Photoshop CC Deadline Approaching

Andy_L wrote on 8/9/2013, 6:36 PM
Adobe is currently offering a 1-yr 1-app CC promotional rate of 9.99 per month for existing CS owners. The offer expires at the end of August, and as much as I hate to do it, I'm thinking I'm going to have to sign up.

That Camera RAW as layer feature in CC is just incredible. If you haven't tried it, I do recommend downloading the free trial, importing video into photoshop, and seeing just how powerful it is to have the full power of the Camera Raw tools when grading video.

For the past few weeks I've been running comparisons between the CC trial and Vegas Pro, trying to see if I can duplicate in Vegas what I can do in CC with Camera Raw. It's kind of a depressing comparison. Like telegraph versus Smart Phone. :)

As a consumer, I don't think I've ever felt so helpless. There just isn't anything else comparable to Photoshop available. But if I sign up for CC, I'm validating the model, as well as making myself even more helpless every time Adobe decides to up the subscription fee. No easy answer here.

Comments

amendegw wrote on 8/9/2013, 6:47 PM
Message Deleted. Re-read the original post & see my post does not apply.

...Jerry

System Model: Alienware Area-51m R2
System: Windows 11 Home
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz, 3792 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Memory: 64.0 GB
Display Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super (8GB), Nvidia Studio Driver 527.56 Dec 2022)
Overclock Off

Display: 1920x1080 144 hertz
Storage (12TB Total):
OS Drive: PM981a NVMe SAMSUNG 2048GB
Data Drive1: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB
Data Drive2: Samsung SSD 870 QVO 8TB

USB: Thunderbolt 3 (USB Type-C) port Supports USB 3.2 Gen 2, DisplayPort 1.2, Thunderbolt 3

Cameras:
Canon R5
Canon R3
Sony A9

Derm wrote on 8/9/2013, 7:00 PM
Adobe's rental model is a complete deal breaker for me and I assume many others. I am in Europe and prices are considerably higher. I bought the last downloadable version which was for me Production Premium 6, I love PS 6, but will never subscribe to the rental deal and I have passed this opinion on to Adobe, fwiw, in a Q & A
Marc S wrote on 8/10/2013, 12:38 AM
That is a really cool feature so I can see your dilemma. Too bad Adobe has opted to treat it's loyal customers in this way. I just tested Lightroom 5 and it does not allow the develop module to be used on video so Photoshop CC is the only option for this feature. Magic Bullet Looks does have some similar features but I agree that Camera Raw control on video sounds awesome.

I recently upgraded to CS6 because Vegas could just not handle large projects with files from the EX1. Premiere handles the job without issue. That said I never plan on using the new Adobe hostage rental model. It's just too unreasonable for me and I think there will be other alternatives by the time I outgrow CS6. Who knows perhaps even Vegas will become a stable and robust program once again (ooohhhhh... the good old days). I think Adobe is making a big mistake and hopefully will change their mind in the future if enough people boycott the Cloud.
JasonATL wrote on 8/10/2013, 6:23 AM
[I]As a consumer, I don't think I've ever felt so helpless. There just isn't anything else comparable to Photoshop available. But if I sign up for CC, I'm validating the model, as well as making myself even more helpless every time Adobe decides to up the subscription fee. No easy answer here.[/I]

This strikes me as a bit funny. I would think you would be [I]helpless[/I] as a consumer if you couldn't find any tool that could achieve the results you want. The fact that you have found a tool that does what you want suggests that the tool has value to you - value that you seem to suggest you cannot find in another tool.

The key question is: is the value you get from the tool worth the price you pay for it?

You seem to be trying to frame this simple question into something far too complex, in my opinion. I think the answer is easily found in answering the question above. The price for what you get now is the price. If they raise the price in the future and the value is no longer worth that price, you can decide to dump it. You are not signing up for anything beyond your contract.

