OT: venice acqua alta video shot with the ex1

dreamlx wrote on 12/4/2009, 11:27 PM
Hi,

My wife and me are fascinated by Venice. Last Monday we have been there. There has been acqua alta (floods with water about 60cm on some places). I quickly assembled a video for youtube to show to some friends, so it is not a perfect one, but I posted it here for the case someone likes to see something shot with an ex1. Due to the environment conditions and missing time, everything except white balance was left on auto and shot handheld. The person you see with the pram is my wife, the one with the dog is me.

Comments

PeterWright wrote on 12/5/2009, 2:31 AM
Very nicely put together dreamix,

And it's a good demonstration of the EX1's ability to capture subtle tones and colours.

What render template/settings did you use for YouTube?

.. and did you use a Picture Profile?
BobMoyer wrote on 12/5/2009, 7:07 AM
My wife and I share your fascination with Venice, but, alas, we shall never get there. Thank you very much for those great shots.

Bob
dreamlx wrote on 12/5/2009, 7:45 AM
Thanks for your comments.

Peterwright:
I used the Sony AVC HD Internet preset. As picture profile I used the one from this page: http://marvelsfilm.wordpress.com/2009/02/18/marvels-ex1-and-ex3-profile-settings-for-filmic-look/

Bobmoyer:
If you are interested, our DVD production "Venice - another world on our planet" is available on http://www.another-world-on-our-planet.org. In one or two weeks, an updated version of the DVD will be available.

Rory Cooper wrote on 12/7/2009, 3:32 AM
Thanks for sharing that clip

I really appreciate it so that we can see firsthand the pro,s and cons of the better cams
You had some low light shots as well very nice

I hope more folks share shots from different cams

at 21;19 I see that area is very flooded , I have seen that area in footage where it is dry. Is the sinking getting worse over the years?

Rory
dreamlx wrote on 12/7/2009, 2:42 PM
Acqua Alta is mainly due to seasonal winds, named the scirocco.
In long term, there is also the combination of sinking soil level and rise of sea levels. If you want to say so, Venice is burrying itself more and more into the sands on which it is built. If I remember right, Venice is sinking about 10 centimenters in 100 years or something like that.

Piazza San Marco generally is covered by a bit of water beginning at approximately 80cm above sea level. This time they had 135cm above sea level so you can say that Piazza San Marco was covered by approximately 55cm of water. At 135cm approximately 70% of Venice is covered by water. Venice knew its worst Acqua Alta in 1966 with a level of 194cm of high water.

As we are very interested in Venice, we did 1120km by car 2 times within 2 days just to get some acqua alta footage for our documentary as soon as we saw 135cm on the tide forecast with seems to be very precise for 24 hours. For people living in Luxembourg, this is quite a huge trip - people living in the USA may find this a small excursion, as distances in your country are not the same...1120km might sound ridiculous to some of you. :)

We will go back on December, 31th to capture footage from the beginning of the new year.

We are simply fascinated by Venice.