Comments

Laurence wrote on 6/27/2011, 6:28 AM
Jobs will yell at some people, heads will roll, and FCPX will become a viable product. Those who stick through the pain will end up with something almost as good as Vegas in some ways, and slightly better in others.

The thing is that good or bad, pretty much everyone I am going to be working with in the next few years is going to be working on some version of FCP, and it gets lonely being out here all alone (except for you guys) sometimes.

In the mean time, I have deadlines to meet and projects to get done and doing it with Vegas instead of FCP means that I can still have time for my wife and children....
Steve Mann wrote on 6/27/2011, 8:36 AM
"heads will roll"

It already happened. In February, 2010, Apple laid off 40 engineers from the FCP team. April 2010, Apple was a no-show at the NAB (and they have never gone back). Apple's last major release to Final Cut Pro was made in July 2009.

Sure does sound to me like a death march for the product.
je@on wrote on 6/27/2011, 11:00 AM
I predict no backtracking from APPL on FCPX. FCP was in dire need of a makeover but the so-called "professional" video market is too small to provide any return on investment for the re-engineering. Not to mention that the so-called "professional" market has changed since FCP came out. It's become smaller, production shops are smaller, projects are smaller (cheaper). The entire paradigm around which FCP was constructed no longer exists. Adobe and Avid will get a few new customers. Meanwhile APPL will sell a LOT of software and computers. --- Now waiting for Sony to kill the Pro version of Vegas since it's now overpriced. (Assuming FCPX is the new benchmark.)

Your mileage may vary...
rs170a wrote on 6/27/2011, 11:58 AM
Now waiting for Sony to kill the Pro version of Vegas since it's now overpriced. (Assuming FCPX is the new benchmark.)

FCP X - $300
Automatic Duck Pro Export (for export to Pro Tools) - $495
Compressor - $50
AJA VTR Exchange or Black Magic Media Express (to be able to output to tape) - free with purchase of one of either company's hardware boards - $200 and up

You're now up to $1,045.00 (more than Vegas) and odds are that there's still more hardware and software you'll need to buy for your Mac.

edited for proper price on Automatic Duck Pro Export (thanks to dxdy for the correction)

Mike
dxdy wrote on 6/27/2011, 12:26 PM
Actually, that's $495 for Duck Pro, the $195 is an upgrade price.
Marc S wrote on 6/27/2011, 3:06 PM
Video was pulled from Vimeo. Looks like Apple can't take the same heat they always gave Microsoft in their own ads.
SuperG wrote on 6/27/2011, 3:54 PM
"Looks like Apple can't take the same heat they always gave Microsoft in their own ads."

Well, I was hoping to see what the video was about.

But yeah, Apple is very sensitive about criticism - they sell 'cool', and rely on it for a lot of sales. Without that, they'd just be another computer company forced to market on their merits.
Marc S wrote on 6/27/2011, 4:42 PM
It has reappeared on youtube:

]
SuperG wrote on 6/27/2011, 6:44 PM
Thanks for the link.

Speaking of 'cool', Microsoft lost that a while ago. However, I see that as a good thing. The whole 'Vista' fiasco gave them a bit of pause, they retrenched, then came out with Windows 7 which most would agree is a vast improvement.

Maybe the lesson is that when you're a large vendor with a dependent customer base, you don't want to oversell. Customer's will start to see their relationship in a light the company may not like.
paul_w wrote on 6/28/2011, 10:42 AM
And... here's another one

Final Cut Pro X - Parody Ad - FCPX[/link]

and news just in... Apple are REFUNDING customers for FCPX

Paul
paul_w wrote on 6/28/2011, 10:57 AM
This is still my favorite:

Conan O'Brien Editors: Apple Final Cut Pro X Is Easy To Use [/link]

Right, i am going to start being nice to Apple people and leaving this alone now!

Paul
rmack350 wrote on 6/28/2011, 5:52 PM
and news just in... Apple are REFUNDING customers for FCPX

Okay, so...FCPX looks a lot like Vegas, and the Final Cut user base wants their money back.

Rob
Steve Mann wrote on 6/28/2011, 7:36 PM
Vegas 3 has more features than FCPX.
rmack350 wrote on 6/28/2011, 11:17 PM
Vegas 3 has more features than FCPX.

Sure. I haven't tallied up a feature comparison, but I'll take your word for it. However, if you read some of the posts following these articles about FCPX you can get a pretty good idea of what the FCP7 users are concerned about, and as far as I can tell, they'd have the same complaints about Vegas.

One thing I see is that all of these complaints about FCPX are things people have said about Vegas over the years. Some of these things are STILL complaints about Vegas (Like poor EDL support, no OMF, etc).

To be sure, FCPX seems by all accounts to be half-baked. I wonder, though if Apple will be more responsive and proactive than SoFo and Sony have been? I'd think they could do for FCPX in about a year what Sony did with Vegas in 5 or 6 years, If only because they ought to have a clearer vision of what they need to do.

Rob
deusx wrote on 6/29/2011, 9:27 AM
yeah, what he said. No, the other guy.
SuperG wrote on 7/1/2011, 10:12 PM
Mac kills your inner child...

Oldie but goodie!