Comments

farss wrote on 5/25/2010, 10:37 PM
I just finished watching that after the link was posted in a local forum.

That little guy is getting much smarter, there's a link on the Youtube channel to his previous best effort. It's also worth a watch to see how much he's improved.

Between that and the recent announcement of the creation of life by humans it's quite a challenging time we're living in.

Bob.
Grazie wrote on 5/25/2010, 10:52 PM
> . . . it's quite a challenging time we're living in

The latest version of understatement?

Grazie

farss wrote on 5/25/2010, 11:00 PM
"The latest version of understatement?"

Yes, but I've lost count of the version number.

Bob.

Grazie wrote on 5/25/2010, 11:30 PM
Lol!

When I heard about the synthetic production of a sustaining and sustainable DNA generated "form", put a veritable quiver up my multi-millenium, carefully crafted, Darwin-Tested mammalian vertebrae - truly scary indeed.

I love and am honestly in awe at this science, and really convinced that these developments are astounding, but what I also want is our scientists and politicians and financial investors place more of their own awareness's prior to this Genie spreading throughout our societies. Or is it, even now, too late?

Grazie

farss wrote on 5/26/2010, 12:41 AM
" Or is it, even now, too late?"

I'll answer your question (sadly) with another question.
When has mankind ever put a genie back in the bottle?

In my view your concerns are justified in many ways. Not least in the ethical questions that will have to be answered. We may still be a long way off from having self replicating biological computers but it's now only a long way off.

Bob.
AlanC wrote on 5/26/2010, 12:54 AM

WOW, that thing is steadier on it's feet than I am :-(
ushere wrote on 5/26/2010, 12:59 AM
may we / you live in interesting times....

i'm even more of a pessimist that bob - we've come a very long way in a very short time, and we've done it very, very fast, and we don't seem to be slowing down very much as we come to the crest, not knowing if there's even a road on the other side of it.....
Serena wrote on 5/26/2010, 1:59 AM
Crest? What crest? We're just moving up the lower slopes. Of course one might debate whether new life has been created, since they have actually only modified an existing form (substantial mod, I agree). Yet to get life to begin from a soup of chemicals.
ushere wrote on 5/26/2010, 2:05 AM
well, for one thing, i'm hoping that there's a TOTALLY bug free version of vegas on the other side ;-)
Rory Cooper wrote on 5/26/2010, 2:56 AM

ok now where’s that robot cat
gpsmikey wrote on 5/26/2010, 7:43 AM
The dog already ate it :-)

Pretty cool !!

mikey
ChrisMN wrote on 5/26/2010, 2:36 PM
So I wonder at what time in the development stage will the robot dog work out that it can walk around an obstacle? Maybe the "lazy" logic is yet to be programmed.
jabloomf1230 wrote on 5/26/2010, 3:44 PM
Time speeds up as you get older. At age one year, a day represents 1/365th of your life. At age 50, it represents 1/18,250th of your life. At age 80, 1/29,200th.
MTuggy wrote on 5/27/2010, 10:05 PM
What is even better is that our brains have been doing this for a very, very long time. Makes it seem that the programming for this robot is really discovery of how our minds "do the math" intuitively. It was almost like watching an infant learning to crawl or walk, but with an amazing capacity to learn autonomously in minutes. I for one don't see how that could be just a random event.