Comments

TheHappyFriar wrote on 5/8/2004, 7:12 PM
If you're not playing games, why do you want to upgrade your card? Is there a specific feature you're looking for?
ronaldf wrote on 5/8/2004, 9:30 PM
I would like to have TV out. I haven't kept up on video card technology so I really don't know where I stand with my existing card.
farss wrote on 5/8/2004, 9:52 PM
TV out isn't much use for editing unless you have another need for it.
Much better ti get a firewire to A/V box.
ronaldf wrote on 5/8/2004, 11:39 PM
I have Sony's original DVMC-DA1. I occasionally have need to capture the windows screen and TV out has the best quality of the different options.I am not aware of any way of outputing the windows display via firewire. I built up my existing system over a year ago and it is doing just fine( ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, AMD 2100, 512mg, 60gig system drive, 120 gig data drive, and 120gig video drive). I just thought I would update the video card to get TV out and a little bit newer video technology to boot. I just haven't kept up on video card technology so I thought I would just ask the forum members for input since my main concern is preventing any conflicts with Vegas and gaining some possible benefits with the right combination.
TheHappyFriar wrote on 5/9/2004, 5:13 AM
Well, i'd recomend the ATI 8500. It has 64/128 mb of RAM and is a decent card if you ever wanted to do some OpenGL stuff (Wax, etc). It also has a TV Out.

If you want the "latest" tech cheap, I'd recomend the ATI 9600. It supports the latest versions of DirectX (9) & OpenGL, but it's also more expensive. Also has a TV out.

I can't commend on the NVidia cards. I've only owned a Geforce GTS 2, & it had no video out.
Kauzmic wrote on 6/7/2004, 4:54 PM
Ronaldf:

I'm in the same boat as you.

I'd like a dual monitor card to hopefully smooth out the play back of video on the timeline and give me more real estate. I'm not sure that a 'video out' from a display card will give me a true representation of the final video that will be output through the firewire. When I use my camcorder to check output, the playback either doesn't play, is jerky, or just plain looks like dog du.

An external waveform monitor works pretty good through the camcorder though (the one in Vegas looks like TV static - almost useless)

What did you finally end up doing?
Kauzmic
MyST wrote on 6/7/2004, 5:28 PM
Right now I'm looking at a Gigabyte FX5900XT over at Newegg.com.
It all depends what you want the card for.
Do you think you'll be doing DCC work? I have Cinema 4D for 3D work and that requires a better card. That's why I'm looking at the more upscale cards. I'm also looking at nVidia over ATI based on some recommendations on the Creative Cow forum for Cinema 4D. I guess nVidia is better suited for OpenGL work.
Matrox cards are renowned for stability and they specialize in dual/multi monitor support. No good for gaming, but if you weren't going to play games...
I don't know how good they are for 3D work either.

Mario
JakeHannam wrote on 6/7/2004, 6:02 PM
If you decide to go with an ATI card (they are very good), just be aware that the current driver (version 4.5 and its predecessor 4.4) DISABLES Adobe Gamma which is indispensable when using Adobe Photoshop.

It will not, however, affect your Sony products.

Jake
ronaldf wrote on 6/7/2004, 10:07 PM
I haven't done anything yet. I'm still gathering info.