plug ins not showing up In CD Architect

studioLord wrote on 2/27/2013, 9:29 PM
I recently replaced the iLok with my Waves Native Bundle plug ins. (I had bent it and the plug ins did not show up in Pro Tools Le)
When I was using CD Arch I could use the plug ins fine but since I changed the iLok they do not show up in the choices. I rteally need to use the Master plug in if at all possible.
Can someone tell me how to fix this?
Thanks
John

Comments

jackn2mpu wrote on 2/28/2013, 7:46 PM
I assume you were using Directixer! to wrap the vst plugs - maybe that's not working with the current versions of Waves plugs. Waves doesn't support dxi directly and CDA doesn't use vst plugs.

Also did you download the licenses to your replacement iLok? That's assuming you had ZDT on your iLok (ZDT only gives you a temporary 14 day license) or you talked Waves into giving you replacement licenses.

Jack
studioLord wrote on 3/3/2013, 5:50 PM
Yes, I did all the required steps, getting the iLok in place and operating correctly; and the plugins work fine in Pro Tools.... It's not showing up in CD Arch. and it did before...
I think it's a setting in CD Arch... Any ideas there?
Geoff_Wood wrote on 3/3/2013, 10:38 PM
Sorry, not clear if you ran a VST/DX-wrapper or not. CD-A does cannot see/use VST plugins directly, just DX.

geoff
jackn2mpu wrote on 3/4/2013, 4:54 PM
The reason the plugs seem to work fine in Pro Tools is because PT uses RTAS and not vst or dx plugs. Actually PT can use vst plugs but it needs the fxpansion wrapper to wrap the vst plugs. And that wrapper has it's share of bugs and hasn't been updated for a while.

Jack

PS: Did you actually use a wrapper on the plugs to go to dxi? A simple yes or no would suffice.
studioLord wrote on 3/7/2013, 7:47 PM
I'm sorry but I do not know what a "wrapper " is...
I only know that the plug ins (Waves Native Bundle) showed up in CD Arch before I broke the iLok. Once I replaced the iLok the plugins did not show up.

I appreciate the help and again I apologize for being ignorant about how these things work. If someone can 'instruct' me on what to look for in CD Arch that might "turn on the plug ins" I think I could follow the instructions.
Thanks
John
jackn2mpu wrote on 3/8/2013, 8:56 AM
A wrapper is a program that 'wraps' a piece of software (in this case a plugin) with some code so that said plugin can work in another format it wasn't originally designed for. There's nothing to turn on in CDA for the plugs to work. They MUST be in the proper plugin format and for CDA that is dx, not vst or RTAS. RTAS is the proprietary format used by Pro Tools.

When a plugin is installed you are asked what formats you want installed. Try re-running the plugin installer and see what options you have when the installer comes up. You might have options for dx, vst, au and RTAS. Select dx for use in CDA (as well as whatever other formats your daw of choice uses). Waves doesn't support dx format so you'll need a wrapper for that.

You say you replaced your iLok. When you got the new one did you download your licenses onto the new one? Depending on how you got the new iLok (whether through iLok's Zero Downtime or by returning the iLok to iLok for repair) you'll have to also get new licenses from Waves and whoever else's plugs you have. New iloks are blank - you have to download the licenses to them yourself. Oh yeah - the iLok.com doesn't work well with Firefox as a broswer. Better off with Internet Explorer on a PXC or Safari if on a Mac.

You have a lot to learn and some reading on the subject as well as Googling things will help you in the long run.

Jack
studioLord wrote on 3/8/2013, 8:23 PM
Jack.... thank you so much for the heads up on my issue. I will certainly begin the learning process. I need the use of these plugins for Mastering on my CD projects.

I did indeed register the new iLok and if memory serves, I downloaded the Waves into the new iLok and it worked great in Pro Tools LE.... I shall begin the "quest" of knowledge about what needs to be done to accomplish this goal. You have been a great deal of help. If there is anything i can do in return, please call on me to assist. I love to help when I can.
John
jackn2mpu wrote on 3/9/2013, 3:46 PM
No problem; Pro Tools 10 user here. Are you using 8LE or 9LE?

Like I've been saying PT uses RTAS and that's what you probably loaded onto your system. You need to use a wrapper to make the Waves plugs work in CDA. By the way - which Waves bundle are you using? There are plenty of Native bundles some of which are plenty expensive. Waves v9 plugs don't need an iLok anymore as Waves changed their authorization system.

Jack
seanmccoy wrote on 7/27/2013, 11:05 PM
Sorry if this has been discussed previously, but has Sony ever given any indication they would someday release a new version of CDA that allow VST use?
kbruff wrote on 10/13/2014, 1:08 PM
Would be great if CDA would enable vst 2 / 3, would essentially make this a powerful cd layout tool. As it stands barely nothing is released as dx.
Geoff_Wood wrote on 10/14/2014, 4:55 PM
Sadly they are unlikely to add this now. Has been begged for for the last 5(?) years or more.

But DX-VST wrappers work fine, if not a bit fiddly ....

.... and it is still THE powerful CD layout and final mastering tool for me. Just so intuitive and easy/quick to navigate. Apart from the VST plugin issue, and inability to save an ISO image. The plugin concurrency=cpu load thing seems no longer an issue with the higher zoop systems these days.

geoff
kbruff wrote on 10/15/2014, 8:34 PM
Its great...I will use the Izotope Ozone plugs since they continue to offer a version as a DX plugin.

Really wanted to use some waves and others...etc.