Comments

riredale wrote on 11/6/2005, 10:05 AM
The first time I saw it, I thought, "Cool outfit!"

Then I realized there wasn't any neck. This thing is completely CG?
mjroddy wrote on 11/6/2005, 11:31 AM
Definitely all CG. Mighty cool, though!
winrockpost wrote on 11/6/2005, 3:14 PM
the running scenes look a little too real,, all generated ?
Jay Gladwell wrote on 11/6/2005, 4:04 PM

the running scenes look a little too real,, all generated ?

Yes, all cgi. The term escapes me at the moment, but they probably used a digitized, live-action reference film. The actor wears a black skin-tight body suit with reflective balls located at certain points on the human frame. Those balls, as the figure moves, are scanned into a computer which can duplicate those movements so the cgi animation will appear more fluid and human-like.

[EDIT]
Here is another example of live-action referencing.

mm2k wrote on 11/6/2005, 4:27 PM
too bad i have not seen a full feature film with this much fluid of movement. He looks real as far as my eyes can see, thats very very impressive.
Sullivan wrote on 11/6/2005, 5:51 PM
The term you want is "motion capture" also called "mocap"
Harold Brown wrote on 11/8/2005, 9:48 PM
Looks like live footage was filmed in Soweto, South Africa near the hospital. Been there and they need this robot!!!
Stonefield wrote on 11/8/2005, 11:10 PM
The man responsible for this ad is Neill Blomkamp / The Embassy.

I've not spoken to him in a couple years so I'm not sure what he's up to. But I'm sure it's something groundbreaking in the area of 3D animation and/or film direction. Real nice guy, and incredibly talented. He was based here in Vancouver last I heard.

Do a search under his name or The Embassy FX to see more of his work.

An old high school buddy of mine made a fun short with him once. Kind of a take off on the Kung Fu fighting/Matrix movies. All very tongue in cheek and very fun.

Hope he's doing well....

Stan