OT: Thrift Store amazing finds

musicvid10 wrote on 3/21/2013, 11:36 PM
I spend 1-2 mornings a week searching thrift stores and flea markets for goodies, mostly small antiques, but occasionally something techy.

Yesterday I picked up an Epson 4490, not the most expensive scanner but a good one, for $15.

Earlier, I found a $300 Fluke meter for $6 (including the cost of a new battery).

Not techy, but I bought a WWII snare drum for $4 at a yard sale that fetched $390 on eBay.

Surely there are other savvy scavengers out there. Would like to hear of your successes too!

Comments

farss wrote on 3/22/2013, 3:03 AM
Not much of a thrift store person myself.
I did just by chance find this story that might interest you.

Bob.

musicvid10 wrote on 3/22/2013, 8:45 AM
Oh god, Bob, I just sold one of those for $5 at the flea market. J
[r]Evolution wrote on 3/22/2013, 3:42 PM
- I was given an old Carbon Fiber Sachtler Tripod & Fluid Head at an office I edited for a few years ago and it sold on eBay for $1200... which I later found out was probably worth at least double that. My camera's are too small and weigh too little for the Big Head to be effective.

- A buddy of mine just bought an O'Connor Tripod & Head at an indoor flea market for $15. We've done some research and it appears to be worth close to $5,000.

Good finds are few and far between for me at flea markets and bargain basements, but just looking through old stuff and hearing 'stories' of yesteryear is really fun for me.
ushere wrote on 3/23/2013, 1:56 AM
found my first wife in a thrift store.

wouldn't take her back though ;-(
FilmingPhotoGuy wrote on 3/23/2013, 2:38 AM
I went into the thrift store and asked them for a radio for my wife and they said sorry sir this is not a swop shop.

Craig
John_Cline wrote on 3/23/2013, 6:36 AM
I've found some real techie gems at thrift stores over the years. Typically, they have no idea what these things are or how to price them.
Gary James wrote on 3/23/2013, 11:29 AM
There are potential problem you should be aware of if you're buying used computer accessories. Many old peripherals can no longer be used because of the lack of up to date device drivers from the manufacturer.

When I bought my last PC it was an upgrade from Windows XP to Windows Vista (I've since upgraded the OS to Win 7 Pro). I was surprised to find out that HP no longer provided device driver updates to the Inkjet photo printer I owned at the time; even though the printer was less than 5 years old. Same thing with a Hires photographic Slide scanner I had been using in my old PC.

The old saying "Let the buyer beware" certainly applies to used computer accessories.
musicvid10 wrote on 3/23/2013, 12:36 PM
Yes, we're at the mercy of planned obsolescence, that's why a lot of stuff gets donated to thrift stores and schools. But I always check system requirements and reviews, and test the item in the store because electronics can't be returned.

I also keep a couple of obsolete computers around for running my obsolete hardware.
;?)
ushere wrote on 3/23/2013, 6:22 PM
i'm the exact opposite of musicvid;

i keep a couple of cutting edge computers around for an obsolete operator ;p)
PeterWright wrote on 3/23/2013, 7:22 PM
I went to a flea market and bought a flea, but I'm not sure where it is now - I'll have to start from scratch.
FilmingPhotoGuy wrote on 3/24/2013, 7:28 AM
Last year there was a thread here, "Bring out your dead" I really enjoyed reminiscing about the old tech stuff.
musicvid10 wrote on 3/24/2013, 9:38 AM
Old SVHS editing consoles tend to show up from time to time.
Larry Clifford wrote on 3/24/2013, 3:24 PM
From ushure:
found my first wife in a thrift store.
wouldn't take her back though ;-(

That can be taken two ways: 1) You tried to return her to the store and they wouldn't take her back; 2) You wouldn't take her back to the store because she is worth $1 million.

I hope it is the second one.
ushere wrote on 3/24/2013, 5:59 PM
@larry - the clue should have been in 'my first wife' ;-)
Dan Sherman wrote on 3/25/2013, 4:02 PM
Took my dog to a flea market.
No takers.
Now he has fleas.
dxdy wrote on 3/25/2013, 4:55 PM
Does your dog have fleas?

No.

How come my dog got fleas from your dog.

That's not my dog.

(With thanks to Peter Sellers)
Ryadia wrote on 3/30/2013, 7:55 PM
My Grand daughter (too young to drive) asked me if I'd pick up some 'stuff' she'd bought at a garage sale. I humorously asked: how big is the garage? Oh, she replied... It will probably fit on Uncle George's truck I think.

Ha, ha. I always did like her sense of humor so I backed out the 18 wheeler and off we went. I'm glad now my brother had left the crane on it from the last delivery... She really had bought the garage! nine meters square. It took all day to dismantle it.

As we drove out of the sale yard I casually asked where she was going to put it, knowing there wasn't enough room in her father's yard. Oh, don't worry Pop... We'll deliver it on the way home. This smart girl is way too smart for me. She paid $100 for it. Sold it to a neighbour for $750 and it cost me $45 in fuel to transport it.

I hope she remembers me in my old age!