Comments

Kit wrote on 1/23/2015, 10:02 PM
I'm not so bothered about the start button because I use keyboard shortcuts to start most applications. But, I wonder about the search in 8.1 compared to 8 - looked worse. Also the need to change settings to avoid data being sent to Microsoft and the further push towards the cloud put me off.
Spectralis wrote on 1/24/2015, 12:13 PM
Advantages of 8.1 for me are much quicker start up and snappier response generally. I use it on a new built PC and haven't upgraded my Win 7 PC because it reports compatibility problems with certain drivers (UAD-1 & Powercore.) Otherwise I'd have upgraded that as well. I use Stardock 'Start8' for the 8.1 start menu - works like a charm. All the Metro stuff can be turned off so in many ways it's like working with 7 but much better start up & response times.

Also 8/8.1 never seems to crash or blue screen unlike 7 at times. The 8.1 upgrade went like butter whereas I've never been able to upgrade 7 to 7.1 despite trying various workarounds. Win 7 was a step up but Win 8 is a refinement of 7's best feature (shame about Metro though.) I expect Win 10 will be a refinement of Metro resulting in the OS finally refining and unifying desktop and Metro. We can hope...
autopilot wrote on 1/25/2015, 4:03 PM
What happened to 9? Conspiracy?
Jedman wrote on 1/25/2015, 5:02 PM
North Korea killed it :)
Kit wrote on 1/25/2015, 5:03 PM
I read reports that because of the numbering it would break a lot of third party programs but I think it is because Microsoft want to sell the idea of a clean sweep. I also read from 10 onwards they will have incremental changes effectively making it the last version. I think they are heading towards a cloud/subscription based model.
PeterDuke wrote on 1/25/2015, 5:16 PM
"I also read from 10 onwards they will have incremental changes effectively making it the last version."

We had names like "XP" and "Vista", why not "Ultimate"? Perhaps because the name has already been misused by countless other small fry.
TomG wrote on 1/26/2015, 6:44 AM
So does this mean that Windows 10 will have ONLY one version whereas Windows 7 had 6? (Starter Home Basic Home Premium Professional Ultimate Enterprise)

TomG
pilsburypie wrote on 1/26/2015, 7:29 AM
Free for a year? I'll upgrade after 364 days if the reports are all good. Let the other poor suckers iron out the faults.

As for introducing a subscription after the first free year, they have to let people know that at the start before they upgrade. To drop that on everyone after that year will cause uproar
Gary James wrote on 1/26/2015, 8:23 AM
If this is truly a shift to a "cloud" based OS, my current version of Win 7 Pro will be the last version of Windows I'll ever own. Microsoft can kiss my derriere if that's how they envision the future of PC Operating System software.

Relinquishing fundamental control of your computer to the "cloud" is something the NSA could only dream about. With this move Microsoft will be handing them the keys to every PC on the planet. It will be a bigger opportunity for trouble than placing a box of loaded shotguns in a cage full of monkeys.
OldSmoke wrote on 1/26/2015, 8:35 AM
@Gary James.

Now that is spot on!

Here is short paragraph that gives you an idea how privacy you actually have on your computer:

The first step of this process is finding Tor users. To accomplish this, the NSA relies on its vast capability to monitor large parts of the internet. This is done via the agency's partnership with US telecoms firms under programs codenamed Stormbrew, Fairview, Oakstar and Blarney.

The whole article is here but there are so many more out there to read.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

wwjd wrote on 1/26/2015, 8:54 AM
free for a year means you do not pay any money to BUY Win10 during its first year. Those that got it free during year one will not pay any more after that. But people a year late will have to BUY the OS for $ like normal. (The 1st year free people are beta testers in MY book)

It does not mean subscription is FREE for one year and then you start paying.
There are several articles about that on the web clearing that all up.

Win 10 will NOT be subscription based, cloud only thing. ....according to info from Microsoft.
OldSmoke wrote on 1/26/2015, 9:19 AM
[I]Win 10 will NOT be subscription based, cloud only thing[/I]

So eventually we will have to pay for their cloud services? If so, that would be the same.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

Spectralis wrote on 1/26/2015, 9:29 AM
WARNING - FULL CONSPIRACY MODE!

I predict MS will offer Win10 for free and then start a sub model after a year. There will be no reverting back to previous OS because all serials for previous OS are forfeited after Win10 installation. MS will move everything onto the Cloud after a year and without an internet connection the new OS will stop working without regularly phoning home.

Alternatively, maybe MS has finally woken up to the fact that Android is "free" and the money is in licensing their OS to hardware manufacturers. So they'll just have to come up with other ways to make money other than selling their OS to individual PC users.
wwjd wrote on 1/26/2015, 11:08 AM
"NOT a subscription based cloud thingy"

maybe my comma through you off
Spectralis wrote on 1/26/2015, 12:09 PM
I did write:

"WARNING - FULL CONSPIRACY MODE!"

Until we get the official details I reserve the right to scaremonger. While I'm exaggerating MS conspiracy theories in fun I still don't entirely take MS at face value.
rmack350 wrote on 1/26/2015, 6:09 PM
I can imagine MS doing this for free for a year. Sure.

Consider that most of the licenses MS sells come on new computers. Between the onslaught of tablets and the Great Recession, not a lot of new computers have been sold. I'm pretty sure that the market for desktops has shrunk but there's also been a lot of deferred replacement. So, I think they'll be making their money on OEM licenses. The free OS might actually spur a lot of computer replacements as people decide their hardware has gotten long in the tooth.

As for there being a subscription model, win10 could just be the mechanism to drive users to other subscriptions.

Rob
VidMus wrote on 1/26/2015, 6:35 PM
I think Microsoft has now realized that they need to evolve. So subscriptions for Microsoft Word and other products will be what pays for it.

SCS needs to evolve as well. They sell a number of useful applications that I would like to have but cannot afford. So like it or not, eventually a subscription model will be needed for them as well.

Maybe SCS can show Adobe how to do it right?

OK, everyone, do not start throwing things at me! LOL!

Really, how many upgrades can there be for Vegas that justifies the costs? How many NEW things can be added?

There are quite a number of people here who are still using older versions of Vegas. It is no wonder SCS can no longer afford the seminar series, etc.

The writing is on the wall! SCS makes money or they will fade away. Same with Microsoft.

A number of once BIG companies have folded because they failed to evolve.

No matter how big a company is, they are not immune to stagnation...

FPP wrote on 1/27/2015, 9:13 PM
The one thing I hate the most, is when I spend months and months getting my workstation to play nice with the software that also took months and months to learn, and then I have to hope and pray that a new OS won't regurgitate all my burned midnight oil.
I am a PC person for life and I hope someday Microsoft will settle down with a OS that will be "future-proof". I'm willing to spend the extra money if my CPU could outlast my pick-up truck.