OT: Vegas Video Forum User name change

Lili wrote on 2/17/2005, 1:56 PM
Hi there Vegas family,

I've just changed my user name ---- call me 'oops', the editor formerly known as "hapning".

Haven't liked old name since the day registered with the forum , but don't ask why- (????? - just one of those mystery things). On the other hand, since I've been 'oopsing' my way through almost every Vegas editing session, the new name is definately "me".

At times I wonder about the origins of some rather unusual user names in this forum, so if anyone would like to share, it would be interesting.
lili

Comments

Jimmy_W wrote on 2/17/2005, 2:03 PM
Jimmy Williams, Just kept it simple.
Besides, easy for me to remember.
RichMacDonald wrote on 2/17/2005, 2:08 PM
Not to be a curmudgeon, but as another curmudgeon once told me when I was just dabbing my toes into the internet: "How can you expect us to treat you professionally if you won't give us your real name :-?" After I got done feeling small I decided he was right. A little bit of "there's a real human being behind that keyboard" goes a long way.

Oops is funny, so go for it. But how about signing the bottom of your posts with "Dan" or "Bob" or whatever. Its a good habit that most of the others do as well.

My handle used to be "dogmat" because thats how "Doctor MacDonald" sounded after a few glasses worth.And "bosco" because that's what my great uncle called me, but Seinfeld ruined that.
PierreB wrote on 2/17/2005, 2:32 PM
There was actually an interesting thread on that a while back...

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?ForumID=4&MessageID=298148

Pierre
Lili wrote on 2/17/2005, 2:45 PM
RichMacDonald,
IPoint taken, but f you look closely, you will see that I sign my post with my name.
lili
B.Verlik wrote on 2/17/2005, 6:50 PM
Just search Google and view any of my 82,000 pages.......wh what? Oh well. I used to play those weekly football pools at a place I worked back in the mid 80's, where you buy a square for a dollar and have a chance to win $100. After a couple of months, I started drawing comics in the squares or just making up joke names. The one week that I finally won, I had called myself "The Great Steve".
Out of superstition, I started using the name every week after that. I never won again, but somehow, the name stuck. (but more like a joke, then as serious name) Then I changed it to Gr8 long before combining words and numbers became the thing to do. I'm sure I now give everyone the impression that I have a big ego. Well, I do. But not as bad as you may assume. It's more tongue-in-cheek than real. (BTW, the original idea came from another friend, his name was Juan, and he jokingly referred to himself as "The Great Juan". A takeoff of Jackie Gleasons, "The Great One".)
nickle wrote on 2/17/2005, 6:55 PM
My name is very complicated.

My real name is Nicholas therefore my nick name is nick. But I also have the nickname nickle which also fits because my middle initial is "L".

So nickname nick nickname nickle nickknack paddywack.

Although some people think it means my Net Worth.
RichMacDonald wrote on 2/18/2005, 6:40 AM
>Point taken, but f you look closely, you will see that I sign my post with my name.
> lili

Oops. My bad. Curmudgeon didn't read carefully.
lili is a great name. Can't imagine why you wouldn't use it.
But I guess it does tend to hide directly under one's nose, doesn't it :-?
Lili wrote on 2/18/2005, 9:12 AM
Strange, but I never considered TheGr8Steve ego related. That's quite a story behind the name - a Gr8te one in fact!

Nickel, - good one!.

Thanks for sharing.

lili

thirdnostril wrote on 2/18/2005, 10:10 AM
My third nostril is what lets me 'whiff-read' the 'psychic pstench' of others, even over the Internet. I had mine opened the 'traditional' way, with surgery after much esoteric training and contemplation of JHVH-1, the great robot monster in the sky. It was performed at the Dobbstown complex in Malaysia, by Doktors of Forbidden Science, while the Great Pope of Hell, St. Huey, serenaded away my 'old' life and heralded my reunion with my suppressed Yeti DNA.

While a third eye is extremely useful for divining the spiritual health of others, a third nostril lets you take in the FINANCIAL health of the subject, thereby telling you exactly how much money you can get out of the rube...er, subject.

Great subject for a post, BTW.

PRAISE "BOB", y'all
B.Verlik wrote on 2/18/2005, 12:52 PM
(Psssst. You better stay away from any white, powdery, substances.) ;-)
MyST wrote on 2/18/2005, 7:00 PM
Whaaa???

Dobbstown complex in Malaysia?? Was that april of 1986 BTW?
Holy sh*t! I was in the bed next to yours! I got the same surgery!

Small world...

Mario