OT: would like to watch commercial BDs on an OEM BD player...

megabit wrote on 1/23/2017, 4:03 AM

I have an OEM version of Samsung BD drive, so no software came with it. While of course its main purpose is to burn and play my own BDs/DVDs (which it does just fine), I'd like to play some commercial (protected) BDs as well from time time, for my personal entertainment only. How do I go around the protection? Do I need to spend on a software player like PowerDVD, even if I'm only going to use it like several times a year? Thanks for any help.

Piotr

AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP2933  | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

Comments

Dr Zen wrote on 1/23/2017, 4:32 AM

I buy Blu-rays and DVDs from all regions of the world, because I watch a lot of Foreign Films which just never are for sale in Australia. I have 2x LiteOn drives in my PC. I also use Cyberlink PowerDVD as my main media player.

Many years ago, I was able to download a Region Reset app that works only for LiteOn drives. It gives you the ability to reset past the 5x maximum changes over and over again.
http://www.driverskit.com/freedownload/Firmware/LiteOn/Manufactured_Drives_Region_Free_Utility_LtnRPC/13727.html

This article here may help you as a starting point. I have no idea if the same type of reset app exists for Samsung drives.
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/blog/software-unlock-region-dvd-drive-region-free-dvd-drive/

Regards
Derek

megabit wrote on 1/23/2017, 4:37 AM

Thanks, but it's not even the Region setting incompatibility problem - all my software players just cannot read those BDs at all, complaining about AACS-related limitations..

Piotr

AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP2933  | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

Dr Zen wrote on 1/23/2017, 5:28 AM

Have you downloaded and tried the free trial for Power DVD 16 ?
That was the main reason why I bought this, so I could watch all my Blu-rays.

PeterDuke wrote on 1/23/2017, 5:32 PM

I understand that you normally have to buy software to play copy protected BDs, because of royalties. Some cheap BD players will not play the BD menu, only the main feature. I thought PowerDVD was the best when I last looked at software BD players some time ago, but I am not a fan of its user interface. I found that the decryption in WinDVD was temperamental, not playing well with other software.

megabit wrote on 1/23/2017, 8:57 PM

Yes guys, I realize all that and yes - I installed the PowerDVD trial. I was hoping that even when ti expires, it will leave some essential codecs and libraries behind which would enable simple BD playback using free software players like VLC, Potplayer or MPC-HC; unfortunately they still don't work... I have lots of expenditures now trying to make my equipment complete, hence the hope for a free playback solution... Oh well - I guess I will need to buy PowerDVD once my current investments are finished :)

Piotr

Dr Zen wrote on 1/23/2017, 9:42 PM

PowerDVD 16 is on sale and with extra 20% discount. You won't get it any cheaper than it is right now.

GJeffrey wrote on 1/23/2017, 10:20 PM

This may be