OT Updates.

DiDequ wrote on 10/7/2014, 4:44 AM
This topic is about several updates.

1) I updated recently Vegas pro 12 to Vegas pro 13.
The new version does not solve the 3D screen mode preset problem: as soon as I open a 3D Project, Vegas switches my 3D vision (Nvidia) kit on (bright green led on the usb device) and the screen switches to 3D mode ( it increases luminance and contrast to compensate grey 3D glasses)
Of course, I do not wear 3D glasses to adjust my timeline clips, so, my solution is :
I open Stereo photo Maker with an mpo (3D) picture, press F8 to switch the mpo in 3D vision, press Esc to switch to 2D vision -> my screen comes back to the "cinema" screen preset, using my 2 icc screen profiles.
I can work with Vegas this way. I did write to Sony Scs some months ago about this problem.

2 Stereo Photo Maker. a great update - 5.06 - here,
http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/
dated september the 30th.
Why great ? see the link !

3 Blender 2.72 is realeased. For those using it, this new version has some very interresting new features.
I use it in place of Titler pro. Of course, there's no presets like those available with Titler pro, but there's one main advantage : Blender computes the video (or the still title picture) using 100% of all your threads (cores) and when you render your project with Vegas, it's much faster, because the titling job is already done.
If someone has made a "Blender plugin" for Vegas ...

4 Windows updates. Because of it, your Windows folder is probably huge.
Check the size of your Windows directory of the C drive.
Simply press the Windows keyboard button, write cleanmgr.exe, run it, check the boxes concerning service pack and updates. After the cleaning process, reboot (it can really take SEVERAL minutes.)
Check again the size of your Windows directory of the C drive. Difference can be huge too.
Even if your hard drive partition is big enough, it's worth doing this because making a backup of your system will now be much faster !
Restoring Windows will also be much faster.

Kind regards.

Comments

VMP wrote on 10/7/2014, 7:00 AM
Thanks for the cleanmgr.exe tip, DiDequ.

It removed 20 gig temp files from the C drive.

I remember that I used to clean the 'prefetch' and 'temp' folder when using XP.
But in Windows 7 that's changed.

VMP
johnmeyer wrote on 10/7/2014, 10:26 AM
I am not a fan of cleanmgr.exe. These are the things it deletes or modifies:

Temporary Setup Files
Downloaded Program File
Temporary Internet Files
Temporary Offline Files
Old Chkdsk Files
Recycle Bin
Temporary Files
Offline Files
Compress Old Files
Catalog Files for the Content Indexer

Two problems:

1. It doesn't touch the REALLY big folders, like the ones that have all the backups which are automatically created when you update Windows. While I never do any updates, most people let the computer automatically update itself, and Windows keeps all of the original files so you can undo an update. After a months has gone by after an update, I don't know anyone who has ever rolled back an update. These files take up gigabytes, not megabytes of spece.

2. It turns on file compression. This is a really bad idea for a video editing computer. You don't want the CPU having to do compression/uncompression every time bits are written or read from your drives and, of course, video doesn't compress (losslessly).

3. It only deals with Microsoft files. If you read the list above, several items have to do with deleting temporary Internet files. If you use Chrome, Firefox, etc., this cleaning program will not touch those browser's temporary files.
VMP wrote on 10/7/2014, 1:14 PM
johnmeyer,

Which alternative way do you suggest to delete those other giant files?
Do you know the dir paths of those files? Then maybe it could be deleted manually.

VMP
DiDequ wrote on 10/7/2014, 2:04 PM
John, for those items,

Temporary Setup Files
Downloaded Program File
Temporary Internet Files
Temporary Offline Files
Old Chkdsk Files
Recycle Bin
Temporary Files
Offline Files
Compress Old Files
Catalog Files for the Content Indexer

just uncheck the checkboxes

Of course it does clean the windows update folder that is so big if you never cleaned it.

This is why I mention this software.

If you cannot see this option, run the program as administrator !
And reboot after completion of the process- again, the reboot will take several minutes, and it will display something like "Cleaning Windows system files"

And of course, do not turn compression on !

Now, if you want to clean Chrome or Firefox cache, use Ccleaner or something equivalent.
johnmeyer wrote on 10/7/2014, 2:09 PM
I don't have an alternative software program to suggest because I just go to the folders and delete the files myself.

There are several folders under the main Windows folder that can be deleted, such as the $NtUninstallKB folders that contain various updates. However, I hesitate to give any recommendations or more detailed instructions on all the other folders which can be deleted
because if you don't know what you are doing, you can screw things up. For instance, while it is OK to delete the $NtUninstallKB folders (you have to change Windows to show hidden and system files in order to see these folders), you most definitely do NOT want to delete the $hf_mig$ folder, even though it is tempting to do so. There are several other folders where downloaded files are stored, and these can be a gigabyte or more. When I do this for clients, I can generally get rid of 2-5 gigabytes of useless software. On large hard drives, this isn't a huge deal, and therefore probably not worth doing, but on laptops the drives are not as large, so it can be an issue. Also, if you partition your hard drive, so the C: drive contains only programs and Windows (which is what I do), it becomes a very big deal to delete these files. Finally, if you use an SSD drive for your C: drive, those tend to be smaller, and so housecleaning may become a bigger priority, although SSD drives keep getting larger.