Preparing Blu-ray: Warning: An error occurred while writing a file.

Techweasel wrote on 6/29/2020, 9:19 PM

Hi all,

Really hoping someone can help me out of a jam. I just did a fresh install of DVD Architect 7 for a short notice project and overall have really liked the system (very similar to the Mac-based authoring software I've used in the past but was increasingly difficult to keep working on new hardware). Having access to scripting is a real boon (although we're not using any on this particular project)

Was able to get my project done with only minor learning curve hurdles - it previews fine, review gives no errors or warnings, and is well within space limits (22/25GB) - but when trying to prepare to an img I'm getting the constant error message:

Warning: An error occurred while writing a file.

An invalid argument was specified.

Googling turns up some render errors from Vegas with that issue - but nothing for DVDA and so I'm facing a bit of a wall. I don't have any other Vegas products, we only need authoring - is DVDA rendering dependant on a different Vegas product installation?

FWIW all my media is already Bluray compliant MP4/AC3 from mac workflows - we're only using this windows machine for authoring.

The only rendering required for the project is menus - so I'm not sure what else I could do to work around this.

Any other suggestions would be *greatly* appreciated, as I'm fighting a ticking clock on this as it's an item for a live event that's fast approaching!



EricLNZ wrote on 6/29/2020, 10:05 PM

DVDA is a stand alone product.

One suggestion - go to Options/Preferences and the Burning tab. Look at where the two folders are and whether they have sufficient space. Also consider changing them from the default locations in case its a Windows permissions problem.

Techweasel wrote on 6/30/2020, 9:55 AM

Hi Eric, I should have mentioned that I had tried to render out in several locations, and that confirmed disk space isn't an issue. But confirming that DVDA should standalone output was a help, so I knew it wasn't a waste of time to spend more time trying to diagnose.

I started making little new projects just with a single menu and the same assets to rule out source encoding issues - and I was able to render out those "test" projects with no problems. So I used trial and error to start cutting parts out of my original project to try and narrow down where the issue might be.

In the end, the error appears to have been caused by a single menu which had two buttons with "Resume" actions set. If I changed either of them to standard "Link" actions, so there was only *one* Resume - it looks like it will output without issue (it's just processing now). If *both* buttons are set to "Resume", the export immediately fails with the error above.

I would love to know from technical support if this is a known limitation, or if it's something anyone else has come up against? Finding a work-around in this specific case wasn't hard once we located the issue - but it was a lot of work to track down two specific buttons out of the entire project, and makes me a little uncomfortable about what other kind of "edge case" weirdness we might find down the line.

Techweasel wrote on 7/8/2020, 12:22 PM

Just in conclusion to this thread - I ultimately was able to get disks output, but "resume" functionality (even if just a single link) never worked properly on Blu-ray output (weirdly if converted to a DVD project it worked fine). If anyone has any further insight into why "resume" links don't function on Blu-ray projects (or having 2 "resume" links in a menu would crash the render/mux process) - please let me know.

Jack S wrote on 7/8/2020, 5:00 PM

@Techweasel Please see my response to your other post here.