrote on 2/27/2010, 11:29 PM
Great tip Leslie!

... and Randy, as one of the dancers graciously said, "Good catch!"
plasmavideo wrote on 2/28/2010, 6:56 AM
Having done lots of live remote broadcasts, I've always been baffled by the number of people who will:

A. Walk up to the "crime scene" tape or a roped off area and pull it down and proceed to walk on.

B. Walk up to a cable bundle on the ground, look right down at it and proceed to TRIP over it.

C. Walk up to a cameraman with a channel 11 logo prominently displayed on his/her jacket and cap and side of camera and ask "Are you from the newspaper - I see you have your camera" (or from the Weather Channel, CNN, or the FBI)

D. Pound on the side of the live truck mini-van and ask to use the john.

I also do a lot of recording of kids choirs and productions, and the little ones always manage to run into things.

This past week I was taping a cub scout ceremony for a relative, and one of the kids ran up laughing behind me as I was setting up the tripod, and bowled into my backside and knocked me into the tripod. The camera almost hit the ground. The kid was laughing about it. What amazed me was the evil look the parent gave ME, as if I was interfering with their precious darling's right to mayhem and progress across the floor, and they didn't say anything to the kid.

Thanks for the video, Randy!
A. Grandt wrote on 2/28/2010, 7:32 AM
Thanks for the video. Did they even apologize?

plasmavideo said:

E. Walk up to you while you are (obviously) filming, asking loudly in a curious tone, "What are you doing/filming?"

I'm an amateur at best, and I've had that happen far too often, all you can do is look at the offender telling them, "I'm filming." and demonstrably start from the beginning of the pan or what ever you were filming, only to have them ask more questions in the middle of the take.

F. "Just happen" to stroll into the frame during a take.
(I'm sure we have all seen this one on the news more often than we can count)
randy-stewart wrote on 2/28/2010, 8:15 AM
Plasmavideo, AGrandt, et. Al.,
You're welcome and no, I don't remember any appologies. Was too busy being relieved...and then a bit...shall we say "frustrated". I felt like packing up the cam and would have if it wasn't a charity event and favor for a friend. Afterwards, I made a promise to myself to never put my equipment into that situation again. Could have been a lot harder lesson to have learned. So, now, I'm feeling grateful that it wasn't. Hope others can benefit also. Thanks for everyone sharing their experiences as I'm enjoying hearing about them also.
Randy
DavidMcKnight wrote on 2/28/2010, 8:26 AM
"Some people just shouldn't dance in public.
I generally wrap crime-scene tape around the legs of my tripod, but I guess it wouldn't have helped in this case . . ."

Yeah, well...I generally wrap crime-scene tape around MY legs if I'm ever tempted to dance...
vicmilt wrote on 2/28/2010, 2:10 PM
Duhh... what are "plastic 'technicolour yawns' from a joke shop"??

What I do on location is use a couple of laminated signs that say, "DANGER - High Voltage Electricity" -
I will hang them on the camera and also leave them on top of gear and cases.
Cover the gear with a tarp and tape the signs on.

It's the same concept of - if you're getting mugged - don't yell "HELP".
No one will move to your assistance or even pay any attention.
Yell "FIRE" - everyone will be there in a second.

v
John_Cline wrote on 2/28/2010, 2:14 PM
"D. Pound on the side of the live truck mini-van and ask to use the

The what? I beg your pardon!
ushere wrote on 2/28/2010, 2:28 PM
hi vic,

"technicolour yawn" is a colloquial expression for puke, spew, vomit, what have you....

worked perfectly for the week i was filming.....
vicmilt wrote on 2/28/2010, 2:38 PM
Ahhh.... good 'ol puke.

Having NOTHING to do with this thread... but I well remember the gales of laughter I got from my (then) ten year old son when we would throw a plastic dog poop on the luggage carousel after a long and boring trip.

Very funny for those of you with little boys and a sick sense of humor!

It's fifteen years later and we still get a good chuckle from those times...
ushere wrote on 2/28/2010, 4:02 PM
and let us not forget the 'whoopee' cushion!