pretty much OT: How'd they do that? (website)

FrigidNDEditing wrote on 5/19/2009, 11:47 AM
How do they do this website like this? (making it all move around opposite the mouse, it's cool, and kinda wiggs me out at the same time).

FYI there is music embedded in the site.

(also media is pretty slick - if you're looking for inspiration - though much of it is just AE and Twitch and RiotGear I believe, not hard to duplicate with the same stuff, but nice looking vids none the same)

Comments

ingvarai wrote on 5/19/2009, 11:56 AM
They use the Flash technology. Flash is a "secure" Active X" plug in in the IE browser, in Firefox it probably is not called Flash, the technology nevertheless is the same.
Basically - what you see is a Windows application running inside your browser. In a Windows application you are not locked to the HTML and DHTML boundaries and limitations. Anything imaginable plus a few more things can be programmed, which is just what you see.
To make this, you use one of the many tools out there to generate Flash applications, expensive ones by Adobe, cheaper or free ones by others.

ingvarai
FrigidNDEditing wrote on 5/19/2009, 12:00 PM
ok I guess I should have said that I knew it was flash.

I guess I never thought about making the whole site react to the position of the cursor over the web page.

Dave
Terje wrote on 5/19/2009, 3:05 PM
>> I guess I never thought about making the whole site react
>> to the position of the cursor over the web page.

Some nifty Action Script that listens to mouseMove events, gets the position and moves stuff around according to some mathematical formula. Not too hard but it would require a bunch of ActionScript, or, which might be the case here, it is some sort of library bought from a third party.

Not too hard once you have the design like you want it. Assuming you know ActionScript that is.