It isn't as if Adobe is spiking their products with some addictive substance that forces people to buy their products against their will. To maintain their subscription revenues, they must continue to develop useful and valuable tools for the consumer or else competitors will do so and Adobe will lose customers to those competitors. It is this fundamental economic competition that has provided us with these wonderful tools with which we can be creative.
mat536 wrote on 8/10/2013, 6:33 AM
in terms of using the develop module in Lightroom for video, what you can do is save a frame of video, 'grade' or 'develop' the frame/still and copy the metadata from the still to the video, in this way 'grading' the film clip.

see these for example:

http://philipbloom.net/forum/threads/lightroom-4-1-for-color-grading.1981/

or

http://www.learningdslrvideo.com/lightroom-4-video-color/

have fun.
Mindmatter wrote on 8/10/2013, 8:06 AM
That's really interesting info!
What I could not quite see is what codec is it that Lightroom will be able to handle or accept, and what codec choices you have for export?

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 12x 3.7 GHz
32 GB DDR4-3200 MHz (2x16GB), Dual-Channel
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, 8GB GDDR6, HDMI, DP, studio drivers
ASUS PRIME B550M-K, AMD B550, AM4, mATX
7.1 (8-chanel) Surround-Sound, Digital Audio, onboard
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB, NVMe M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
be quiet! System Power 9 700W CM, 80+ Bronze, modular
2x WD red 6TB
2x Samsung 2TB SSD

Terje wrote on 8/23/2013, 11:14 PM
>> I am in Europe and prices are considerably higher

For the record, setting up and address in the US for non-US residents is straightforward, and all you need on adobe.com is a US address in order to qualify for US pricing. You will need to have your bank approve charges with the mentioned address as billing address. Most banks in the country where I currently do not live (obviously) in Europe allow you to assign a US address to your account. Since I obviously (in case Adobe reads these fora) have not moved to Europe from the US, this is information I have received from a friend who has.

For me the CC deal is fantastic. I used to use Photoshop, Lightroom and Premiere Pro, and being a geek, I also upgraded each version. This meant that I bought Production Premium. CC is quite a bit lower in price than PP. I use this stuff mostly for fun, but some for business. Perhaps 10% is business related. This will increase now that I have CC since CC offers access to apps that are "nice to have" items for business. For me it seems that, if you are using CC for business, the deal is quite amazing. Even with European pricing.
Andy_L wrote on 9/4/2013, 7:35 PM
Adobe had updated the CC offer with a much more attractive deal for photographers:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html#pslr-bundle

bottom line is you now get PS + Lightroom for the 9.99 price per month "forever"

If they are similarly aggressive with other bundle prices, maybe we can live with subscription software after all... :)
wwaag wrote on 10/14/2013, 4:30 PM
Andy L wrote:

bottom line is you now get PS + Lightroom for the 9.99 price per month "forever"

This is no longer the case. That statement has been removed from their FAQ. In a "live chat", they confirmed that the price after the first year "could" be increased, meaning that most likely it will. Too bad, since $9.99 per month from now on seemed like a good deal.

AKA the HappyOtter at https://tools4vegas.com/. System 1: Intel i7-8700k with HD 630 graphics plus an Nvidia RTX4070 graphics card. System 2: Intel i7-3770k with HD 4000 graphics plus an AMD RX550 graphics card. System 3: Laptop. Dell Inspiron Plus 16. Intel i7-11800H, Intel Graphics. Current cameras include Panasonic FZ2500, GoPro Hero11 and Hero8 Black plus a myriad of smartPhone, pocket cameras, video cameras and film cameras going back to the original Nikon S.

NormanPCN wrote on 10/14/2013, 5:00 PM
I agree with this.

Renewal
After the first 12 months, we will automatically renew your contract based on the current price of the offering.

http://www.adobe.com/store/en_us/popup/offer/ccm_photoshop_app_offer.html

Seems like renewal is allowed to be the current price at renewal time.
Laurence wrote on 10/14/2013, 5:40 PM
I let it go. I didn't want to start paying $50 a month next year. My CS version was 5 but I updated Photoshop to version 6 before they started doing the license thing. I really love Photoshop but can live without the rest of the suite. I am already looking at different photo editing options but none has captured my fancy so far.
Former user wrote on 10/17/2013, 8:05 PM
I had signed up for the Photography bundle, but after less than a month decided to cancel as I did not want to be caught in a cycle of monthly payments.
So have also been looking at other photo editing software and keep hearing good things about Photoline. Don't go by the web site, maybe download and try first. I am liking what I see at this stage.
http://www.pl32.com/
(sorry don't know how to set links)