OT:Victor Milt sez wanna see some of my work?

vicmilt wrote on 8/30/2006, 6:13 AM
I finally got to mounting some of my commercials online.

For those of you that are interested, I posted about 20.

Actually these are not necessarily "the best" - they're just what I was able to dig up and get transferred to digitial media.. (I've done hundreds of national TV commercials) - the truth is that most of my work was produced in 35mm film and it was so expensive to transfer them to tape in those days, I just never did - yikes (soft sound of victor crying in background).

Hope you like them, and if you've got any questions, feel free to post them here. While you're on my site, feel free to poke around.

Victor Milt, DGA commercials
http://quitwh.fatcow.com/id43.html

BTW - to those of you who are new to this Vegas Forum - well I shifted to editing ALL my stuff in Vegas five years ago, and have never looked back. If you are sourcing in DV or HDV, Vegas can do everything you need. Jump in without fear.

v

Comments

JJKizak wrote on 8/30/2006, 7:28 AM
Outstanding.
JJK
rique wrote on 8/30/2006, 8:43 AM
Vic, I remember seeing some of your commercials on your Light It Right DVD and I kept saying "Hey I remember that one."

Now I have to ask, on the Kennedy video there is a VO saying it scored lowest CPOs ever in Time/Life history. What does that mean?
apit34356 wrote on 8/30/2006, 8:46 AM
Always a fan of your work, Vic! I noticed that the F-114 title is actually showing a F-15 used in the shoot.
jkrepner wrote on 8/30/2006, 8:55 AM
Great stuff. Things I've haven't seen in years. Everything is technically proficient, clean, simple, well produced, well shot, and edited with nice pacing. God I miss older commercials.

Thanks for sharing. I'd love to have some of those (any of those) under my belt.
AlanC wrote on 8/30/2006, 9:05 AM
Nice work Vic, too bad we didn't get to see any of these aired in the UK.

(I thought Conair was the name of an American airline!)

vicmilt wrote on 8/30/2006, 10:23 AM
Couple o' questions here so...
rique: CPO = Cost Per Order - when you do Direct Response Television advertising (CALL NOW 1-800-123-1234), you can immediately score the effectiveness of the commercial. The more responses (and sales) you get, the lower the CPO, and, thus, the higher the profit. In mag ads in those days, a CPO of $22 to $28 per order was considered good. Don't forget magazines don't make money by subscriptions - they make money by advertisng sales - they can actually Lose money on the subscriptions. Anyway - this Kennedy spot is the single most successful direct response ad ever done by Time/Warner [and it did a hell of a lot of good for my career, as well]

apit - No doubt you are correct - I shot so many different Air Force planes (8 years) that they all sort of ran together for me. I can't even tell you what CITIES I shot in. But no matter which planes II was filming, whether simple take-offs and landings, or air-to-air - they were always thrilling. Life takes on a new meaning at 650 miles per hour. I did most of them, though. And they were talking about sending me up on the Challanger to film the teacher experience. Until that horrible moment, space was looking easier and more pleasant than it turned out to be. I got bumped for a scientist of some sort.

AlanC - the Conair that I worked for is a hair and beauty manufacturer - I always loved to do beauty spots because I've ALWAYS loved to be in the presence of beautiful women. I started my professional career (at 20) shooting fashion for Ingenue, Glamour and Seventeen magazines - you can't imagine how nice it was to be young and straight (No Slight Intended - period!) in the fashion industry. Whoopee. Lawyers date secretaries. Doctors date nurses. Fashion photographers date models. It was great.
Logan5 wrote on 8/30/2006, 10:25 AM
Ah the old Irish Spring ad....time to whip out a poket knife and cut up some soap bars!

On the Air Force Ads - I don't think they let red heads fly fighter jets any more -
only cargo.
I saw how the Air Force recruiter took a long hard look at the red headed kid then smiled “what the hell” ok kid you’re in; one more red head won't hurt.

(I’ve got red headed cousins and I know not to put them into fighter jets.) :|
ken c wrote on 8/30/2006, 11:49 AM
Great work, Vic - thanks for sharing them. I'm studying everything I can about commercial production (including lighting/scripting), and your examples are superb.

They're all very professional, excellent workmanship on each one.

Thanks for sharing them!

-Ken Calhoun
corug7 wrote on 8/30/2006, 5:26 PM
I was born in 1975, so I really did grow up watching your work. Fun stuff! Thanks for bringing back some memories.
apit34356 wrote on 8/30/2006, 6:47 PM
Vic, I think we may have cross paths a couple of times while you'll doing the AirForce spots. At some future NAB, we can discuss how people paths cross.

Vic, on your pictures, did you use a large format camera or did you use professional digital software to correct for lens distortion, color correction/aberration and noise reduction?
tkalvey wrote on 8/30/2006, 6:52 PM
This has probably been stated 100x over, but this is a great example of why I visit this forum so often.....

Legends (vicmilt, DSE, and I am sure I am unaware of the countless others) stop by, share some bit of incredibly useful info that makes us all better.

What a blessing it is to be able learn from "the best". My friends/coworkers probably think I'm a nut when I brag about the Sony Forum that I visit all the time.

THANKS vic, it brought back great memories and showed everyone some solid shooting techniques.
vicmilt wrote on 8/30/2006, 11:03 PM
apit -
hope to meet you and everyone else at NAB '07

re: "large format - corrections,etc."
if you're speaking of the architectual still work on my site, drop me a line at vicmilt@VictorMilt.com and I'll be happy to discuss it all.
Still work is a little "too" far OT for this site.

Thanks all, for the kind words.

For those of you in Wisconsin - my latest film "Cowboys of Florida" was just named a finalist in the "Ole Muddy film festival" in Arcadia, Wisconsin. It'll be screened on September 8th - they want me to go and accept the award - I can't make it - anyone here want to accept on my behalf??

v