OT: VO Talent/prices...

kentwolf wrote on 3/13/2006, 10:54 AM
I recently farmed out some voice over work at voice123.com.

I received EXCELLENT results, however, I think the prices may be a little high.

That's where I needed your opinion.

For a 8 to 10 second clip, reading some text, the asking price is $250.00.

It could not have been done better.

The person who did it has a rather impressive resume.

Is this price completely out of line, or is this just the going rate that I need to get used to.

Thanks for your input.

Comments

jkrepner wrote on 3/13/2006, 11:19 AM
I got a two page script read for $150 from someone who also has a great resume from voice123.com and was floored by how easy, fast, efficient, the process was. I couldn't be happier with the results. I guess $250 might be high, but if the budget allows for it and if you liked the results, I wouldn't sweat it. Everyone needs to earn a living. With that said, what type of video was the VO for?

Jeff
Jessariah67 wrote on 3/13/2006, 11:21 AM
This falls into that wide range that depends on market, type of project, how/where it will be viewed. $250 for 8-10 seconds seems rather steep, and there are a TON of chops for hire out there who would do it for much less. Quality does play a part in it, but I would never pay $250 for 8-10 seconds (unless it was a national TV/Radio ad or something of that calibre).
mjroddy wrote on 3/13/2006, 11:34 AM
I have :30 second spots done at both Speedy Spots (speedyspots.com) and Internet Jock (internetjock.com). The voices are fine for cable commercials and I never pay above $50.00 for a :30.
I don't have any need to look elsewhere. The spots from IJ are typically turned around in just a few hours.
kentwolf wrote on 3/13/2006, 12:04 PM
The guy I had has done voices for animation feature length films, video games, etc. My budget certainly can't complete with Sony and Konami, etc.

>...and Internet Jock (internetjock.com). The voices are fine for
>>cable commercials and I never pay above $50.00 for a :30.

I definitely believe I need to bookmark that site. I'll definitely take a look.

By the way: I ended up getting my clip for $100.00 (was $250). While $100.00 is pretty high for 8 seconds, I'm going to take it. It was absolutely perfect. I am definitely going to take a look at internetjock.com. Thanks much for the input!
kentwolf wrote on 3/13/2006, 12:05 PM
>>what type of video was the VO for?

Historical documentary. The reading is the beginning of the U.S. Constitution. As I said...8 seconds. I am doing this work for free. :)
chrisconleyradio wrote on 3/13/2006, 12:32 PM
this guy is pretty good and cheap:

http://www.conleyradio.com/promos.asp

:)

CC
Former user wrote on 3/13/2006, 1:35 PM
As is this guy:

http://www.vocalpoint.ca

:)

Cheers!

VP
Jimmy_W wrote on 3/13/2006, 1:59 PM
Great demos guys.
I need an automotive spot soon.
Jimmy
Cincyfilmgeek wrote on 3/13/2006, 3:08 PM
Yeah, thanks to everyone for these links. These are great and perfect for what I am working on.
VOGuy wrote on 3/13/2006, 3:51 PM
Actually, you can get any kind of talent, for any price you might consider. If you're looking for a $50.00 voiceover, you can always find one that's pretty good.

In response to your question, yeah, $250.00 is a good price -- actually, it's on the low end for professional voice talent. It really depends on what you need for your production.

A "professional" voice talent generally needs to charge a bit more than that to make a living - just because of the realities of the business. However, your requirements may not be so stringent, you and your client may be perfectly happy with someone who charges less.

THIS guy is probably too expensive for you: Travis - www.Announcing.biz
Former user wrote on 3/13/2006, 6:54 PM
Jimmy,

Stay in touch. I get a ton of automotive stuff going thru the studio monthly...
DGates wrote on 3/13/2006, 8:12 PM
It has to be an interesting field to be in. I'm sure most stuff is done at the VO person's home with ProTools, computer and top of the line recording mics.
Former user wrote on 3/14/2006, 4:51 AM
"It has to be an interesting field to be in. I'm sure most stuff is done at the VO person's home with ProTools, computer and top of the line recording mics."

It is one of the BEST fields to be in...and yes - I work at home and yes - I have several beautiful mics but we certainly do not use SloTools.

Vegas works great for all kinds of VO projects in my room...
Bob Greaves wrote on 3/14/2006, 4:51 AM
Over the past decades I've done a number of voice overs. I've almost always done it from home. A few good quality microphones are essential as you mentioned. However Pro Tools is overkill for voice overs and more of an economic statement required by the circles you work in not the quality of work you do.

I started using a pioneer open reel machine and a Radio Shack microphone. Eventually I used a Tascam cassette (four track double speed with dbx) with a Shure 849. Now I use Sonar or Vegas Video usually with a Studio Projects C1 microphone.

What you did not mention is the room. The room you record in makes a huge difference. You do not want the slap back echo of a near or distant wall nor the boxed in sound of a poorly constructed isolation booth. You cannot tolerate the in house sounds of a refrigerator or a furnace, nor the outside sounds of kids in the neighborhood or planes flying overhead. I record in a large 26 x 13 room - carpeted and sound dampened.

One of the reasons a lengthy documentary can cost so much is because it can be difficult to get the voice sounding totally consistent with all the do overs required when external sounds make their way in. Most projects are better if they can be accomplished in one sitting.

In order to not hi jack the thread I should add...

I would have done more had I known what to properly charge. I was too cheap.