Comments

Paul_Holmes wrote on 3/23/2003, 3:38 PM
You need to do a print-to-tape (Under tools). You can do it in manual mode instead of automatic if you don't want to record to a DV tape. Hopefully you have composite and S-Video out from your camcorder. Connect those up to your VHS or Super-VHS player (use the S-Video IF you've got a Super-VHS recorder) while you're running the print to tape to your camcorder.
craftech wrote on 3/23/2003, 4:10 PM
Set up an external preview monitor AFTER the VCR. Basically if you can see the image on the monitor, you can record it on the VCR.

John
statas wrote on 3/23/2003, 9:30 PM
what good is recording to svhs (except for a mastertape), if non-svhs vcrs can't play svhs tapes? i could be wrong, but that's how i understand it.
fuzzzzy wrote on 3/24/2003, 11:25 AM
Thanks guys,

As I understand from the replies, I must play the DV tape back through my firewire card into the camcorder "WITHOUT A TAPE IN IT" and use the camcorder S or RGB outlet into the VCR machine ?

fuzzzzy
Summersond wrote on 3/24/2003, 12:49 PM
SVHS vcr's have a "S-Video" jack that you can use to input the video signal, rather than the normal composite video signal (RCA type jack). It breaks the video up into separate signals which gives a better quality recording. What Paul was hinting at, I believe, is that you can record to a regular VHS tape, but use the S-Video signal for better results.

dave
Paul_Holmes wrote on 3/24/2003, 1:37 PM
Exactly, Sommersond. Unfortuately, I only hinted at it. Should have made that more clear.
RonR wrote on 3/24/2003, 1:58 PM
I was asked a related question by a non-video editing friend yesterday that I had no immediate answer for. Maybe somebody can help. This friend has video of some sort in his computer that he wants to record to VHS. What is the simplest way to do this? Is there a software program that will do this directly without the use of an editor?
RonR
craftech wrote on 3/24/2003, 4:01 PM
If his video card has a composite output, he can record from there. What is his setup?
RonR wrote on 3/25/2003, 4:32 PM
I do not know details of his computer as he is a friend of a friend whom I just happened to meet in passing. I will check with my friend about his computer.
Thanx, RonR
RonR wrote on 3/25/2003, 10:22 PM
Just spoke to this friend and he says he can output to the VHS but the problem is that his computer is set up for VGA and this gives a reduced image size on his TV screen due to the 1024 lines on the computer monitor v 500 or so line resolution of the TV. Is there a simple solution to this?
Thanx, RonR
Chienworks wrote on 3/26/2003, 6:31 AM
I suppose this depends greatly on which video card is being used, but most of them will only handle full screen output to the TV at either 640x480 or 800x600 resolution. Try setting the card for SVGA 800x600, playing the file in Windows Media Player, and as soon as the playback starts press Alt-Enter to switch the player to full screen mode.

It's very helpful to have 5 to 10 seconds of black/silence at the beginning and end of the video to allow for the time it takes to switch to full screen, get the tape running, etc.
RonR wrote on 3/26/2003, 11:37 AM
Thanks. I will pass that on.
RonR