OT: Three monitor capable GPU

Barry W. Hull wrote on 4/16/2015, 8:12 AM
I’m interested in a three monitor setup for my NON-VEGAS computer and since there is so much GPU discussion here I hope someone might have some GPU advice.

My editing machine with Vegas works great and handles three monitors, no problems, NVidia Quadro K5000.

I would like to incorporate a third monitor on my non-Vegas computer. I need a good basic three monitor capable GPU card. I’m not interested in spending high dollar, this machine runs Microsoft Office, and other business software, and a third monitor would be nice.

Any suggestions?

I’m running a BlackBox KVM switch that works like a champ that allows me to click back and forth between computers, using single keyboard, mouse, peripherals, and attached monitors. However, my non-Vegas machine has the Quadro 4000, which only operates two monitors, and therefore I want to replace it with a three monitor card.

One more question, when you swap out GPUs, any typical gotchas to look out for? Is it as easy as shutting down the machine, pulling one out and putting another in? I hate to spend two days repairing bugs if not necessary.

Thanks,
Barry Hull

Comments

Rob Franks wrote on 4/16/2015, 9:00 AM
If all you need are 3 monitors then it would be cheaper to simply buy two basic vid cards. A couple of cheap nvidia cards maybe
TheHappyFriar wrote on 4/16/2015, 9:07 AM
I have an AMD HD 7850. Supports up to 6 at once. I currently have three.

Two DVI & one using an ACTIVE display port adapter.
OldSmoke wrote on 4/16/2015, 9:23 AM
One more question, when you swap out GPUs, any typical gotchas to look out for?

If you don't change GPU manufacturer then there are no real gotcha. If you are switching from Nvidia Quadro to desktop cards, it might be best to uninstall the Quadro drivers first.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

dxdy wrote on 4/16/2015, 2:15 PM
@Barry:

I have read that you should turn off GPU support in Vegas before you remove and replace the GPU card. This might be most important if changing vendors.
TheHappyFriar wrote on 4/17/2015, 5:39 AM
When I change GPU's I normally reinstall the OS. There's a lot of things tied to the GPU I found it easier years ago to just reinstall.
Chienworks wrote on 4/17/2015, 7:57 AM
Just to point out, but the GPU doesn't support monitors, and monitors don't need a GPU. These are completely separate items. You want a video card with multiple outputs, but you don't give any reason for a GPU.

Do you need a GPU? If not, you could pick up a couple dual-head video cards for about $10 each and then you'd be ready for four monitors, with pretty much guaranteed zero problems whatsoever.
OldSmoke wrote on 4/17/2015, 8:57 AM
[I]Just to point out, but the GPU doesn't support monitors, and monitors don't need a GPU.[/I]

I thought every video card has a GPU on it in one form or another? I am willing to learn.

System Spec.:

Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

Chienworks wrote on 4/17/2015, 9:18 AM
All graphics cards have enough circuitry to map memory data to a video signal. Some are only intelligent enough to do this job while some have enough rudimentary processing to copy, move, and affect rectangular areas on the screen. These would not be considered GPUs and these days usually cost under $25.

Other cards have a processor on them that can perform arbitrary programmable calculations and functions, basically a complete computer on-board. These can run programs such as calculating vectors, shading, 3D space rendering, animation, etc. These would be considered GPUs (the processor chip, not the whole video card) and often costs hundreds to thousands.
OldSmoke wrote on 4/17/2015, 9:46 AM
Can you show us a link to a video card that has dual head DVI, supports 1920x1080, 32bit color and does not have a GPU on it and is supported under Win XP and upwards?

Here is something to read.

System Spec.:

Barry W. Hull wrote on 4/17/2015, 12:20 PM
Thanks all, good advice.

Chienworks, I may have used the term GPU incorrectly. I meant the "thing" (maybe card, maybe GPU) that I plug into the back of my computer that I plug my monitors into.

What I want is to be able to run three monitors with the least amount of headaches. I'm glad to spend a few hundred bucks, maybe even up $1,000 but don't want, or need, something very high priced.

I also think I'll stick with Nvidia just to avoid any additional issues with changing manufacturers. There are LOTS to choose from... that in itself is a headache.

TheHappyFriar wrote on 4/17/2015, 1:02 PM
The card I recommended you should be able to get on EBay for under $100 and runs your cards. I use it currently.

I thought Windows Vista & Newer wanted a card with DX 10/11 capabilities (or preferred anyway). As far as I know that's not the kind he's referring to (I remember when 3DFX was the gaming card & Nvidia, ATI, Trident, etc. all made cards w/o 3D accel, those are what he seems to be referring to).

I reinstall my OS even when I install cards from the same manufacture/chipset maker. The only time I didn't was back in the DOS days. From 95 on I found it easier to reinstall the OS.
OldSmoke wrote on 4/17/2015, 1:41 PM
If you don't mind buying from eBay there are plenty of cards out there. I believe the GTX670 was one the first Nvidia cards that supported 3 monitors. Also keep in mind that such a card will require a good power supply unit.

System Spec.:

Steve Mann wrote on 4/20/2015, 1:52 PM
The gotchas are - DO NOT MIX manufacturer cards. If you are going to run multiple GPU cards, they should all be from the same manufacturer, or better, identical cards. This eliminates any driver conflict issues.

Note the specs - when you use a multi-head card for multiple monitors, you will likely be sharing the card bandwidth. A card that advertises 4K resolution may not be able to deliver 4K when it's supporting more than one monitor.

HDMI to DVI works fine for text-based displays - video sucks.
astar wrote on 4/21/2015, 3:42 PM
Pretty much all GPUs in the last 5 years will support 3 monitors. You may just have to resolve the adapter issues for the extra ports. I run 3 monitors off a card that has 2 DVI, and one Display Port (with DP to HDMI) adapter.
Barry W. Hull wrote on 4/23/2015, 6:24 PM
Went with the GeForce 980. Popped out the old card, put in the new one. Did a clean install of the driver that deleted the current Quadro driver, voila, three monitors working AOK, seamless.

For a brief moment I felt like one of those Mac snobs.